Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the second time in a row he's played that formation. It's as if he's doing his best to ensure that we don't progress forward and attack. We were lucky to get the opening goal that we did but as soon as we got it, we sat back? Why? because our players enjoy playing like this? NO. It's quite obvious that we have a very capable team, able to gel together and play good football at will. But our wingers, full backs and central midfielders have nothing to aim at when we go forward, especially when we don't have the presence of Toni.

Our formation looked like this up front:

Jimenez

Toni

I mean seriously, who the hell plays like that?! I know Roma play like that, but at least they have two attacking midfield players willing to run forward when they attack. It was clear that this riduculous 4-5-1 didn't work against Milan so it's obvious that Roma wouldn't fall for it either. Why does Prandelli persist in a dead worthless formation like this?

When he took off Fiore and put on Bojinov (alongside Toni), immediately we started to attack, we went forward as our options were better with two up front, but as soon as Toni came off for Montolivo, we reverted to the no man up-front which allowed Roma to dominate once more in turn allowing them to score.

I don't know about you but it seems to me Prandelli was very happy with a point at home. This type of mentality is exactly the kind of thing that stops good teams like us challenging for higher places and greater awards.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
All I will say is Montolivo should play more because he has alot of class and needs more time on the pitch to show it.

For everything else, Jorgensen and Fiore are anonymous... they never try to get involved in games, but can be great on their days. Toni needs a partner other than Jimenez who should be back-up wide player. Montolivo should play in the number 10 pos. if Prandelli wants to play 4-5-1 because as I stated, he holds the ball so much better and he can create chances.

·
Registered
917 Posts
The only reason you are the place you are is Prandelli's coaching, focusing play around Toni, or else Toni would have had about 15 goals around this point, just looking for 20. There were some tactical problems that Fiorentina faced, letting Roma take the game to them after the goal up, instead of dominating possesion of the ball and attacking effectively using the flanks. What Fiorentina really needed today though were combatitive wingers, wingers who would not have let Roma dominate on their side of play. And give Roma credit they're no slouch of a team.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Roma's main threat was their midfield and to throw everything in attack was a gamble that could have exposed our very weak defensive side.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
shut the hell up bout Prandelli,best coach ever!!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Good point, but Fiorentina's strength is being on the attack and searching for that second goal. At the very least you needed someone to shut down Roma's flanking attack.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
i agree

although i wasnt able to see the game, from what ive heard, when we were on the offensive and pouring forward with players, Roma was on the run and we could play with a little more space and confidence.

Prandelli maybe thought we could wait the game out - we are still up a point and its the next couple of weeks that matter. I think maybe a draw to Roma might wake the boys up.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
When Toni came off, we should have replaced him with Pazzini, rather than another midfielder.
Unless Pazzini wasn't available. :S

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Guys we were nearly relegated last year and now we are fighting for a Champions League place. Prandelli deserves our respect. Is all too easy to criticise once we are in 4th and then some indifferent results. At the start of the season we wanted Europe and now we are getting it, Uefa or Champions League so how can we complain? This seasons hopes are being more then fufilled. Next season we will change those and try to move forward.

I think he deserves respect, no?

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
he definatly does.

it was a gamble, we took. we were either going to win 1-0 or draw the match. i think Prandelli was happy with that result, versus facing the prospect of potentially losing. he knows its the next couple of games that will prove our worth.

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh please, this is Italian football. We are a club that should be challenging for at least 4th spot. We signed 11 players in the summer of last season. Anybody would do better than last season. I'm pretty sure that we've been lucky this season. I've seen our team play about 3 games this season, I will also be watching the Juventus match and in all of those matches, particularly against Messina, we appeared to have no game plan at all. It's like as if our players are thrown out and asked to do their best. I have seen very little planning and positive tactics on behalf of our team and that has always got something to do with the manager. It's like being coached by Mancini.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Firstly, you mention that it's like being coached by Mancini. Well, Mancini's superb tactics in the Italian Cup Final against Parma gave us the trophy, this despite being a manager for little over a month, and having no coaching badges. Yes, so things went pear-shaped in 01/02 - but they would have done under any manager. The players weren't getting paid, our best player was out for the season, and he wasn't able to bring in players - he got his wish with just one player - Adriano - who was a great find, although he couldn't keep us up, and Mancini had left by the time he arrived. However, I think those who criticize Mancini's time at Fiorentina are overlooking the fact he did win us a trophy, if nothing else.

But, anyway, I think you're being over-critical, Firenze. To suggest we don't have a game plan is a little excessive - we wouldn't be 4th in the league if we didn't have a game plan.
Prandelli has been a great coach for us so far. We're punching above our weight - our squad is not nearly as good as Milan or Inter, for example, yet we're only 9 and 7 points behind them respectively. He's getting the best out of a relatively average squad of players, in my view, certainly when compared to the other teams in the top five. We couldn't realistically expect to be challenging for Lo Scudetto this season, so what was your target for this season? To get a Champions League place? We're still in the fight for it.

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You raise some good points Michael. I also think that our squad is average and to be honest I thought we'd finish 5th this season. But really, I don't care where we finish just as long as I know we have a sqaud that is interested in winning games and not looking to continuously counter attack all the time. I was hoping he'd drop the 4-5-1. That's a suicidal formation....especially over 90 mins.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts