Xtratime Community banner

Cesar's Corner ~ Amunti's Valencia Blog

4K views 96 replies 22 participants last post by  Amunti 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
I'll post articles from my Valencia blog on the Offside on this thread.
Please feel free to make comments here or on the blog.
As always, AMUNT!!

First up? An interview with Vicente Soriano. Enjoy!

Here, an interesting interview with Valencia president and majority shareholder Vicente Soriano in today’s Las Provincias.

It’s an illuminating read and to that end, I’ve done the hard work and translated it for you, my dear readers.

Please understand I’m not 100% fluent in Spanish. So if this came out poorly, I apologize. I took some editorial liberties here and there, But I think it came out ok, nevertheless. Give it a gander. I think it’s eye opening. To read the original in Spanish, please click the link above.

I’ll refrain from making comments on what he said and leave that to you … what do you make of Soriano’s answers??

Fifty million Euros for Villa … Any other president not only would not have hesitated a moment, he would have put a link to sell sooner rather than later.
- The Real Madrid bid was 40 million Euros. Ramon Calderon made the offer the day of the Super Cup match in the Bernabeu.

In any case, 40 million Euros is also a barbaric offer, don’t you think?
- We studied the offer, both economically, socially and sports wise, and I can assure you that it was not anything interesting.

Are you aware that if you had sold Villa the question now would be the other way around? Why did you sell the top scorer of Euro 2008?
- Yes, certainly you would be asking me that question and I would say that it was done to meet social, administrative or financial needs. We analyzed the situation and accepted that selling Villa was selling bread for today and hunger for tomorrow, and we decided that it was not interesting.

Whatever decision you made would have heaped criticism on you … If you sold him, why did you sell? If you didn’t, why didn’t you?
-Sure. It was a complicated decision and we looked at it very carefully.

Ramon Calderon has said that you, Tamargo (Villa’s agent) and Villa know that it was Real Madrid that finally said no to this Villa transfer operation. Is that correct?
-Is that what Calderon said? Let’s see. Several messengers came to me which I didn’t find very valid and I also felt that way about Mr. Calderon’s offer because he made the offer in the bowels of the Bernabeu during the game, when he personally made me the offer, without any in-betweens. In a sense this was the only bid.

What did you say?
– I didn’t answer him at that moment and the next day we analyzed it carefully. We concluded, I repeat, that the offer was not interesting. To my knowledge, neither the player nor the player’s agent nor myself, of course, received another offer other than that of Calderon that day at the Bernabeu.

Does it hurt that in many parts of Spain fans don’t understand why Villa, like Cazorla (who almost left Villarreal for Madrid), decided to remain with their teams rather than go to Real Madrid?
-Man! I can say that in Valencia we are very proud that a player like David Villa decided to continue with us rather than having lobbied for a possible transfer to Real Madrid. He didn’t do that because he was, is and will continue to be happy with us and that’s what he told me.

In this Villa transfer saga/war, what responsibility did the agents have at the time of the tangle?
I have not seen a war in Villa’s case. It has been clear and transparent. For more than three weeks the agent informed me that there might be interest from Madrid and I replied that we were not interested in selling him, but nevertheless told him they could make an offer, which Calderon did.

And what do you think about a former Valencia sporting director, Amedeo Carboni, who mediated as a FIFA agent to try to bring Villa to Madrid?
- Everyone is very free in their actions, but I should not answer this question. What I want pointed out is that at no time was he a representative of Valencia in this transfer. Never.

Villa reached an economic agreement with Madrid conditional on you and Calderon reaching an agreement?
- I do not know who would believe that any pact was reached, because that would be denounced. He is a player under a very strong contract. On the contrary, what I was told was that he wanted to continue with us and we reached a satisfactory agreement.

Do you think Real Madrid acted in an ethical manner by forcing their ‘machine’ on you until the last day of the transfer market?
-This must be said in a nuanced way., I do not grade Madrid’s forms of action. Calderon has been fair with Valencia and correct with me as a negotiating partner. But I have to complain about some comments that I am not going to define by some members of the technical board of Madrid. Beyond all this, it is not true that Real Madrid has tried to bother until the last minute.

You talked with Calderon yesterday (Monday) …
- Yes, he called in the afternoon to see if the rumors that we wanted to sell Villa were true and I told him no.

Did he make you an new offer?
- He didn’t talk to me about money because I wouldn’t let him. It was fine. I reminded him that we presented the player with a new contract just last week. I think the shirt with the ‘2014′ on the back said it all, and there’s nothing more to talk about.

With the weakened economic state that you inherited as president of Valencia, didn’t it make you think about selling Villa and Silva?
-I never understood how to negotiate the sale of such emblems of this club. You think there could have been negotiations? I don’t understand it like that. We should regulate our economic situation through other resources which, I must say well, Don Juan Bautista Soler left us. Our work is aimed in that direction, to manage the non-sports resources to fix the economic situation of Valencia.

The decision to not sell Villa required a lot of thought but what did your heart tell you?
-My heart always said: Don’t sell.

On the transfers of Pablo and Renan, it’s been 6 years since Valencia made so few transfers …
-Valencia has a great team and have a great staff that can reach the top. I don’t think because we made such few transfers we will do bad. On the contrary. We’ll do better than last season.

You can always say you signed the striker Real Madrid wanted and the winger (Silva) Barcelona dreamed of.
-You said it. The best transfers were signing Villa and Silva and keeping Miguel, Albelda, Baraja, Vicente… all of them. I don’t want to forget any of them. I think that’s the best transfer.

What happened to Zigic, who had one foot back at Racing and is now staying?
- He has simply found it more interesting to stay in Valencia. We will respect and hope that this will be the best thing for him and for the club.

He understands he probably won’t play here much?
- Footballers, as well as being footballers, are people, and each has their way of thinking.

Other cases are those of Maduro and Hugo Viana.
- They believe that staying is the best for their interests and we are grateful.

Are you disappointed with Eduardo Espejo, the representative of Joaquin, for the alleged bid that never came?
- I do not feel disappointed by anything. Everyone is free to handle things as they see fit. Joaquin has decided to stay with us and we believe he’s done well. He’s a great player, very usable, and we hope that he shows that this season.

They receive bad advice?
- It is not my task to value that.

You wanted to bring a ‘crack’, Diego Milito, and he wanted to come. Why isn’t he here?
-We didn’t think solely in Milito. We managed a suite of good players and can assure you that before Milito we had other options, I’m not saying they were better or worse. We tried and it was not possible. To not bring a player to improve what we have, we prefer to stay as we were.

Are you satisfied with your team?
- Very satisfied.

I guess, like everyone, on Sunday we were surprised by the absence of Hildebrand.
- Well … One no longer is surprised by anything. Soccer is both simple and complicated. It was a decision of the coach, a great one, very smart, and I am convinced that at that time Emery did what was good for the team.

What are Valencia’s goals this season?
-To win every game. I am confident that with the goal of winning at Almeria as we won on Saturday, and then the following week… at the end of the season we will be up there. Goals beyond that are inconvenient.

Personal goals?
- Yes, but I’ll keep them to myself, because in principle they are only wishes.

In economic terms, has you been surprised by the economic hole at the club?
-More or less I knew the financial situation of the club, so I’m not surprised by anything. Valencia, as a corporation, has ample resources to regularize their economic situation.

Do I understand what you say as a gesture of elegance to those who were before you?
- No. I neither want nor wish to talk about what has no solution. I love to give solutions to things. I don’t lose energy thinking that if he had this or done that …. The only thing that moves me is the interest of resolving the situation before us. And be sure that we will succeed in fixing it.

Valencia-Experience shows no signs of life, and as long as you advertise it, they should pay Valencia CF 6 million euros …
- It is something that our lawyer is studying. He’ll decide.

Should the responsibility lie with the person who signed this contract?
- It is a legal issue to be resolved our legal advisers.

Will the issue of the Mestalla land plots (selling Mestalla) be resolved this month?
-I hope so. In any case, we will have short-term solutions.

Handling multiple bids?
Yes, and with security we’ll reach a successful conclusion. I think this month.

Will you still get 350 million euros?
- It is what we want. We’ll see what happens at the end of it. The shareholders have all the information with total transparency.

If economic forecasts are met, will the club make transfers in the winter market?
- Speaking of that now is presumptuous. Time will tell. At this moment we see no need to do so, it is not our intention.

How is the new stadium going?
- The construction goes on day by day. And if there is a slowdown it is because of labor issues, a change in something, never for another reason.

See less See more
#34 ·
I'm hearing news from Sweden that we are in advance negotiations with Unibet. Hate gambling companies for Blaz and personal reasons but we can't deny they sure pay up :D

but seriously, i don't see how not having "valencia experience" on our kits can hurt nike
They made a lot of shirts already and now no one would buy them, Valencia is looking inot ways of avoiding the 3M Euro penalty as we speak.

#36 ·
So this whole thing with ‘Valencia Experience’ is getting sillier as the days pass.

According to Spanish news reports, Valencia Experience will be our shirt sponsors until the end of the year. From 2009 on, we’ll be wearing a shirt designed by Nike to commemorate the club’s 90th anniversary.

The shirt sponsors will in all likelihood be ‘Unibet’, a gambling site from Switzerland. They’ve offered €.3.5M to be the sponsor until the end of the season and €5M for next season. Valencia are hoping for €4M and €6M.

A gambling site? UGGH … how low can you go? Why not sponsor one of the many brothels that line the outside of the Mestalla? Or maybe a ticket broker?

I’m interested in seeing this 90th anniversary kit, but what about everyone that bought a ‘Valencia Experience’ shirt? Collector’s item?

Let’s not forget that the last time a sponsor didn’t pay up (Metrored), we won the championship. Hmm …

Anyways, it’s on to Almeria this Sunday. The game won’t be shown here in the United States (great …), so there goes that idea. In any case, the game might not be played at all.

Apparently, the pitch is super water-logged. Not that anyone’s said the game’s to be postponed. I’m just saying …

For a preview of the match, click here.

A small preview …

Valencia: If Emery wants to maintain the same system without Silva (which is just about the best tactical set-up given the players Valencia have) – it will depend significantly on Juan Mata coming to the fore. Villa was simply awesome against Mallorca but he still needs a foil. The former Real youth player seemed set for a breakout season anyway, but he should be fast-racked even further forward now. Nearly as important will be Vicente on the left, if he can stay fit.

PREDICTION

This could be a hell of a game, and Almeria will need little encouragement to go at Valencia if they sense the slightest weakness. This could be their undoing as, despite what Emery might say, Valencia as always will rely on counter-attack on the road.

With some firing strikers and creativity on the field, there should be goals. Almeria are in hot form and you’d fancy the hosts to take something from this match, what with Valencia reeling from the loss of Silva. Nevertheless, it could go either way, and I’m teetering atop the fence…

Almeria 2 – 2 Valencia

2-2? Why do I read these guys?

Anyways, it’s true. As I reported yesterday (exclusively? No …), David Silva is out for three months. His ankle will be operated on this Monday and he’ll be back around the end of the year. Good luck to you, my friend. It’ll be sad to see you on the sidelines.

By the way, is it time to start rooting for Raul, the Real Madrid icon?

Seems the leader of the Merengues and virtual team president (Raul Madrid, anyone?) may have vetoed the signing of David Villa to ensure that his place in the first team was not threatened.

THANK YOU, RAUL!!!!

Coach Unai (Kevin Costner) Emery talked a bit last night about some of the things he’s dealt with since signing for Valencia. Like 8 sporting directors and 15 shirt sponsors?

“Excuses are not in my vocabulary. I assume all responsibility. When things go badly I will take that and when they go well I shall stand back,” he stated.

“I would prefer to win 5-4 then 1-0, but obviously we have to win, but it is important to me how we win and if we lose then I want the fans to be proud of the team’s effort. That is all I strive for because all I want is for people to really enjoy watching this team because football is a sport that must be entertaining.

“We want the squad to have a winning mentality, but that does not mean that we can win every game because that cannot happen. (Why not??)

“Valencia has to be up near the top and in the positions that the club’s potential indicates. I have no long-term objectives though, only the next game.

“I understand that there may have been doubts about my arrival at Valencia, but I know where I am and I am convinced that I am ready. This ship is strong and we have good sailors, good oarsmen and we will have to see in which port we arrive at.”

I like this guy a lot. He’s going to be a good one.

Finally, who is this Brazilian wunderkind we’re close to signing?

His name is Keirrison and supposedly he’s all that and a bag of chips. Some of you have been commenting on the blog about him and I’ve received e-mails about the lad.

He’s 19, plays for Coritiba and he’s quite good. He’s scored 54 goals in 100 games with the senior squad. Not bad.

Any of you know any more about this Brazilian superstar?

Here’s a small video of the kid scoring some goals … until tomorrow.

#37 ·
A gambling site? UGGH … how low can you go? Why not sponsor one of the many brothels that line the outside of the Mestalla? Or maybe a ticket broker?
I know and the ugly ass logo doesn't help either.

Seriously, we might aswell go for the toys'R'us design :dielaugh:

PREDICTION

This could be a hell of a game, and Almeria will need little encouragement to go at Valencia if they sense the slightest weakness. This could be their undoing as, despite what Emery might say, Valencia as always will rely on counter-attack on the road.
Goal actually believes they know more than the club or the coach himself :pp

By the way, is it time to start rooting for Raul, the Real Madrid icon?

Seems the leader of the Merengues and virtual team president (Raul Madrid, anyone?) may have vetoed the signing of David Villa to ensure that his place in the first team was not threatened.

THANK YOU, RAUL!!!!
Fcuk Raul :D

Seriously Raul may not of had wanted someone to threaten his position, but I don't think he has the final word to things over there. They have an official clown for that position :lala:

Eitherway, I don't think Valencia would've accepted bids, regardless of Crapul's or Moron Clownderon's fantasies/nightmares..

#38 ·
I heard that a cat food company will be sponsoring us

#40 ·
lmao i was joking but it would be hilarous!

#45 ·
Poor Timo

You have to feel somewhat for German goal keeper Timo Hildebrand.

He came here last season to replace a Valencia legend and resident diva, Santiago ‘Night Club’ Cañizares.

He’s in a strange country, full of strange customs and odd foods. He was expected to lead the new ‘Renaissance of Valencia’ under coach QQ Sanchez Flores and then Ronald Koeman. He came from a good situation, having won the German Bundesliga with Stuttgart the previous season.

Now where is he? Football purgatory.

Today, coach Unai ‘Bull Durham’ Emery decided to omit the hulking German who has a striking resemblance to music star John Tesh (pictured below) from the team sheet for tomorrow’s game against Almeria.

That’s now two games this season that Hildebrand has been left off the squad for a game. Did I happen to mention this is the second game of the season?

So what happened here? Why has Timo been relegated to Curro Torres stature, serving the other players peanuts during matches and making sure there is enough ice in Vicente Soriano’s drink?

For one, he hasn’t shown an extreme form of confidence. He can often times look lost on the pitch.

Is this due to a communication problem? Can he speak Spanish? I can’t answer that. But the question’s a good one.

Also, he’s very streaky. He can pull superb games out of his hat, playing other worldy against Barcelona in the Copa Del Rey semifinals and Getafe in the Cup final.

But then, too often, he’s all over the place.

He doesn’t catch the ball well. He’s a tad bit slow. He looks a tiny bit out of his element.

Still, I feel for the guy.

His personal website, where he includes family photos and pictures of his adventures through the game of football, speak to his anxiety.

In a post dated September 10th, Timo lets his frustration out.

Besides saying Santi has no style (which anyone who has ever seen our former ‘keeper around Valencia can attest to … the guy simply can not dress himself), Timo rants about his situation at Los Che.

“Our new manager decided against selecting me for the first La Liga game against Mallorca,” Hildebrand told his personal website. “Exclusively for technical reasons.

“Obviously I wasn’t happy with such a decision but was disappointed and irritated. We talked about it and he explained to me his point of view. I must accept it and that’s what I’ve done.

“Speculation about my future have grown but I’ve decided to do what’s important: train well, play my part and fight to have a place within the team.

“I don’t want to give interviews about my sporting situation. We’re going to see what the future is made of.

“I can just wait for my next opportunity and will give everything to enjoy it. For the next three months I can only practice well, push for it and wait for the manager’s decisions.

“Then we’ll see where my future lies.”

Sounds like he’s ready to leave during the January transfer window, eh?

Unai says he has no problems with Timo.

“(Timo) was in the stands because he was affected by not playing and I wanted to give him time to calm down,” Unai explained.

“I know that he was angry about things, but Angulo and Del Horno were also up there. (Isn’t Angulo always there? Along with Curro Torres?)

“There should be no problem with Timo because he likes it here and he is training well and I think that he has reacted well.”

Not a ringing endorsement.

Whatever the situation is, I feel for Timo. It can’t be easy to see your position taken by a young upshot while you waste away on the bench.

It must not have been easy to come into this situation taking over for a legend like Cañizares, who is known to act the diva when he feels threatened. (Some of you probably know the saga between Cañizares and former defender Miroslav Djukic, who Santi refused to talk to for over 5 years because of a defensive gaff the defender made during a game.)

Timo has acted like a gentleman throughout the situation.

I may not fancy his style of play. I may curse him out for what I believe are stupid gaffes or soft goals.

But you have to respect the guy for taking a chance. I hope he uses this episode to strengthen himself and come out even better than before.

Good luck, Timo.

#47 ·
i have always supported Timo, i wanted him to always start ahead of Santiago and even when we signed Renan, i was sure that Renan couldnt cope with Timo, but there came the real madrid game, and DLR goal was just too humilating, that is not Timo!!....

#50 ·
but still Unai can save the trouble, and avoid all tht shit in newspapers and call him for the squad and play Renan!!

#51 ·
Was speaking with Cesar the other day and we taught it would be a good idea to revive this thread. And with his permission ofcourse, here are some of his latest articles from that wonderful valencia blog :kiss:

€185 million on 33 Players Since 2004 = UGGH!!

By: Cesar | December 28th, 2008

I hope everyone enjoyed their holidays and didn’t stuff themselves too much.

I feel like I’ve gained enough weight to be confused with ex-Real Madrid striker Ronaldo … time to get back to the gym, me thinks.

Also time to see what Valencia CF has been up to. They return to practice tomorrow and let’s hope Miguel hasn’t gained as much weight as I have …

Double sessions on Monday and Tuesday should get the players back into shape before their match against Atletico Madrid this Saturday at the Mestalla. They’re going to need to be in shape. Atletico are one of the hottest teams on the continent - they haven’t lost a match since losing to Real Madrid back in October — that’s 15 straight games undefeated in all competitions.

Even through all that Atletico remain tied on points with Our Beloved (30), ahead of us on goal difference.

Coach Unai Emery seems to be ok with that. He’s happy where the club is at, even though we’ve struggled lately.

“The balance is positive. We’re in the mix with teams of a similar level to us, with the exception of Barcelona, who are standing out from the competition.”

Only two points separate Sevilla in second from Villarreal in sixth, so Emery is under no illusions about the road ahead. Continuing, he stated “We need to continue to add points so we can climb the table and close the gap on the leader. In the end we need to be competitive, while imposing the unique Valencia style and personality, and showing a constant desire for improvement.” (Oh, I like this quote!)

Emery then looked ahead to the immediate future, namely two massive home games against Atletico and Villarreal, saying “Playing in front of our home crowd should help us impose our mentality. I hope the fans support us during these two games, because they are very important and we feed off their energy. When they are behind us, the players notice a positive lift on the pitch.

Finally, he spoke of the Copa Del Rey and the UEFA Cup, where Valencia face Racing Santander and Dynamo Kiev respectively, saying “The Copa is an important tournament for us, since we are the defending champions, and the final will be played at the Mestalla. The cup games will arrive thick and fast, and we need to prepare with the adequate concentration and play at a high level, because all our opponents, like us, will also be seeking to go as far as possible.”

Fair assessment by the gaffer … we’re right where we need to be and right where we should be, like it or not. And honestly, we’re much better off today than we were a year ago with Ronald Koeman and Juan Soler, the tag team champions of idiocy.

One of the reasons we’re where we’re at is our malignant transfer situation.

As many of you know, we just loaned Serbian T-Rex Nicola Zicic back to Racing Santander. We signed the Eastern European Peter Crouch from Santander last season for something in the neighborhood of €15 million. And now he’s not even on the squad, having never settled with either Koeman or Emery.

Many see the Zigic loan move as a failure of the Valencia scouting system … I’d say, ‘Ya think?’

We wasted a ton of money on this guy and he never fully transitioned to the first team. Why?
I’m sure there are many variables but at the heart of it, we spent a lot of money on this guy and it never worked out.

With the club in financial peril month after month, does anyone think our free-spending transfer policy of the last few years might have something to do with it?

Since 2004, Valencia have spent a whopping €185 million on 33 players … that’s more than HALF the cost of the New Mestalla … and how many have panned out?

Here’s a list of the 33 players and what’s happened to them:

Ludovic Butelle - Free. Loaned out to Lille.

Stefano Fiore - 8.3 million. Never panned out and now back in Italy.

Bernardo Corradi - 8.3 million. What did he do? Sat bench? Sold to Manchester City for 1.5 million.

Marco Di Vaio - 10.5 million. Scored 11 goals his first season, but never earned QQ’s trust and was sold to Monaco.

Emiliano Moretti - 2.8 million. One of the few still with us.

Marco Caneira - 1 million for a loan deal, 4.5 million for a full transfer. Awful defender sold to Sporting Lisbon.

Edu
- Free. Hurt every other game.

Patrick Kluivert - Free. Nightclub Pat was always hurt and loved the nightlife a bit too much to care.

Jose Enrique Sanchez - 0.7 million. Who?

Juan Luis Mora - 0.25 million. Sat bench and … sat bench. Kinda feel bad for the guy … but he knew what he was signing on for.

David Villa - 12 million. A bargain.

Mario Regueiro - 1.7 million. i never knew why this guy didn’t play more. I always liked him …

Miguel - 8 million. Big boned but fast as anyone.

Hugo Viana - 0.35 million for a loan deal, 4 million for a full transfer. I’ll never understand why we bought this guy … he’s there simply as eye candy … or a Manolo bar back.

Fabian Estoyanoff - 3 million. Wore the Valencia shirt once, at his presentation. Professional loaner, loaned out to Cádiz, Deportivo, Valladolid and Peñarol.

David Valle - Free. Who??

Asier Del Horno - 7 million. Waste of money anyone? Used to be one of the best but has slipped quite badly.

Fernando Morientes - 5.5 million. Great back-up striker. Love this guy.

Francesco Tavano - 9 million. Never had a chance. In the middle of the Carboni-QQ Wars and was let go.

Joaquin - 25 million. A lot of money for the confusing winger. Good one game, awful the next. The most expensive transfer in Valencia history.

Timo Hildebrand - Free. Left on a free a few weeks ago. Just didn’t settle as we expected but not an awful ‘keeper.

Alexis - 6 million. Good central defender but often hurt.
Ivan Helguera - Free. Uggh. I hated this guy. He’s gone. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Zigic - 14.5 million. He could score but was he ever given a chance? Bad transfer.

Arizmendi - 6 million. Save for a goal against Real Madrid at the Bernabeu last season, did nothing spectacular. One of Valencia’s stranger signings.

Juan Mata - Free. A coup of a signing. Going to be one of the best very shortly.

Sunny - 1.8 million. Never played and now loaned out to Osasuna, where he never plays … Uggh.

Manuel Fernandes - 18 million. He’s getting better and better, but had a rocky start after being arrested early in his Valencia career.

Ever Banega - 17 million. Wanted to be a porn star more than a footballer. Thought more of the nightlife than the pitch. Loaned out to Atletico Madrid these days. A HUGE waste of money.

Hedwiges Maduro - 3 million. A Koeman signing, he’s Curro Torres’ back-up at Manolo’s, meaning he never plays.

Renan - 4 million. He’s so-so. But he’s the best we have.

Nacho Gonzalez - 1 million. Loaned out to Newcastle, where he was immediately injured.

Thiago Carleto - 3 million. The new Roberto Carlos or the new Asier Del Horno? We’ll soon find out …

When you think about it, the reason we’re in this financial peril and sporting disarray is directly related to our transfer history the past 4 years.

Rafa Benitez left Valencia in 2004 saying, “I asked for a table and they bought me a lamp.”

Well, we bought many a table the past few years. Sure, we lucked out with Villa, Mata and Miguel. But for those lads, we also suffered through Di Vaio, Tavano and Kluivert.

And look at our current financial situation … makes ya think, eh?

The disparate budget has caused us to look for bargains … we’re currently in the mix for 2nd Division defender Angel Dealbert of Castellon.

Dealbert is regarded as one of the best defenders in the Segunda and his contract was set to expire next June, leaving him as free agent.

For this reason, Valencia have come in before the summer to snap him up, making sure they sign him rather than another side.

It is not yet known what fee they will pay for the defender, but it can be assumed to be small, and his contract is likely to be on a similar level as Renan and Carleto (approx. $500,000 a year).

The fact that Valencia need another central defender is no secret, following the injury to Alexis and the loss of Iván Helguera, and this could be more shrewd business from Emery.

Still, no offense to Emery or Dealbert. But we’re supposed to be a big club … what’s up with promoting 2nd Division players to play for us?

Look at our last 4 years of transfers and our current budget and you’ll know why …

#53 ·
Caneira is Crap. :pp

“Playing in front of our home crowd should help us impose our mentality. I hope the fans support us during these two games, because they are very important and we feed off their energy. When they are behind us, the players notice a positive lift on the pitch."
I think the crowd helped the team out well even if the Mestalla was half empty. I bet they will even be louder once we host Villarreal. I just hope it stops raining there so we can get a much higher attendance.

When you think about it, the reason we’re in this financial peril and sporting disarray is directly related to our transfer history the past 4 years.
Agreed.

It is not yet known what fee they will pay for the defender, but it can be assumed to be small, and his contract is likely to be on a similar level as Renan and Carleto (approx. $500,000 a year).
I'm expecting Renan to get a raise by the end of this summer. No way should someone of his qualities be earning $500,000 a year. After he hopefully proves himself this year (so far, so good) he should be getting a raise.

But this was an extremely smart move by Fernando.

Arizmendi - 6 million. Save for a goal against Real Madrid at the Bernabeu last season, did nothing spectacular. One of Valencia’s stranger signings.
:howler:

Jose Enrique Sanchez - 0.7 million. Who?
We should've kept this guy instead of going for del Horno. His problem is that he wanted a contract too soon instead of going on loan again.

Edu - Free. Hurt every other game.
I didn't know we got this guy for free. It was stupid of Arsenal to get rid of him (if that was the case) despite his injuries. Or did he want out anyway?

Anyway, love this player.

Stefano Fiore - 8.3 million. Never panned out and now back in Italy.
Never given the chance really. I don't know why Ranieri bought him only to bench the crap out of him whilst depending on the likes of Corradi and crap like that. I taught he deserved to play in Refute or Angulo's place cause they were nothing special in 05.

#54 ·
Fiore and Corradi was Lazio's way of paying us the rest of their Mendieta-money so I wouldn't call that for cash-splashing and come on, who did ever think that these guys would fail so miserably here. Fiore was actually very rated...

Jose Enrique can only blame himself, he said that he wanted to be a starter that was why he got sold later, his attitude was complete shit.

Renan is good for 23 years of age, of course he's not Cañizares at his best but give him time...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.