Xtratime Community banner

What was your opinion on Cem Papila's performance?

• He done the right thing! :cool:

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • He was blatently one-sided! :irritate:

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
*the drum drum*
42,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the many views I've read and heard, Cem Papila has either been praised for a very gutsy performance, or has been labelled the worst referee of all time..

It's either one of the extreme's, and there's no half way in the arguments..

I just wonder what the majority of fans here think.. Was it a top performance by a gutsy referee, or was it blatantly one-sided refereeing?

I don't mean to flame the fire any more than it has been, so I urge you all to keep discussion in the other thread opened by gravesends.. Just simply vote and let your opinion be known..

And for passers by..
Cem Papila was the referee in the Besiktas - Samsunspor match last night, and he gave out 5 red cards to Besiktas, and eventually had to call the match off in the 85th minute, handing Samsunspor a victory by forfiet (they where beating the depleted Besiktas 4 - 1 at the time).
It's hard to judge without seeing the incidents though ;)

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
I'll repeat what vedat okyar said:

"Cem papila should stop refereeing and give up blowing the whistle. If he wants to keep on blowing something, I'll buy him a horn to blow on"

That sums up my POV. I have stated many times that he is responsible for the tension in the game. He couldn't manage to control the game and the players, and everything spiralled from there.

Handing out a billion red cards does not make one a good referee.
If Papila had refereed the Turkey-england game in Istanbul, I'm sure he would've handed Alpay and Rustu a red card.

Whereas if Collina was refereeing the BJK-Samsun game, he would have known how to control the game and the players, and this massacre wouldn't have taken place.

·
Registered
18,438 Posts
btw, isnt Vedat Okyar a Besiktas fan....?:D

Well i voted pro Cem Papila....i think we need more refs who dares to give those red cards against the bigger teams.

J

·
0 Posts
Although I think Papila was a bit harsh on some of the calls I gotta approve of those refs that stick it to the bigger teams in the league.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I didn`t vote for any of the options... Papila was very correct on the cards (with one doubt) but he could have handled the whole situation much better and not that strict ! He could have made the atmosphere on the field calmer by warning the players in the beginning. He was seeing that his cards didn`t make the atmosphere calmer. The BJK players felt that the reds were unfair and were frustrated because of that and provoked the referee to give them more cards. They had no respect for the decisions of the referee and no respect for the referee himself...

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
I haven't seen the match so I'm not going to vote.
But Imo if a referee has to send 5 players off then he has failed. He has lost control of the match.

·
Registered
18,438 Posts
Manny said:
But Imo if a referee has to send 5 players off then he has failed. He has lost control of the match.
I dont see the logic i that.....!

What you basically are saying is that players are always good and referees are the only ones making mistakes.

If one team has lost control what is the ref suppose to do.....just watch and let the players get hurt?

Secondly, you say you havent seen the game and that's why you wont vote......BUT still you have come to the conclusion that it is the ref who lost control.

Doesnt make sense Dennis...;)

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Cenk Ive never seen the great referees send of that many players. They talk to the players and make them calmer and the players respect them.
Im not saying that the Besiktas players are not to blame. They obviously are, but Imo a great referee would never have let the game get out of control the way Cem did.

·
Registered
18,438 Posts
Manny said:
Cenk Ive never seen the great referees send of that many players. They talk to the players and make them calmer and the players respect them.
Im not saying that the Besiktas players are not to blame. They obviously are, but Imo a great referee would never have let the game get out of control the way Cem did.
Dennis, then you know to little of Turkish football and mentality bro.

You cant find a handfull of players who listens to a ref in Turkey. Or is it only me who time after time see players complaing at every ref call....waiving their hands, cursing at them and even spitting. This is a common thing in Turkey Dennis.

For years now it has been created such an atmosphere on Turkish football grounds that nobody trusts the referees calls.....one day a ref is a hero the next day he is a monster.

And then we have the nerve to ask the refs to calm down the player...:D

Bro, everytime a Turkish team plays in a european cup match we always get stupid yellow cards just becaus ethey talkd too much or because of bad attitude.

You say great refs dont make mistkaes....or give that many red cards.....bro Collina (the best referee ever in the world) was suspended from the Italian league because he made so many bad calls in a game.

There are plenty of examples....so your theory doesnt hold there either.

A ref is not a kindergarten teacher whose duty is to calm down players who are supposed to be professional. These multi millionaires should know better then to chop off legs of their opponents!

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Cengo said:
Dennis, then you know to little of Turkish football and mentality bro.

You cant find a handfull of players who listens to a ref in Turkey. Or is it only me who time after time see players complaing at every ref call....waiving their hands, cursing at them and even spitting. This is a common thing in Turkey Dennis.

For years now it has been created such an atmosphere on Turkish football grounds that nobody trusts the referees calls.....one day a ref is a hero the next day he is a monster.

And then we have the nerve to ask the refs to calm down the player...:D

As I said I haven't seen the game so I can't really jugde him, but it seems like a change in mentality among the players in Turkey is needed.

A ref is not a kindergarten teacher whose duty is to calm down players who are supposed to be professional. These multi millionaires should know better then to chop off legs of their opponents!
Well sometimes it is necessary to act like a kindergarten teacher.
;)

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
I agree with Esperar and Manny-Up until the 25th minute Papila had already handed out 4 or 5 yellow cards to Besiktas players.
As I said before, if you analyze the red card incidents individually,, you might be able to claim they were deserved. But if you look at the game overall, you'll see that Papila was unsuccessful in refereeing it. If he created an atmosphere in which the players felt he was being not being impartial (by overlooking Samsuns fouls and punishing Besiktas fouls with yellow cards), then he is to blame.

Obviously I also think the players should have kept their cool, but regardless, Papila was not able to control any aspect of the game.

Handing out cards to everyone does not make one a good referee.As I wrote previously:

If Papila had refereed the Turkey-england game in Istanbul, I'm sure he would've handed Alpay and Rustu a red card.

Whereas if Collina was refereeing the BJK-Samsun game, he would have known how to control the game and the players, and this massacre wouldn't have taken place.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Cengo said:
I think a referees job is to calm down a furious atmosphere...why else should he give cards or let the stadium speakers make announcements? It is to make the players (by showing them cards or giving them warnings) or the crowd (with announcements) calmer !

but in this match the cards didn`t calm them, they did the opposite and that`s because the players didn`t take the referee serious after so much unfair cards, they thought that they were treated unfairly... so that is exactly the problem, that you`ve described in your post Cenk. Then they either complain or they act like the BJK-players acted in this match..

But nevertheless the referee shouldn`t act like a machine he should "feel" the game, the atmosphere... Players seem to only "accept" cards from a referee they respect...

·
Registered
18,438 Posts
Esperar said:

But nevertheless the referee shouldn`t act like a machine he should "feel" the game, the atmosphere... Players seem to only "accept" cards from a referee they respect...
If he had felt the atmosphere in this game then he wouldnt have given a single card.

I mean i dont get it....here we have a ref having the gutts to stand against a crowd who seems to be hostile against him. But still some of you think he should have been nicer.....he should have calmed down the players despite them kicking each other. Tell me how many refs we have in Turkey who have the gutts to give 5 red cards when they are all warranted...?

Instead of giving this guy a credit you want him to be nicer to the bigger teams.....i dont get that!

If there was a reason tyo give 5 red cards then the ref should hand out red crads....not more not less!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts