Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading an article today previewing Sunday's Old Firm derby and the reporter claimed that the match will be beamed to over 50 different countries across the world.

This surprised me as i always thought it was only ever broadcast in the UK, Ireland and the Irish populated States in America. What i want to know is whether the match will be broadcast in your country, and if so, will you be watching?

As SKY TV commentator Ian Crocker once said : "I'm often asked if the Old Firm derby is as good as people say, to which i respond, "No - it's much, much better than that".

·
Registered
526 Posts
Most places in Europe would have access to the game, Especially if it was broadcast on Setanta Sports(whick it will be this year)
I've been to the likes of the Canaries and Crete before and still got to see the Celts play, not the same as being in Paradise for it though :thumbsup:

The best thing would to be ask Celtic supporters clubs accross the world to see if they get to see it, i know some of them do in the likes of Australia

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, i think that the hundreds of Celtic Supporters' Clubs across the world strike a deal with whoever has broadcasting rights for the matches, Setanta Sports this season, to show the matches for a set price throughout the season though mate.

I'm talking about whether on the terrestrial TV channels in countries across the world the match will be shown. Basically i'm just curious to find out whether this quoted number is anywhere near accurate or not.

Incidentally, i think we're in line for one of the best Old Firm derbies in years this coming weekend. The fact that a Celtic win could kill the Championship hopes of Rangers for another season - not to mention the Craig Bellamy/Barry Ferguson factor.

If you do have any opportunity to see this match then i recommend you don't miss out. I guarantee that you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Sorry i misunderstood the Q.

Hopefully we wont be dissapointed after the game.

Mon the Hoops!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Stretford said:
I'm painting my bathroom on Saturday. :(
Good man, Means you have Sunday off so you can watch the game :shades: :tongue:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Stretford said:
I sort of had my heart set on watching the paint dry.

The Old Firm is a good alternative though if I get too excited. :D
Use quick drying paint and you'll have time for a few beers aswell :D

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now for the most important question - who will you be supporting, and why? ;)

We still haven't had anyone from a foreign country confirm that the match is being broadcast where they live either, so as it stands - the reporter was talking bollox.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Too sad. This match is not broadcasted in Spain, Digital+ owns the rights of the leagues of half Europe (Italy, England, Portugal, France, Germany, Holland and also Brazil and Argentina), but not the SPL. so I've never seen one of the best derbies on Earth.

I'm sure that the Spanish football fans would like to see this derby, but the rest of the SPL is not very interesting, IMO. There is too much difference between the 2 bigs and the rest.

About the match. I am not a supporter of any of them, but I would like Celtic to win. Why? Well, probably because there are similarities between Barcelona and Celtic and what they represent for their fans. Besides, our team has always been welcomed in Celtic's home. I don't have anything against Rangers, but I have sympathies for Celtic. Good luck.

Ah... and we have Larsson, who talks great about Celtic. :D

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
King_Henrik said:
Take a wild guess.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Koeman4 said:
Too sad. This match is not broadcasted in Spain, Digital+ owns the rights of the leagues of half Europe (Italy, England, Portugal, France, Germany, Holland and also Brazil and Argentina), but not the SPL. so I've never seen one of the best derbies on Earth.

I'm sure that the Spanish football fans would like to see this derby, but the rest of the SPL is not very interesting, IMO. There is too much difference between the 2 bigs and the rest.

About the match. I am not a supporter of any of them, but I would like Celtic to win. Why? Well, probably because there are similarities between Barcelona and Celtic and what they represent for their fans. Besides, our team has always been welcomed in Celtic's home. I don't have anything against Rangers, but I have sympathies for Celtic. Good luck.

Ah... and we have Larsson, who talks great about Celtic. :D
Good man Koeman, you certainly know your stuff. :thmbup:

On the subject of Larsson, i think Barca were the only club he wanted to move to after Celtic. They were always the only name we heard Henrik quoted as having an interest in ater he announced he was leaving. Probably for the majority of reasons you've listed above - another great club with rich tradition, and an identity that goes beyond football alone.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I was surprised to see 14 replies to this thread, but then I saw who the majority of them were by ;) Should be a great game and it's the first Sunday i've had off work since last year, so no need to stay sober whatever the result :drunk: May the best team win.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
In HK, sadly there has never been a SPL live even a delay full match though some 30-minute highlights can possibly be found in the European football magazine on TV. The program sometimes shows big events like Celtic-Rangers, Porto-Benfica and PSV-Ajax apart from the major four leagues. I don't know too much about SPL, but I go for the Blues! Perhaps because Celtic beat Celta at the cup... years ago (the referee :yuck::rollani: ), perhaps Larsson was with Celtic... strange enough. :D

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Bohemian Celtic said:
The losing side :D
That was a wild guess indeed. :tongue: It's the team that tops the SPL now and will top the SPL come Monday morning. :hopefull:

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
King_Henrik said:
Celtic of course. I'll put on my Celtic jersey and I'll be ready to rumble! :excited:

If the game was to be broadcasted over here that is :sigh:

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Will you particularly devout Glaswegians be too busy in church then? After all, religion matters to you all.

Come on Rangers.

~ The Green ;)ne

1 - 20 of 96 Posts