Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
33,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well after Pizzi, Nuno, Neville and Pako at least he's got some pedigree.

Forgot he got Italy to the Euro 2012 final, but Gala sacked him quickly.

·
Registered
16,538 Posts
I always liked Prandelli so interesting choice. Might be difficult for him with a new football culture and he was quite bad for Galatasaray

·
Registered
33,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At least we're hiring someone whose actually done something in his life.

Pellegrino, Djukic, Pizzi, Nuno, Neville, Pako etc.

We've got a terrible record of hiring no marks.

You'd think we weren't Valencia but Villarreal or Espanyol.

·
Registered
16,538 Posts
At least we're hiring someone whose actually done something in his life.

Pellegrino, Djukic, Pizzi, Nuno, Neville, Pako etc.

We've got a terrible record of hiring no marks.

You'd think we weren't Valencia but Villarreal or Espanyol.
Well, Pizzi won in South America, Djukic had a decent track record and Nuno atleast got to the portuguese cup final with a crap team. If we're very harsh on Prandelli, Pizzi has way better credentials than him and in a way shorter manager career as well.

Prandelli:

Italy[29]

UEFA European Football Championship: Runners Up (2012)
FIFA Confederations Cup: Third Place (2013)

Pizzi:
Club

Universidad Católica

Campeonato Nacional (Chile): 2010

San Lorenzo

Argentine Primera División: 2013 Inicial

Country

Chile

Copa América: 2016

·
¡Ché we can!
5,283 Posts
We've been calling for an experienced head and the club has delivered on that front. But yeah I can't say I've ever known much of him outside of Fiorentina and the Italy NT, so it'll be interesting.

·
Professional Pirate
7,086 Posts
He's a solid coach but I feel teams have figured him out a bit in his last few stints.

Plays solid footy. His teams usually have this arrogance when passing. Precise and fluid type of footy if given the time.

Should be interesting to see if he can pull it off.

·
Registered
34,453 Posts
He can be naive. Both tactically and personally. Like the euro 12 trashing is completely his fault (didnt adapt for the right tactics, then when things started to go wrong panic and i think he had made all of his 3 subs before 55mins and then italian player got injured and Italy played with 10 men because the coach panic).

But he does play more modern type of football like Sinoy said. His italy was at times called tici-talia. World cup 2014 was a huge failure from him though as like i said before personally, he picked Balo as the main striker, then later scapegoated Balo as the single reason why Italy failed to advance from group. Media went along with it. When there were other big players who failed to deliver like De Rossi, Pirlo on his retiring shoes and couple of others who he called up for this team and played. But obviously media is not going to go after former world cup winners, so Balo is easy scapegoat target.

Galatasaray was also big failure from him. So there are still doubts with him. Media hinting that he is going to sign some serie a players (linked with Melo, Jovetic + 1-2 others). Does Valencia have the finance to buy in january? Probably need some new faces. But Melo is like 33 and Jovetic is injured most of the time. Doesnt sound promising.

His obviously better than what you had recently but italians havent always done well in Valencia in the past. Its still a gamble from Prandelli own point of view as well. Obviously he isnt going to compete with the Reals and Barcas, but he needs to deliver on this job for his own reputation and long term career. Gala failure can be accepted for now but if he continues to fail then what. Also its quite odd that since 2014 winter he didnt work. Although some big italian clubs changed managers during last 1.5 year (all of Milan, Inter, Roma, Fiorentina).

But who else was there available? I can think of Laurent Blanc only. Who would have demanded hire salary after millions earned at PSG.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts