Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cassano calls Real Madrid

Antonio Cassano has taken the derby defeat badly and publicly invited Real Madrid to make an offer for him in the summer.

“Real Madrid fascinate me and this club is a dream for any football player,” he told television programme ‘TV7’. “If I continue along my own path, nothing is beyond my reach.”

This is certainly not the first time that the Italian international has hinted at his links with Real, but with contract renegotiations stalling and the 3-1 Rome derby defeat, it’s becoming an increasingly likely prospect.

“I would really love to have an overseas experience, as I’m not too fond of tactics and in Serie A you are forced to deal with them whether against a small or a big club.”

Cassano’s current deal expires in 2006 and if a new contract is not drawn up before the end of the season, Roma will be forced to sell the £15m rated youngster. Other sides said to be tracking his progress include Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Barcelona.

“We will see what happens in the future,” he continued. “In any case, my agent and I are evaluating every possibility. There are several overseas clubs who interest me, but Real Madrid are above the others.”

Madrid patron Florentino Perez had hinted that an initial approach had been made last year, but Cassano’s well-publicised personality clashes scuppered the deal. It is because of these problems that he is yet to play for the Azzurri under new Coach Marcello Lippi.

“I hope the call comes soon. I have spoken to Lippi a couple of times and he is a very honest person who says things to your face. I really admire that kind of man.”

The television interview concluded with Cassano asked to give an overview of his career so far, from the promise of a £20m move from Bari to his starring role at Euro 2004.

“I’d say I’ve done very well for myself. I am a bit of an over-the-top character, so I will always give myself a pat on the back as I believe in my own ability.”

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/jan8d.html

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
I think this season could be the end of Cassano. I do not blame him if he wants to leave to Real Madrid. As long as he doesnt go to Juve or Milan.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Its a surprise to see A Real fan not want Cassano who incidently is bette than Raul, Owen and Morientes but there you go. We would keep him if we were able too. I wouldnt be surprised to see Barca snap him up and leave Real a further few points behind :eek:

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
It would be too bad to leave italy to join Real Madrid..
I wonder why would it be a dream for every footballer, really strange..

I will pray cassano ( & Totti ) will never leave Italy, & it would be better if they think how to save AS Roma in the time left of this disastrous season.. I don't believe what Im hearing actually!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Madrid patron Florentino Perez had hinted that an initial approach had been made last year, but Cassano’s well-publicised personality clashes scuppered the deal
That's why Real Madrid doesn't want him. Anyway Cassano is a quitter, one bad thing and he quits. Remember the training bust up with Capello and Voeller, and Del Neri. Cassano mentality is "my way or the highway". He behaves like a 10 year old boy.
What can I say? Roma should have sold him before everybody knew that he is a headache

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
He is wonderfully talented, but i doubt he would really make it with that attitude

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
You win either way, Lista;)

“I’m not too fond of tactics and in Serie A you are forced to deal with them whether against a small or a big club.”
He's going to be in for a nasty shock when he finds out they use tactics in Spain too!

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
To be honest, unless he signs a contract, not sure if he has done this yet (anyone can update?) I would sell him in the summe rjust because we would need the money for his sale and then we could buy at least a good replamcement.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Who could replace Cassano? Would Totti stay then. I don't want to sound doom and gloom but without those players Roma is going to struggle a lot.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Look, unless Cassano signs a contract, we either sell him in the summer for a good sum of money or we keep him unhappy for 1 year and then he just goes for free the next summer.

I mean its your choice.

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
its just an interview....they dont ask him if he likes it in Roma or how he feels here...they ask him would he want to move to madrid...its just fabricated news that feeds on itself to create stories...hopefully he will sign a new contract and be with the team for a few move years, it sucks cause we spent so much money on him and if he goes we will not be getting his best years. thats the only sad part about it.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Deano said:
Look, unless Cassano signs a contract, we either sell him in the summer for a good sum of money or we keep him unhappy for 1 year and then he just goes for free the next summer.

I mean its your choice.
Sorry Deano I didn't explain myself properly and so you misinterpreted what I was saying. I was asking who could replace Cassano if and when he leaves. I was looking for options. I was also wondering if Cassano left if Totti would stay. Then I said that without these players Roma wouldn't definately suffer because these are the players that raise us above a mid-table team.

For Totti I think he might stay because all is not lost as we would still have Montella and some other good players. That is what I was saying and sorry for the ambiguity of it. Of course Roma has no real control over whether Cassano will sign or not.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Lets be honest, there are not many Cassano's around but certainly there are a few players with adequate skills. Montolivo (not exactly Cassano's position) is an option, but personnaly I think we could actually play a big number 9 next to Montella instead of opting for another Cassano... Or we could even play with 2 wingers if we decided to buy a couple and play a 4-4-2 with just Totti and Montella in attack supported by the wide players...

There are many options available when you get 25 million euros or so for a player.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Ronaldo, Raul, Owen, Morientes...where does Cassano actually fit in Real? I suppose Zidane is getting on in age now, and as a playmaker, Cassano is able to play this role as well.

It wouldnt surprise me if Real did get him, they are stupid enough to spend big on players and not use them.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Look at what Milan paid for Kaka and what a find he's been,A brilliant player excellent skill,model person and costed a snip.Think of that,If Cassano want's to go in the end so be it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts