Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to Swiss press reports Celta Vigo has offered a contract to Murat Yakin and currently is negotiating with Basel over the transfer sum. Apparently Basel is asking for about 10 mio. Euros for Yakin...

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Yes i saw this. I wasn't surprised that it was one of the Yakin's but i thought that the playmaker, Hakan would have been more likely to leave since he is younger and Marat has not set the world on fire at his previous Ausland clubs

I think he would be a good edition to Celta, but FCBreally need him for their CL campaign IMO since their defence is probably their achilles heel and he is their best defender without a shadow of a doubt.

If he is to leave and Basel get their asking price of 10million euro, then i think they should use the money to get a few quality defenders, namely a centre back replacement and also a right back (their right defence seems weaker than the left )

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Andreas said:
Yes i saw this. I wasn't surprised that it was one of the Yakin's but i thought that the playmaker, Hakan would have been more likely to leave since he is younger and Marat has not set the world on fire at his previous Ausland clubs
Actually, I think that Murat does more playmaking out of the backline than Hakan. Hakan is more of a withdrawn forward.

I am split on this issue. On one side I want Basel to do well in CL qualifying - on the other I wouldn't mind seeing the FCB defense fall apart for the coming season, so the championship can return to its rightfull owner:D

·
Registered
258 Posts
It's the fate of an unpopular league like Switzerland that the best players are usually chased by teams of better leagues like Spain, Germany, England or Italy. The differences in financial means is usually so huge that even the good Swiss teams don't have the possibility to prevent their players from leaving. This is a sad fact and extremely frustrating for a fan of a Swiss football club.

I was quite surprised though when I heard about that offer, especially because Murat really seems to be eager to go to Spain. After the bad experiences he made in foreign leagues so far I really hoped that he has finally realized that he can only play his best football in an appropriate environment. Murat is a very sensitive player and person, he needs his friends and his family around him or he doesnt feel comfortable. I honestly think he would fail again if he accepted that offer. Murat needs a leading role inside the team, and he wont have that role in Celta Vigo for sure. I really hope he will think about it again, but after I've heard the enormous sum of 10 Mio. Euro (for a defender!!) I doubt that Basel can renounce that offer. Somehow I cant believe this sum to be correct though. I dont think there was ever payed that much for a Swiss player or someone who's been playing in Switzerland ever.

I fear Murat won't be the only FCb player who will get tempting offers in the next few weeks. I already heard Ergic is chased as well by several considerable clubs. I'm also pretty sure that it will be a hard task to keep Scott Chipperfield in Basel, considering his really ridiculous wages (100'000 Euro per year compared to the imo less important Koumantarakis with 500'000 Euro!). I hope the club will honour the good performances of Chippy this year and raise his wages considerably.

I'm really happy we already got Julio Hernan Rossi for the next season. You never know if Gimenez will still be playing for Basel next year, although I think the chances are pretty good because Rossi is a good friend of him (and godfather of his son) and he's really looking forward to play with him in the same team again.

If Basel will have a small chance to qualify for the Champions League next season it is a must too keep all the current key players (Murat, Hakan, Jimmy, Ergic and Chippy) and even get some more reinforcement, especially in the right defence. A solid No. 6 wouldnt hurt as well. Cantaluppi is a good player but he's injured a lot and the other player for this position Benjamin Huggel will need some time to get his form back after his long injury break. I even think a new offensive playmaker would be necessary. Hakan is an excellent player, but as SwissGCZ already said, he's rather a withdrawn forward than a creative playmaker. IMO Hakan has even played his best matches as a forward and not in the midfield. He's also playing as a forward in the national team btw.

There is still much work if Basel really wants to qualify for the CL. Im already pretty satisfied with the Championship though and Im already looking forward to the Cup Final in 2 wekks. Everything else would be a dessert :D I would really love to see a European top team playing in the St. Jakob Park though. You never know, everything is possible... :cool:

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Interesting points there guys :cool: :proud:

On the playmaker issue, although Hakan is played more as a withdrawn forward, i find it interesting that Basel seem to have reverted to a standard 4-4-2 in his absense. To be honest i find this formation kinda boring since so many team (especially in Britain ) use it. What it also says is that Basel have no cover for Hakan in this position. They tried Chipperfield there but he wasn't a success and although Ergic did ok in that position, he is much stronger on the right from what i have seen of him and read in Athelas' match reports. So i agree that Basel need a good playmaker if they want to make an impact in europe and along with getting a good right back, i'd make this a priority if i had anything to do with it :tongue: (but i don't so i just hope the Basel board read this forum ;) ;)

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
I'm quite sure that Murat will go, cos he isn't the youngest anymore and this would be probably the last chance for a big foreign transfer. On the other hand, Gimenz and Hakan will stay - would be silly to let them go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts