Xtratime Community banner

1381 - 1400 of 1422 Posts

·
Registered
16,153 Posts
Even today he scores in the league, and is subbed at 78 minute. If you've got a 6m euro player, he should be able to play 90 minutes every match. Imagine a Romanian club paid 6M for a player and he could only play 60 minutes without being fatigued or gassed? We'd destroy him on the forum. Why are Romanian players any different?

I agree that I exageratted a bit with Cristea reference, but it's hard to not see his career plateauing until he develops some sort of high gear and work ethic. Maybe that's the main difference between him and Mitrita. Mitri can actually work hard, even though he's a midget and injury prone.

Stanciu arrived at the team recently after months of inactivity. The coach said last week that he is not at 100%, and yet he started. I don't think he's had problems playing 90 minutes troughout his career. But clearly there is a problem cause a player of his talent should be in a top 5 league. Luckily he left Arabia, let's see if he can recover

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
Stanciu arrived at the team recently after months of inactivity. The coach said last week that he is not at 100%, and yet he started. I don't think he's had problems playing 90 minutes troughout his career. But clearly there is a problem cause a player of his talent should be in a top 5 league. Luckily he left Arabia, let's see if he can recover
Well, that's what I'm saying. Other than his inability to play defense and play consistently 90 minutes a whole season, he's an elite talent.

There's not some stigma against Romanian players, they're actually limited. How is it that only the foreign developed players are surviving in the big 5 leagues? Either the ones that before 18 went abroad, or grew up in those countries. It's clear that if Stanciu were raised in England, he'd be a Modric level star. The problem has to do with his work ethic and durability, no?

Hagi's players are doing well, but he's his own process. I consider him in his own league. We will see how they develop when Hagi isn't on the pitch every day because his son is there.

·
Zeko lopove...
7,464 Posts
First, congrats and thanks!

2nd, I'm sure Slavia isn't a pushover but we tend to do well vs Czech teams.
Thanks man! I really appreciate it. I didn't know that about your tradition vs. Czech teams. That's awesome. Hope you progress as well. Would be awesome to see both the Romanian and Serbian champion in the Group Stage of the UEFA Champions League this season.

Congrats! Go EE! Your trust in both teams was well placed. Who do you play in the playoff?
Thanks man! We play Young Boys of Bern. We have one historical matchup against them, in the 2004 qualifiers for the Champions League. We drew them 2-2 in Bern before winning 3-0 in Belgrade. This time around, it's the same set of fixtures. First one is away on Wednesday, August 21st while the return leg is in Belgrade on Tuesday, August 27th. After beating FC Copenhagen, and in the manner that we did, I believe we have a good chance of progressing. They probably maybe have a bit of an edge personnel wise, but we have an edge in terms of heart, passion, utter lunacy and organization/discipline. That's what our coach has brought in the past 3 years.

There's a reason we drew Napoli at home and beat Liverpool at home last season in the group stage after disposing of Red Bull Salzburg in the 4th round of qualifying. I hope we can do the same to Young Boys again this year. FC Copenhagen seriously underestimated how strong of a side we are and how organized we are.

They played a man up for 56 minutes in the return leg and mustered about 1-2 good chances. I'd also say they had an 'edge' personnel wise, but teams get lost when coming to play against us. Also, we have Marko Marin, who is on another level. I know he didn't make it at Chelsea, but man, within the right system as our coach is using him, he is a ****ing magician.

·
Zeko lopove...
7,464 Posts
As difficult as a result this is, all is not lost. One goal there for Cluj and the tie is back to all square. They knew they'd probably have to score in Prague to have any chance of progressing, so don't rule out your chances yet. However, I did expect a difficult tie such as this, with not many goals.

I've often seen results such as this turn on their head. A 1-2 puts Cluj through on away goals; an 0-1 leads to overtime. Just saying. Wouldn't lament this as much as it seems. The difference is only a goal. More than one is a different matter.

·
Registered
16,153 Posts
As difficult as a result this is, all is not lost. One goal there for Cluj and the tie is back to all square. They knew they'd probably have to score in Prague to have any chance of progressing, so don't rule out your chances yet. However, I did expect a difficult tie such as this, with not many goals.

I've often seen results such as this turn on their head. A 1-2 puts Cluj through on away goals; an 0-1 leads to overtime. Just saying. Wouldn't lament this as much as it seems. The difference is only a goal. More than one is a different matter.

Congrats @marakana11 on qualifying. Incredible achievement from serbian football

·
Registered
69,627 Posts
"FCSB offer was better but Alex and his dad chose CFR" (GSP)
In your face Gigi.

It's a super signing for CFR, from all points of view, it's even good for the player considering the circunstances. But it's a defeat for Romanian football. This is not the same case of Ivan. This guy was educated and produced as footballer abroad, and didn't get a chance. Not even after doing a more than decent Euro championship.

·
Zeko lopove...
7,464 Posts
Congrats @marakana11 on qualifying. Incredible achievement from serbian football
Thank you. Second year in a row of us making the Champions League group stage. Our current manager, Vladan Milojevic has become a club legend. We were at our lowest point three years ago having just lost the title to our most bitter rivals, in significant debt and having to enter the Europa League first qualifying round with a very low, low coefficient of 1.75. We were 225th or somewhere along there.

He comes in and just proceeds to win everything, in an unbelievable fashion. In our 2017-2018 Europa League campaign we go on to beat Floriana 6-3 on agg (Malta), Irtysh Pavlodar 3-1 on agg (Kazakhstan), Sparta Prague 3-0 on agg (Czechia) and Krasnodar 4-4 on away goals (Russia) in the qualifying rounds. We then proceed to finish 2nd in a Europe League group with Arsenal, BATE Borisov and FC Colonge. We ended up losing, in an unlucky fashion to CSKA Moscow 1-0 on aggregate in the round of 32. He goes on to win the title that season. We became the first team in UEFA Cup/Europa League history to come from the first qualifying round through to the knockout stage round of 32.

In our 2018-2019 we beat Spartaks 2-0 on agg (Champs of Latvia), Suduva 5-0 on agg (champs of Lithuania), Spartak Tranava 3-2 on agg (champs of Slovakia) and Red Bull Salzburg 2-2 on away goals (champs of Austria) in the four rounds of qualifying, and we got the group of death with Paris Saint German, Liverpool and SSC Napoli. We ended up finishing last but beat Liverpool 2-0 at home and drew Napoli at home 0-0. Going into matchday 5 we were on 4 points and had a serious shot at finishing 2nd or 3rd, but ultimately lost a frustrating tie at Napoli where we played well but could not convert. We also won the title last season. We became the first team to reach the group stage from the first round of qualifying in UEFA Champions League history.

This season, our 2019-2020 campaign we proceeded to beat Suduva 2-1 on agg (champs of Lithuania again), Helsinki 3-2 on agg (champs of Finland), FC Copenhagen 7-6 on penalties after two 1-1 draws (champs of Denamrk) and Young Boys 3-3 on aggregate through on away goals (champs of Switzerland).

In 2 years, since Milojevic became coach, our coefficient now stands at 20.750 and we're 68th in the European table, back to where we rightfully belong given our club history. We're hoping for another incredible season.

ALSO - I'm hopeful CFR Cluj win today!

·
Registered
16,153 Posts
Well to be honest it doesn't bother me much. I feared a humillation in CL. CFR's squad is quite limited. Maybe next year they can be stronger. But the EL seems very interesting for them, there they can put up a fight

1381 - 1400 of 1422 Posts