Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the # 9 position seemed like the major problem for the NT after Crespo's dip of form, but now, u guyz have a whole list of candidates..

All have been in top form this season...Cavegol is the second top scorer in Ligue 1 after Benzema...Zarate and Milito r fighting w/ gilardino for top goalscoring title....Higuain just scored 4 goals yesterday...

which 2 do you guys prefer as a starter and first choice sub for the NT?

lisandro lopez and denis are decent back-ups too

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
Is hardly a question of VS., if we are smart is a question of +..and all of them with different characteristics

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Lisandro Lopez > All of them. Better build up play, more pace than most of them, and can score many different kinds of goals; right foot, left foot, great header of the ball.

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
Lisandro Lopez > All of them. Better build up play, more pace than most of them, and can score many different kinds of goals; right foot, left foot, great header of the ball.
The truth is that all of them score in any fashion, aside Mauro who obviosuly isn't there to head the ball, but actually is the most skill by a margin...anyway like I said is: PLUS, not VS

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
I would take Lisandro Lopez first. I like him since his old good days at Racing, always loved the way he scores and poses his personality over defenses. Higuain deserves several shots as well, he is developing big and could be that #9 the NT needs.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
I wonder if ARG could play without typical #9.

With Messi, Tevez, LuchoG and Lavezzi up there.

Sure maradona will not leave out super kun.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts

Tevezs' chances are getting smaller every game he is warming the bench in. Maradona loves him and Tevez is a brilliant player but he is going through a very hard time at the moment. Kuns' chances are bigger than his now so I think it will take some time before Tevez re-gains his place into the starting line-up again.

Cruz and Crespo are now history, hopefully.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts

argentina for sure can play withou a typical #9, but IMO it's not a good idea. We may win against smaller NT without a #9, but when it comes to the top team our team is to one dimensional in the attack and always plays through the middle. A #9 could solve that problem.

IMO Milito without a doubt!

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
while Cavenaghi has always been my favorite, Milito would be the best choice...I have regularly been watching him in Genoa this season and also followed him in Zaragoza last couple of years...He is a very underrated player...can score from anywhere and also helps creating chances for his teammates
Pure finishing wise (a la RVN, Ronaldo), he is better than Higuain and Zarate, while on par with Cavenaghi...don't know much about lisandro though

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
I choose none of the above.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
cruz is old, milito suck in NT (well he's been given his chance)........Zarate, Cav, Higuian & even Lopez must be given the chance now

·
Registered
93 Posts
Milito never performed well with the NT
I don't agree. He played an all right Copa America untill he was practically erased by Basile a couple of games before the final.

We would have won the game against Brazil if Milito was on the pitch.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Milito never performed well with the NT
Thats true, but he didnt play enough games with the NT to say he is not useful.

I think that nowadays he is the best option, followed by Lisandro who has been extraordinary during his time in Portugal.

But from all, Higuain is the one with more future. He is tall, has pace and a great technique for a CF. If he keeps this form for a while, he will be soon in the NT.

On teh other hand, Mauro is not the typical and pure Nº9, so with the others options avaible i wouldnt consider him for the position.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Cavenaghi. It's only because of a stupid move to Russia that we are even having this discussion really.

He has so much more quality as a nine than the likes of Milito, Lopez, Higuain and Zarate.

Zarate is like a poorer Aguero for me, Milito has already wasted chances for the national team which Cave would put away. Lopez is a bit of a jack of all trades, good at most things but not exceptional at any. Higuain is talented for sure, but prone to go missing in games and imo is being made to look better than he is by players around him.

Cav for me everyday, he's not the quickest, he's not great with his head and he isn't the strongest around. But he IS one of the most naturally gifted goalscorers in the world, which is what a 9 should be.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Agree with Cavenaghi...he is my personal favorite too...I was bewildered during the 02 and 03 Apertura's and Clausura championships but the finishings of Cavegol...even if he didn't end up as top scorer in all season, he class and coolness in front of goal reminded me of Batigol

My choice (in order)
1. Cavenaghi
2. Milito
3. Zarate
4. Higuain
5. Lopez

·
Registered
699 Posts
So, I guess most of us agree on the fact Argentina needs to play with a proper Center forward.

Speaking on current form and consistency over a period of time, I would certainly go for Diego Milito. He may have failed in his previous outings but he has hasn't had a long run to actually fit in.
Though Diego has not called him up this time, i'm sure he'll get his call soon. He's got great qualitites inside the box. And diego has not played any big teams be it in argentina or in Europe. He can be devastating when he plays with quality players that the NT has.
German has been called up. I'm not too sure about him; may be becos he plays for Napoli. He's scored 5 goals this season including a hat-trick. Positives abt him; he's good in the air and with hig built he can be a nuisance to any defence. But he is not prolific or efficient in front of goal, we wastes way too many chances for me. He has good qualities, if he can improve his weaknesses, then may be can be looked up in the future.
Lisandro was excellent last season, but this season he's been nothing close to that. So, I don't know if we can expect loads of goals from him playing for the NT to consider him for the No.9 position. Last season seems to be an one-off as far as Lisandro goes. Don't get me wrong he's a great footballer, strong, skillful, great head and spirit but to score goals consistently may be asking too much of him. Hopefully he proves me wrong though.

Coming to Cavenaghi, I reserve my comments cos I don't get to watch him play.

And NEVER EVER play Aguero, Lavezzi and Tevez as a striker because they are not and they will never be.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts