Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

FC BARCELONA vs VALENCIA CF

Camp Nou (Barcelona) | Wed, Feb 27 | 22:00

Barcelona are near yet another historic final for the club and Valencia are the last obstacle to reach it. This game between two historical rivals is the first leg of a difficult semifinal.

In the last dates, Barcelona seem to reach their best moment of the season, appearing unbeaten in the year 2008 and showing our best moments of football. The team seem to grow from the results. The suffered victories after El Clásico have become victories plus nice football and the credit for Barcelona don't stop growing in the last weeks.

On the other hand, the rival live one of their worst moments in the last decade. The football crisis suddenly became an institutional crisis in all the levels, with a coward President who hides from his own fans, a coach that doesn't find the way and players who are divided by the Albelda case.

Still, this is Valencia, a big club with very important players. Besides, this is the last exit for the valencianistas, their most important game of the season so far. Their last chance to win a title.

Barcelona will have to play a serious game to defeat the valencianistas and to achieve a good result to travel to Valencia.

We're the King of Cups. This is our competition, this is our home. We can't fail.

VISCA EL BARÇA I VISCA CATALUNYA!

·
Seis Copas
5,517 Posts
I hate playing first legs at home but maybe this what we need at this time, a convincing win can help us big time especially with our heavy schedule next week [Atletico, Celtics, Villarreal].

Will we see Pinto? Maybe in the 2nd leg?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
A though game, Valencia showed good signs recantly against Recre. But then again we're an other team.

Hopefully though our players focus and controll the match. Seeing as how we start at home a two goal diffrence in the score sheet would be very nice. With Eto'o back that shouldn't be a an impossible task.

Messi will be decisive. If he playes like he did in the last copa match against Villareal, then Valencia wont stand a chance.

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
I'm interested in what kind of line-up we will field. Eto'o scored a hattrick today, while Henry was rested.

Perhaps Ronaldinho will be rested, or even Messi. Or will one of Eto'o and Henry start on the bench?

Interesting game with all our options!

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rijkaard shouldn't forget that we visit the Calderón either and Henry is doing well lately. I'd play with Henry.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
I'd play with as weak a team as we could get away with.

Please no Messi in these games, time for Gio and Bojan to do something!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
We should rest a few player - we can afford it and with la liga back to be important we should play the strongest eleven against atletico...

Rest Puyol
Rest Iniesta
Rest Messi

RHE upfront with switching position all the time (also ronnie behind those 2...), Deco and Xavi in midfield and Zambrotta - Milito - Marquez - Abidal

but i doupt frank will rest puyol in this one

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Its not that we rest a player and a barca b player will play...:)

We have the luxurary to rest messi and to give henry his spot for example :) Or to rest Iniesta and bring in Deco :)

With all player avaliable we have to do it this way otherwise we could have some problems in the locker room

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
We've had problems with Valencia at home for a long time now and I hope we can take advantage of their poor form and finish the round in Camp Nou. Most important thing is as always to not concede.

I think Rijkaard will field this:

Pinto
Zambro-Puyol-Milito-Abidal
Xavi-Touré-Deco
?-?-?

Pinto will get his chance to show his qualities. I don't think Rijkaard will risk Márquez's injury and will rest him for the Atléti game. Abidal should play after resting against Levante. Xavi's good form recently will probably make Iniesta sit, so Deco can play.

The front line is a question. Does Rijkaard have the cojones to rest Messi? Can Eto'o even be left out after his hattrick? Does he want to leave Ronaldinho out now that he finally starts playing good? Henry surely will play since he sat in the stands against Levante.

Either way, we'll have a great line-up and I think we'll win. 2-0! :jester:

VISCA BARÇA!:star:

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
with a coward President who hides from his own fans
He's sick and some claim he has cancer.

Yes he's 'hiding' away.

Anyway, 3-1 loss for Valencia.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Line up

Valdes
-Zambro-Puyol-Milito-Abidal
Toure-Deco (or Xavi)
Messi-Etoo-Henry-Ronnie

Yes with the fantastic 4 will will surely win. I think we should try it, or at least we should be sub messi in the second half for iniesta or something .

·
In Pep, We Trust!
6,149 Posts
Saibomb said:
Line up

Valdes
-Zambro-Puyol-Milito-Abidal
Toure-Deco (or Xavi)
Messi-Etoo-Henry-Ronnie

Yes with the fantastic 4 will will surely win. I think we should try it, or at least we should be sub messi in the second half for iniesta or something .
I would only use this formation when we are losing and there are 30 minutes to go, not to mention the opposition has to be ultra defensive to use this formation. It is like when Larsson used to come in for one of the midfielders.

·
In Exile
5,398 Posts
Noone should be rested, field the best eleven. La liga is fifty/fifty, and it's a long way to finally win it, but this title is within the reach of our hand. It was a hard job to arrive here where we are, we had to eliminate the best opponents (Sevilla, Villarreal) and only 3 games are remaining. Grab this Copa! Forget about la liga, focus only on this game, we should start to think about Atletico on Thursday.

The probable best lineup:

---------Valdes
Puyol-Milito-Marquez-Abidal
--------Toure
---Xavi--------Deco
Messi---Eto'o---Henry

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
If anything, and as risky as it may sound, the best place to rest players is in the return leg against Celtic. We need the best teams against Valencia and Atleti.

OOOOOHHHH I want this Cup!!!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
If we would reach the final: Is there anyone here who knows if the game will be played in the Benrnabeu? CdR matches usually are played there and I specifically remember Gaspart celebrating the copa win a couple of years back in the center-circle of the Bernabeu lifting his Barca scarf and tossing it around in the air. Ohhhhhhhh boy what a memory.

Now that's how we should celebrate all our title wins--in the devils backyard!! :D

But I remember Salgado and Calderon complaining last year after our 5-2 win over Getafe (when Madrid were knocked out in the erlier stage) about the final being played in the Bernabeu. They complained about it but I believe that the RFEF or LFP didn't bother with it.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
I think they decide on the venue after the semifinalists are known. They already decided on the Bernabeu for this season too IIRC.

1 - 20 of 184 Posts