Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On an Arsenal forum we've been debating over whether or not our goalkeeper (Manuel Almunia) is better suited to punching the ball when it comes to him in the air, or catching it instead.

I think if you've grown up with the English football mentality you're taught that 'keepers should catch the ball. But ever since I've been a football fan I've always noticed continental keepers mostly punched whereas English 'keepers do their utmost to catch it. Simplistic, but mainly true.

Catching is good. If you get it right it works well but if you get it wrong it tends to end in a free for all. Punching is good. If you get height or distance then there's plenty of time for the defence to regroup and maybe sometimes create an attack. But if you get it wrong it tends to end in a free for all.

Which do you prefer?

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Catching - Anyone can punch!!

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
It depends on the goalkeeper, if he can catch it well then that would be the better approach, but if he is likely to be beaten in the air or drop it then punching would be the better option.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
If the ball is crossed and there is a big bunch of players it is better to punch because you might drop it and the people below will score but if it is a clear shot on the goal try to catch it because it might spill or a corner or directly in to the path of the opposing team's striker and into the back of the net.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
easy question. if you can catch it then catch it, if you can't, then punch it

·
Registered
46,396 Posts
khimik said:
I think if you've grown up with the English football mentality you're taught that 'keepers should catch the ball. But ever since I've been a football fan I've always noticed continental keepers mostly punched whereas English 'keepers do their utmost to catch it. Simplistic, but mainly true.
Probably you watched many crappy continental goalies cause here in serie A all the goalies use to catch the ball unless something prevents them from doing so. Maybe your Almunia guy does not represent the continental goalies so well. :D

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ToniSamp said:
Probably you watched many crappy continental goalies cause here in serie A all the goalies use to catch the ball unless something prevents them from doing so. Maybe your Almunia guy does not represent the continental goalies so well. :D
Lehmann hardly ever tries to catch it when he can. He always looks to punch it which is why he always flaps at it. Last week against Racing I noticed that Casillas was punching balls away that could've easily been caught instead, yet he sent them flying back into open play more often than not.

Heh.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Almunia punches even when there is no-one pressuring him, i'm all for punching but he takes it too ridiculous levels, maybe he's still nervous after dropping a couple of balls in recent matches.

·
Registered
46,396 Posts
khimik said:
Lehmann hardly ever tries to catch it when he can.
Milan sent him away after few months. ;)

I noticed that Casillas was punching balls away that could've easily been caught instead, yet he sent them flying back into open play more often than not.

Heh.
Casillas? he is Spanish, ask to the Spanish guys about the goalies school there. In Italy the rule for the goalies is "catch the ball whenever it's possible" and if you don't you are relegated to bench and probably sold in the next transfer campaign.

·
Premium Member
12,798 Posts
It depends on the football education in different countries.

In Italy & England, kids are taught to catch the ball in goalkeeping schools, priority is to retain possession & start an attack. In Germany and to some extent Spain, kids are taught to punch the ball, priority is to repel opponent's attacks and relieve pressure off the defense. That explains why Milan has won the CL & Scudetto in the last 2 seasons with a Brasilian between the posts. ;)

To sum it up: If David James were German, he'll be world class :shades:

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Its not all black and white as few have suggested. IMO, it all depends on the situations and weather during the match. Say, during a match in rainy weather or damp weather it is better to punch it out. In dry weather first preference should be to catch it.

Moreover, with shots that have real power....say for example from someone like Adriano or Nedved...... it is a very big risk to catch them as there is a big chance of spilling the ball onto the path of the onrushing oppositions. Also I feel more risk is involved in catching when the penalty area is crowded (usually during the end of the match or when the opposition is in a do or die situations), so better to punch it out rather than cathing in a high pressure situation.

So IMO its not about Lehman or Spanish goalkeepers but about the situation. ;) At the end of the day every goalkeeper has his own preferences and acts accordingly on what he feels comfortable. .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts