Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 235 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so it begins! we travel way to play the first leg this Tuesday against our bitter rival Bayern. Both sides hold each other with so much contempt that this game will be full of fireworks. Bayern have struggled this season by being dumped from their domestic cup by a second division club and are currently nine points of the pace in the bundesliga.......forget all of that!

News earlier this week out of Bravaria was more psycholgical than addmission that Bayern would need all the luck in the world to beat us and in fact Hitzfeld has taken to increasingly desperate measures in recent weeks, such as fining players for mentioning Real and banning them from undertaking any more advertising duties. With failures on the domestic front it would do great wonders to the Bravarian pride to knock us out of the tournament.

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
Bayern wont know what hit them
they will not be the team that eliminate us
from this competition.
I noticed that this year we have played better than last year on the road in Europe and in Spain so Bayern here We come, all this crap talk about us in the off season by the Bayern manager will cost them BIG time.
WE come to this match in great form
1. No injuries
2. First in La Liga
3. Cup Finalist
4. Some players rested and ready to shine.

We ve got the momentum, we ve got the players we ve got what it takes to win Europe again

Hala Madrid

Ps Ronaldo should look afetr Bayern dirty tricks they might try to hurt him (he scored twice on th WC Final and they will try to sideline him for the second leg)
im not been paranoid :tongue:

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
UEFA Champions League

-----------------------------
--------Round-16------------

February 24, 2004 - Tuesday

FC BAYERN MÜNCHEN --- Vs. --- REAL MADRID CF

---------------------- 1st LEG -------------------------

------------Olimpiastadion, Munich - Deutschland -----------

Preview

It is by far the biggest game of the second round. A mammoth game of epic proportions between two footballing giants who know each other inside out!!

Both clubs proudly wear the European Star and are in a mini club of 4 Elite European clubs to wear it.

In recent years both sides have fought it out for supremacy at club football's biggest stage and their paths have crossed before the final in all of those occasions!!

Real and Bayern are like the South and North pole of magnets who attract each other. Real won their group only to be awarded their nemesis that is none other than Bayern.

This is the UEFA CL and no games are easy but by any measure the prize for winning a group is rewarded by a Battle Royale with the current Bundesliga Champions & 4 times European Champions is a tough task to say the least.

It promises to be a mouth watering clash and will take centre stage with a high profile ending set up in Madrid.

For now the battle begins in the Spider Web styled OLIMPIASTADION formerly known as the Unconquered Fortress!!! :fero:

FC Bayern München

Got eliminated in the first group stage when drawn in a Group of Death. The team was still coming to terms with the departure of their enigmatic captain and had problems to settling down.

That elimination spurred them on to storm the Bundesliga and win it easily.

The return to the UCL was not a smooth ride this season anyway. Bayern did it the hard way by becoming the first side to get a point away to Celtic and brushing death along the way.

The team is struggling in central defence mainly with inconsistent performances by their central defenders.

Albeit Bayern are very much focused on this game as are there rivals. The stage is big and the teams are big.

Tactics / Formation

Ottmar Hitzfeld has mostly played with a standard 4-4-2 formation. He might change that formation to a five man midfield to allow Bayern depth to deal with Real's potent attack force.

Another option that Hitzfeld might add is to give Ballack more liberty to venture forward. Ballack has got quite a few shots on goal but it is still not comparable to his fanstastic season with Leverkusen where Toppmoller gave him more freedom.

Note: Oliver Kahn is a big doubt for Tuesday's game so this is crucial news for both camps. Hitzfeld has stated that he has complete faith in young 19 year old Michael Rensing who kept a clean sheet against Hamburg. It is a totally different task against Real where mental pressure is an added variable to the equation.

Probable Line-Up
---------------------

---------------------Rensing-------------------------
--
-Sagnol-------Kovac-----Kuffour--------Lizarazu
--
------------Hargreaves------Schweinsteiger----
--
---Deisler-----------Ballack---------Ze Roberto--
--
----------------------Makaay------------------------

--->>> An alternate might be that Ballack moves back in place of Schweinsteiger and Roque Santa Cruz partners Makaay up front.

It has to be noted that Ballack and Pizarro also missed the game through injury and Kovac was taken off at half time as a precaution.

Bayern are not in a perfect state of health right now and that can help Real to get their away draw that will help them.

Saying that they are 7 pts adrift to league leaders Werder Bremen with the hiccup being the elimination to Aaschen in the German Cup.

Real Madrid CF

Real Madrid are flying high at the moment and can do no wrong. After a slightly bumpy spell they are now atop the La Liga and their rivals Valencia CF succumbing to FC Barcelona earlier tonight!

Real are also in the Spanish Cup final so now their biggest game of the season is coming up hard and fast.

Last season a Nedved inspired Juventus eliminated Real in Turin but this season it has been business as usual so far! Real topped their group which composed of UEFA CUP winners Porto. The performances at times just like Bayern have not been on par to what Real are capable of doing.

It can also come down to new coach Carlos Queiroz settling down with the club and players and transcending his coaching philosophy to them.

But now it is time to deliver. There is no margin for error left as it is knock-out time where a single error can take a team out and a single stroke of genius artistry can take a team through!!

It is the time for stars to rise to the occasion and Real have their fair share of 'Galacticos'!

Tactics / Formation

Queiroz has played the 4-2-3-1 with desired results so it might well be the obvious option to go along with.

-------------------------Casillas-----------------------
-
--Salgado-----Helguera----Pavon-------Carlos--
--
--------------Beckham---------Guti------------------
--
------Figo---------------Raul-----------Zidane------
--
------------------------Ronaldo-----------------------

Casillas is enjoying a good season with Real with some superb saves to guarantee his side the points! The selection headache might be where I have put Guti. Does Queiroz place Cambiasso or go with the flair of Solari?

The others pick themselves with Zidane, Figo, Raul all enjoying free roles to roam around the park.

Beckham has experience playing Bayern with limited success. The others have all played Bayern except Ronaldo who will be facing Bayern for the first time in the UCL wearing a Real jersey. That promises to be an interesting battle as the Bayern central defence can be good one day and bad on another day.

Raul's dip in form is a worrying factor. He has risen to the occasion before but hasn't had good games against Bayern particularly in Munich.

Figo and Zidane have enjoyed success against Bayern. In fact Zizou's arrival marked Real's almost 3 pts and then 1 pts and then 0 pts game in Munich when Makelele gave them an early lead only for Pizarro to complete the comeback in the final 10.

Key Battles

Hitzfeld Vs. Queiroz
------------------------

Hitzfeld has experience of not only this tie but two UCL titles to his name and a runners-up medal as well. Queiroz is a rookie compared to him. I always looked forward to the battle of wits btw Hitzfeld and VDB. This will be an interesting battle in a hot cauldron where nerves kick in.

Ballack Vs. Beckham
-------------------------

Both players are not being played in their natural positions and their paths will cross multiple times in this tie.

Hargreaves Vs. Zidane

Hargreaves has really cemented his place since that UCL win and is an important player for Bayern. His task is humongous to say the least.

Kuffour Vs. Ronaldo
-------------------------

This is going to be a deciding factor in the tie IMO. Just how good will Bayern's shaky and slow defence cope with Ronaldo's sudden burst of acceleration? Ronaldo is no Speedy Gonzalez these days but still he does a 0-60 pretty quick!

Makaay Vs. Helguera
--------------------------

Real know very well that if they can contain one of the most dangerous striker in world football today then the tie is already half won! Elber caused quite a few troubles in his day and the Flying Dutchman is a notch above him with no Makelele this time around.

Prediction

An extremely exciting and mesmeric battle is on the brink of starting. Eternal rivals with no love lost for each other. A contrast of styles and different football philosophies.

Real visit the one stadium that they don't like in their itinerary while Bayern are under pressure to not only make the final in their own home country but also not concede that crucial away goal that has resulted in their elimination in the past on two occasions!

Considering Bayern's injury list and Real's current performance I think a scoring draw is on the cards. It will by no means end the tie ... only make it more intriguing for the final concluding chapter. ;)

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THanks Haroon, before the season over you'll be wearing a Real Madrid Crest!:D

I learned a lesson last year to follow alter ego psychic powers

hala madrid!

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
Haroon I ve been following your posts
in the Champs League and you predicted
that Bayern will eliminate us. How come you are
calling for a draw now in Germany.
this might be another case of rossoneri well wishes for us
San Siro predicted Olyimpic Marsella would eliminate us
in the first round too :rolleyes:

Even if we loose at the Olympic stadium we will go throu
mark my words

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
After the Espanyol match, Helguera, Salgado and Solari all returned with some problems. Figo, who was injured earlier, looked like new in the 2nd half so it should be no problem for him.

Can't wait to watch this match live before I return to Australia where it's almost impossible to catch some good football live.

·
Third Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
20,440 Posts
Kahn, Pizarro, Ballack and Hargraves are in doubt for Bayern, but when you ask me.... they WILL play.

For Real, Helguera is in doubt. Just hope he gets fit for that. *praying*

Bayern played miserable yesterday and just got out with a lucky goal in the end, though Hamburg had played better.

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
LaBlanca said:
For Real, Helguera is in doubt. Just hope he gets fit for that. *praying*
Bayern played miserable yesterday .
They have played it like that all year long, thats what I find Haroon preview on Bayern more like a science fiction post than a reality review on Bayern.

According to all spanish newspapers Helguera is not in doubt at all, he was "tocado" but he ll be ready to rock in Munich.

Real Madrid Doc: "Iván ha sufrido un golpe en su rodilla, en la misma zona donde hace tres semanas tuvo otro percance, pero no tendrá ningún problema para jugar ante el Bayern", indicó Hernández.
;)

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
Alter Ego said:
Haroon I ve been following your posts
in the Champs League and you predicted
that Bayern will eliminate us. How come you are
calling for a draw now in Germany.

Even if we loose at the Olympic stadium we will go throu
mark my words
You are right AE. I do think that Bayern will take the tie but it doesn't mean that a draw in Munich will eliminate them necessarily. Even two draws can take a team through. ;)

At this time Kahn is 50-50, Ballack is down with Influenza and Kovac is out injured.

Bayern don't have things going in their favour exactly so why can't Real get a draw in Munich? They can IMO.

When the draw was made my initial thoughts were that Real have gotten the worst draw they possibly could. This tie will not finish in round 1. It will go down to the wire and I think Bayern have been very focused on the game. You guys have a tough game at the Bernabeu than you expect! Wait and see! Hasn't it been a while since Real lost a home game in the UCL? That record is there to envy but one to fear for as well.

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LaBlanca said:
Kahn, Pizarro, Ballack and Hargraves are in doubt for Bayern, but when you ask me.... they WILL play.

100% in agreement, this is Bayern only chance for self respectability, they'll be comng at us with everything they got.

Lets just get that all important away goal!!
In Ronaldo I place my trust!

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bayern vice-president Uli Hoeness criticised Real’s decision to buy David Beckham. "Real Madrid have turned themselves from a football club into a circus act," he taunted. "That’s great for us. I’ve never seen a chimps’ tea party like it. We’d never have signed Beckham anyway as his wife comes as part of the baggage. And he’s not all that great."

Michael Ballack is relishing the resumption of what is the modern European game’s greatest cross-country rivalry. "I bet you anything Real weren’t amused after the draw," he said. "They wanted any other team than Bayern. On the other hand, we were really happy with the draw. It’s going to be an absolute
highlight."

Fuel for the fire!

:skull:

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
Here we go baby here we go.

This is it! This is our most important game of the season thus far!
It's time to absolutely bombard Oliver Kahn with none stop shots to the f'kin face and attack and attack till those German f'kers drop and die.

Let's absolutely rape the living shit out of the Bavarians. HAHA
HARGREAVES ON ZIDANE??? B!tch please! We're gonna have a field day.

I HATE BAYERN MUNCHEN!!!!!!:fero:

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
they sure know how to talk, they have been talking shit about madrid since becks joined madrid - well they did before too - but now lets see if they can actually walk :skull:

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
Kiyan said:
Here we go baby here we go.

This is it! This is our most important game of the season thus far!
It's time to absolutely bombard Oliver Kahn with none stop shots to the f'kin face and attack and attack till those German f'kers drop and die.

Let's absolutely rape the living shit out of the Bavarians. HAHA
HARGREAVES ON ZIDANE??? B!tch please! We're gonna have a field day.

:howler:

We should have more posts like this for a game as big as this one!!! That's the spirit!! :thumbsup:

Now let's see how the Bayern fans respond. C'mon fellas!

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
Kiyan said:
Me too, but not this week ;)

The germans have ball all talk for about a month, I guess they didn't learn from two years ago, who coul evern forget that a**hole Khan saying that he would never give up two goals in the BErnabeu, only to give two goals in the Bernabeu:mad:

BM, keep the mouth shut and just play. Here hoping for a german win, but then loosing in the next round:tongue:

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
barça said:
Me too, but not this week ;)

The germans have ball all talk for about a month, I guess they didn't learn from two years ago, who coul evern forget that a**hole Khan saying that he would never give up two goals in the BErnabeu, only to give two goals in the Bernabeu:mad:

BM, keep the mouth shut and just play. Here hoping for a german win, but then loosing in the next round:tongue:
where's the spanish unity?

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
I'm afraid unity has a tendency to fly out the window whenever there is a chance for a rival to suffer defeat. ;)

As for the match, I am optimistic about Madrid's chances. While Bayern may be in second place in the Bundesliga, they have not enjoyed their usual form recently and seem to be on the unstable side. A good chance for Madrid, I think. :)

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
well i was looking foward to this match b/c i thought it was gonna be shown on espn here in the states but looking at the webpage it seems the Chelsea game will be shown on Wednesday.....thanks ESPN :eek:

1 - 20 of 235 Posts