Xtratime Community banner

721 - 740 of 894 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Messi definitely needed to step up in big CL QF games, like Ronaldo was. Their 3 QF exits since 2015, he didn't score in any of them.

And has done this season.

Fair play.
Yeah sure, he is still the better player by individual performance for all those years than Ronaldo. Average match (any competition) he outperforms Ronaldo.

Also, if we factor in beauty, is Ronaldo even relevant? Scoring headers and tap-ins is good for the stats, but I doubt anyone can remember any of the goals Ronaldo has scored for the past 4 years.

·
Registered
46,150 Posts
Because CL is more important than any other club competition. CR7 is proving it on his own skin, since he has won serie A and no one gives a ****.

·
Registered
46,150 Posts
Also, if we factor in beauty, is Ronaldo even relevant? Scoring headers and tap-ins is good for the stats, but I doubt anyone can remember any of the goals Ronaldo has scored for the past 4 years.
The overhead kick vs Juventus one year ago, out of my head. Again, if we are talking about a Messi v Ronaldo, I accept any opinion, if the argument is CR7 scores thanks to tap-ins instead...

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Liverpool played an excellent game up until the 70th minute. I fully understand if Klopp's satisfied with his team. They had a good attacking variety for the first 55-60 minutes where they tried to utilize their pace behind Barcelona's defense. Sergi Roberto was strongly affected by this (hence why Semedo came on) and I think they should've used Arthur instead of Vidal. It turned out good in the end but it won't always be the case. I also think Liverpool showed up several defensive and pressing concepts which I think were incredibly well executed. It had everything: quickness, precision, aggressiveness, intensity.

They were also good in terms of neutralizing Barcelona's pressing game for large parts of the game: ter Stegen to fullback, Piqué to switch plays etc. There were patches where they didn't do it as well during the mentioned 70 minutes but they played with lots of authority. Barcelona actually had to invent a play with ter Stegen-Vidal (long central pass to the middle of the pitch) late in the second half to avoid losing the ball. I really liked how Liverpool used the ball. That last part is very hard to achieve and it's a very positive sign for the future.

The difference between fighting with Barcelona and Madrid (as people in Spain will know) compared to Manchester City is that they have a few exceptional players who make the type of difference that wins you games. It has been shown in the league during the past decade that Messi is simply better than anyone else but unfortunately lots of people choose to ignore this because they don't really watch what happens in LaLiga but the Champions League. It's harder to win LaLiga than the Champions League..because you need to keep Messi and Suárez at bay for 38 rounds as opposed to a double header x3 plus a final..

Reactions: camelface

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Btw, this might sound crazy but I wouldn't be surprised if Liverpool put 3 goals past Barcelona in the return leg if they play like they did yesterday. Circumstances will of course condition all of this..however, Barcelona have Messi and them going goalless from Anfield will be very hard.

Dembélé should've taken the game to 4-0 or even 5-0 btw. Some horrendous finishing on his part.

Reactions: kırmızımavi

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
The overhead kick vs Juventus one year ago, out of my head. Again, if we are talking about a Messi v Ronaldo, I accept any opinion, if the argument is CR7 scores thanks to tap-ins instead...
Yeah that was a nice goal, but it's very rare for Ronaldo to score goals like that while Messi does crazy things every other match. Ronaldo is a football machine while Messi is a football god.

Btw, this might sound crazy but I wouldn't be surprised if Liverpool put 3 goals past Barcelona in the return leg if they play like they did yesterday. Circumstances will of course condition all of this..however, Barcelona have Messi and them going goalless from Anfield will be very hard.

Dembélé should've taken the game to 4-0 or even 5-0 btw. Some horrendous finishing on his part.
It's possible, I agree with you that Liverpool looked like the better team for most of the match, but they didn't really have chances to score goals so it will be interesting to see. A more aggressive approach also means you are giving Messi more room so that might backfire too. Also Dumbele missing those chances was hilarious, you could see Messi was frustrated because he is thinking the same that 3-0 might not be enough.

·
Administrator
30,579 Posts
Liverpool needs more Egyptian players and less "son" players in the team. Very fast, intense, but not really creative without much space and Firmino helping out the building of the play and opening space with his movimentation.

·
Registered
17,504 Posts
lol it's Khalid.

Everything he says, the opposite happens.

I said its Messi’s year in February, so we shall see...

As for poor defense, Liverpool’s defense is no worse than barca’s, just one team hit the post from 5 yeards the other scored a freekick from 30 yards, both had more or less same number of shots on goal...

·
Registered
17,504 Posts
Great game in Anfield, best two teams in europe ATM

·
Registered
17,504 Posts
Dembele must be feeling like shit now :D

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,495 Posts

·
Registered
13,888 Posts
LIVERPOOL IS THE 2ND GREATEST CLUB IN HISTORY AFTER REAL!!! MAGICAL TEAM!!! :proud:

·
Registered
17,504 Posts
Well, u cannot blame Messi for his teammates doing everything not to win a CL, again...

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,495 Posts

·
Registered
17,504 Posts
And the time every year where Pique confirms he is shit then the summer comes and he starts another season is here :D

Amazing what Pique gets away with year after year, his rating today is a solid 0 out of 10...

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,495 Posts
721 - 740 of 894 Posts