Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
23,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a terrible phone and am strongly thinking about updating to the new Blackberry Bold 9900. There's a deal on right now with Telus to get the phone for $100.00 on a 3-yr term.

What do some of you think about that phone and blackberries in general? I'm debating about getting an Iphone but I'd say I'd use my phone more so for work and for txting. To me, the txting on an Iphone is quite difficult, while the Blackberry keyboard seems a lot more convenient.

Any other recommendations for a new phone? I don't really want to have to pay a lot and I think I'd be better off with a phone that has a qwerty keyboard, whether it still has a touch-screen or is more of a Blackberry-type model.

As you can probably tell, I don't know a great deal about cell-phones.

I've heard that the Sony Ericsson Xperia Pro is pretty good:

Also, the Motorola Droid 3:

Samsung Epic 4G:

This website has some of the others recommended:

http://www.reviewgist.com/best-cell-phone-qwerty-keyboard

Anyone know anything about any of these phones? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
13,397 Posts
keyboard phones? Sorry can't help you.

Just to give you a heads up. Stay away from RIM OS, lucky for you only the first phone has RIM OS.

Out of those phones the Droid 3 will probably be the best spec wise. Dual core 1Ghz CPU with Gingerbread(Android 2.3) right out of the box and a nice 8MP camera. Xperia is also Android 2.3 out of the box, but a single core CPU. The Epic 4G if you were to get it from Sprint it's one of the most buggy phones of the Galaxy S variants so I would stay away from it. If you get one of the European versions than it's a different story. I have a different variant of the Galaxy S and it's a nice Android (smart)phone. But it was a good phone last year. If Xperia is cheaper, get that. Anyway I suggest you try them all if you can.

·
Registered
23,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Doctor, I appreciate the advice. I'm not sure I could 'try them all' but this gives me a better idea.

One question though: why stay about from RIM OS?

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
i got the lg rumor touch. Its pretty good. Perhaps the best cell i have ever owned

·
Registered
23,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For the same price, would you buy the Iphone 4G 16gb or the Blackberry Bold 9900?

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,478 Posts
I've had Nokias, Samsungs and the Apple -I4 ..I very easily transitioned to the i-Phone 4 because in the last 10 years I had been a user of their I-Pods..

Their phone gives me that plus countless other features. To me there is NOTHING better out there than Apple..

We also own and I Phone 3 and an I Pad-2.

My i-phone is just amazing !!

And on top of it all, we still have two i-pods in perfect working condition around the house.

·
Laziale, Independent
6,075 Posts
I got a Samsung - I9000 two days ago and I am over the moon.
What an amazing phone: slim, nice design, works amazingly, so many apps to play with.

·
Registered
13,397 Posts
For the same price, would you buy the Iphone 4G 16gb or the Blackberry Bold 9900?
Iphone, but you can wait till Iphone 5 is out that one is going to be 4G(internet wise). I'm assuming they don't change much in price the iphones were you live. Blackberry doesn't really appeal to me. All business and no fun.
I got a Samsung - I9000 two days ago and I am over the moon.
What an amazing phone: slim, nice design, works amazingly, so many apps to play with.
welcome to the club, ta gezofsh :)

S1 is nice, S2 much better ;)

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
I have a Torch 9800. Love it. I use Blackberry Bridge between my Torch and my Playbook tablet.

·
Registered
23,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I ended up buying the Blackberry Bold 9900. I really like the phone and I think it suits my needs. I'm mainly using the phone for work, txting, etc. Not much of a tech-geek, so, I think this should do the trick.

·
Registered
24,062 Posts
Nokia N9 seems interesting, though the OS issue is a concern

·
Scudetto
23,376 Posts
I really hate to say it but I don't think any phone is as great as the iPhone. Wait for the iPhone 5.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
I use N8, Like the phone a lot. Small and handy, Super Camera 12mp etc

2 dislikes :
the Wlan drops, needs to be reconnected manually all the time.
Symbian is dying. My next phone must have android.

·
Registered
13,397 Posts
Nokia N9 seems interesting, though the OS issue is a concern
Symbian? :howler:
I really hate to say it but I don't think any phone is as great as the iPhone. Wait for the iPhone 5.
fanboy loser. Apple has to sue the other phones in order to compete.

·
Registered
24,062 Posts

·
Scudetto
23,376 Posts
Symbian? :howler:

fanboy loser. Apple has to sue the other phones in order to compete.
No, I do not like almost everything that Apple is about, but it is hard to deny they almost always have the best products, including the iPhone.

·
Laziale, Independent
6,075 Posts
Iphone, but you can wait till Iphone 5 is out that one is going to be 4G(internet wise). I'm assuming they don't change much in price the iphones were you live. Blackberry doesn't really appeal to me. All business and no fun.

welcome to the club, ta gezofsh :)

S1 is nice, S2 much better ;)

Hey thanks indeed. Faleminderit shume. Samsung telefona te hatashem ka prodhuar.

I agree, S2 is the best smart phone ever made until the moment I write this. It was way beyond my budget so I had to settle for the current one.
But I don`t regret, this S1 fulfills my needs!

·
Registered
13,397 Posts
No, I do not like almost everything that Apple is about, but it is hard to deny they almost always have the best products, including the iPhone.
I don't think so, it's more of the hype and the "cool" part. Spec wise they're always inferior to the competition especially when it comes to the Macs. They got the looks but are so 2 years ago.
Hey thanks indeed. Faleminderit shume. Samsung telefona te hatashem ka prodhuar.
vertet jane nice. I've had the S1 for a year, lovely phone. Which version do you have out of the box? Android 2.2?

·
Imperium Romanum
3,354 Posts
The fact that everybody has a blackberry is enough for me to hate it. I too have one but it was not my choice. It has a brilliant design (physical, packaging and look and feel) to it (must admit, the best ive seen), but its not easy to use. So it sucks. I got a $10 Nokia aswell which I want to use and chuck the BB away. Its rugged, easy to use, and can call and SMS.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts