Xtratime Community banner

Who will win the 2008/09 Champions League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's back! No thread?!

It could be the most exciting and compelling edition yet, with teams like Atlético Madrid and Zenit St.Petersburg definitely capable of making a deep run and causing a few upsets along the way. Bayern Munich and Juventus are the two stand-out names returning to the competition this year, with Bayern in particular looking strong enough to be considered a contender. And then of course there are the usual suspects; the top four in England, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Inter. From a pure romanticism point of view it would be wonderful to see Totti hoist the European trophy in front of the Curva Sud at the Olimpico.

Someone please attach a poll where we can vote for the winner.

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
Or Juve can win it like they did in Rome as well back in 96. ;)

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
My last 16:

Group A
Chelsea
Roma

Group B
Internazionale
Bremen

Group C
Barcelona
Sporting

Group D
Liverpool
Atletico

Group E
Man. United
Villarreal

Group F
Lyon
Bayern

Group G
Arsenal
Porto

Group H
Real Madrid
Zenit

Final: Chelsea d. Real Madrid 3-2.

·
Registered
13,606 Posts
Someone please attach a poll where we can vote for the winner.
30 options max and there's 32 teams. sure one can leave out the likes of bate borisov or anthorsis because realistically they aren't going to win it but that wouldn't be fair.
poll's to come when there are 16 teams left :pp

·
1st Tier Poster
49,978 Posts
yeah there's 32 teams but looking at it logically it's a fact that some teams simply won't be able to win this competition. so we could have a poll with 30 teams

you can leave Anothorsis Famagusta and Inter out IMO

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
i say remove anorthosis and BATE
or just put 29 teams and merge Aalborg, anorthosis and BATE in one vote as the underdogs

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I predict Inter... to beat Chelsea in the final :cool:

·
Registered
11,267 Posts
Who will win the 2008/09 Champions League?

ok sweet poll finally added. sorry MM, but people on XT seem to quite like polls....

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
who will win?

The Galactic team with 4/5 balon winners....

ac milan.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Atlético Madrid with Pernía lifting the CL-trophy :proud: :howler:

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
how can people pick Inter? It's almost ridiculous...
Let me see, because thye are the best of Italy and this year they have 2 more important ingredients. Mourinho... and Quaresma :cool:

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think the safe money is on the top four clubs in England and Barcelona. Premiership teams have had the edge in this competition over the last few seasons and I've seen little by way of movement in the transfer market from their continental rivals to indicate a shift in trend this year. Chelsea and Man Utd have the two best squads in Europe, Liverpool will again be there or there abouts as they'll again be out of the title race by November, whereas Arsenal's talented squad that reached the final two years ago and the quarter-finals last time out is one year older and the more wiser.

Outside the top four in England, Barca pose the biggest threat, IMO. The one knock on them is the fact their keeper is not elite - but they have a great balance of technique, muscle and speed.

Inter always have a great team on paper, but they just can't seem to function as a unit together in Europe. It remains to be seen if Mou can relieve their mental block in the Champions League, but I am not convinced - he has already been tactically out-smarted twice by Benitez in semi-final battles with a Chelsea team superior to this current Inter team.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I think we have a good chance to win. I wouldn't say the same at this time last year, though.

Inter, Chelsea, and Real are the favorites. I think Barca will end up being poorly managed and crash out unexpectedly. United won last season, so I don't think they'll win it again - this competition is too hard to defend for some reason.

Outside the top four in England, Barca pose the biggest threat, IMO. The one knock on them is the fact their keeper is not elite, but they have a great balance of technique, muscle and speed.
Barca has all the bad traits you associated with Inter: poor tactics, good team on paper that can't function in europe (or even in Spain).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts