Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First piece of silverware up for grabs this season and in the final we face a team we haven't beaten this season so the timing couldn't be more perfect.

Rio's obviously out injured(again) but Vidic's return this week was a big positive and will surely start the game and hopefully we keep up the solidity at the back now he's returned. No idea whether Giggsy will be back for this, i'd imagine not and Nani's still suspended so that creativity will once again be lacking in a final against one of the strongest defences in the league.

Not gonna bother posting a team but I do hope Owen starts, I fear Berbatov's game will be too predictable and too easily gobbled up by Dunne and co. Owen's clever movement and runs in behind the defences will be the bigger weapon in this game as we saw in the semi 1st leg vs City who under Mancini are a similarly drilled disciplined side, when Owen came on United and Rooney were getting chances for fun and we all remember how exciting those last 20 minutes were. Can only see frustration if Berbatov starts or if we go 4-5-1 without either of Nani/Giggs.

Being a final Villa will be even tighter than usual so i'm going with a 1-0 to United, Rooney getting another league cup final goal. :thumbsup: :hopeful:

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Gibson is going to start this one FOR SURE :depress:

Hopefully Owen gets to start, and crucial for Vidic to build his match fitness.

This one going to penalties........................

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
VDS
Rafael Vidic Evans Evra
Valencia Fletcher Carrick Scholes Park
Rooney​

Thanks.

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
VDS
Rafael Vidic Evans Evra
Valencia Fletcher Carrick Scholes Park
Rooney​

Thanks.
1 man upfront against Villa who'll most likely use a similar system but with quality on both wings unlike us if Park is starting(only option).

We'd just cancel eachother out and play to Villa's strengths of absolutely squeezing life out of the game.

·
Registered
13,916 Posts
1 man upfront against Villa who'll most likely use a similar system but with quality on both wings unlike us if Park is starting(only option).

We'd just cancel eachother out and play to Villa's strengths of absolutely squeezing life out of the game.
Villa surprised us by going 4-5-1 at Villa Park a couple of weeks back, maybe they didn't surprise Fergie but they rarely change from 4-4-2... we went in with 4-3-3 and then went on to boss them with 10 men.

Yes we could cancel each other out but they could overrun us in midfield like Everton did at the weekend... we could put that down as a one off, a bad day but there's definitely grounds for matching three against three in the middle.

I think he'll go for it and go 4-4-2 and I'd agree with that but I also wouldn't be shocked at a line up similar to Bateman's.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Yeah. Villa play 4-4-2 usually, they won't overun you in midfield, they'll play on the break.

·
Registered
13,916 Posts
But they played 4-5-1 against us at Villa Park the other week. That 4-5-1 for Villa didn't really work, we should have walked out winners. So whether O'Neil goes with that again...

It's going to be a bit of a guessing game for both managers as to what the other is going to come in with.

I think they'll go in 4-4-2 and try and hit us on the break and we'll go in 4-4-2 looking to dominate possession. It should make for an interesting game.

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
I don't care if he has not had a rest in a while or what not, but I'd ****ing hate it if Rooney gets dropped from a Final, when we can defend the cup. Piss cup or not, it's a cup.

On the same note, if Gibson starts we are asking for it. Youth or not, Villa are a team that did us at OT, so they are more than capable of beating us yet again.

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
Villa won't play 442 in a final and at the end of the day. When the other team plays 3 in the middle, you have to match them otherwise you'll get overrun.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I don't care if he has not had a rest in a while or what not, but I'd ****ing hate it if Rooney gets dropped from a Final, when we can defend the cup. Piss cup or not, it's a cup.

On the same note, if Gibson starts we are asking for it. Youth or not, Villa are a team that did us at OT, so they are more than capable of beating us yet again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_F.C._and_Manchester_United_F.C._rivalry#Football_rivalry
:greed::greed::greed::greed::greed::greed:

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

We'll lose if 'Gibbo' starts.

I've not seen a more talentless midfielder at United since Liam Miller, who was another similarly nothing player.

He's 22, you would have expected to see something else other than long range shooting by now.

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
Fergie's been on the sauce this morning then.

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Official team news:

TK
Rafael Vidic Evans Evra
Valencia Carrick Fletcher Park
Owen Berbatov

Subs - Foster, Neville, Brown, Rooney, Scholes, Gibson, Diouf
--------

We're resting Rooney for England? This makes zero sense. :(