Xtratime Community banner

Goalie

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
Joined
·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As Casillas seems untouchable in the NT, who do you think that deserves the 2nd place?

Real options:

-Santi Cañizares (Valencia CF), experience and 2nd goalkeeper so far.

-Victor Valdés (FC Barcelona), his season in Barcelona is being great. Finally, a successor for Zubi in Can Barça... 10 years later

-Pepe Reina (Villarreal CF), the man that stops all the PKs, but a great goalie in general. His names sounds loud lately.

-Dani Aranzubía (Athletic Club), the 3rd goalie in the last Euro, like Valdés, he has given stability to Athletic's goal after years of trying several options.

Who do you prefer?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
27,068 Posts
I went with experience for the keeper and I voted for Cañizares
 

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
Joined
·
11,971 Posts
I don´t really think Casillas should be untouchable, he has fantastic reflexes but he still comites the same mistakes in crosses as when he was 19, that doesn´t talk too well about Madrid coaches... Valdés has improved a lot, I wouldn´t be surprised if he ends up getting the starting spot now that he doesn´t comit those stupid penalties. Cañizares....he isn´t the same as he used to, but even if he manages to become starter, "mr bad luck" will find the way of getting injured in an unbelievable funny way.:D And Dani, he isn´t the same as last year, sometimes he´s overconfident, but he is very regular and good in the air, something I thank for the good of my nerves.

But if we have to choose a substitute goalie it has to be Reina. I already explained it in my list for the Euro but I repeat it. A normal situation of a sub goalie entering in the field is a penalty+red card for the starting one. And Reina has demonstrated during the years he is an amazing penalty stopper and a decent goalie so that´s enough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,665 Posts
I'd go with Toni Prats. Call me crazy but I see a confident keeper in him.
 

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
Joined
·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
SPANIARD said:
I'd go with Toni Prats. Call me crazy but I see a confident keeper in him.
Well, I would not choose him anyway, but I think that he should be at least starter in his team and Doblas has "stolen" him the place.

Txupa said:
I don´t really think Casillas should be untouchable, he has fantastic reflexes but he still comites the same mistakes in crosses as when he was 19, that doesn´t talk too well about Madrid coaches... Valdés has improved a lot, I wouldn´t be surprised if he ends up getting the starting spot now that he doesn´t comit those stupid penalties. Cañizares....he isn´t the same as he used to, but even if he manages to become starter, "mr bad luck" will find the way of getting injured in an unbelievable funny way. And Dani, he isn´t the same as last year, sometimes he´s overconfident, but he is very regular and good in the air, something I thank for the good of my nerves.

But if we have to choose a substitute goalie it has to be Reina. I already explained it in my list for the Euro but I repeat it. A normal situation of a sub goalie entering in the field is a penalty+red card for the starting one. And Reina has demonstrated during the years he is an amazing penalty stopper and a decent goalie so that´s enough.
Yes, I don't think that Casillas should be untouchable, but the Madrid press supports his "candidature" and no one can do anything against it... it happens the same with Raul, who should not be even in the NT. Clemente was brave when he killed the "Quinta del Buitre" when these people failed in Italy 90 and wasn't able to reach a place in the Euro 1992. Maybe if we don't qualify to the WC, someone could do the same with Raul. Anyway, Casillas is a good goalie and I think that he deserves the position. I rate him very high, but I don't like the idea of the "untouchables". In any case, he is.

Valdés has progressed a lot. He doesn't make the stupid PKs that you menctioned before anymore. Still he makes mistakes sometimes, as any goalie I guess. Valdés is very similar to Casillas.

Aranzubía has stopped his progression. This season I saw him very unsecure sometimes, I like him, but I'm not so sure about him.

Cañizares is good and experience and leadership are important, but I think that it's time to look for an option for the future and Cañizares time is over.

I also go for Reina. I like this kind of goalie, not spectacular, but secure. He reminds me Zubizarreta, it's like his natural successor... except in one thing, Reina stops penalties, while Zubi was unable to do it... Zubi just felt when the penalty takes started to run towards the ball.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,959 Posts
I would pick Canizares as well. He's a top goalie and together with Casillas probably the best in the league.
Thing is, that nobody is perfect and every goalie can make mistakes. Decisive should be, from whom we can expect to make less mistakes and more experianced goalies are in advantage here.
Although Valdes is very good too, he's not the level of Casillas or Canizares yet imo. He's got a problem with his temper, which was visible during the Valencia match, when he did a really stupid mistake and got a red card. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,405 Posts
canizares is becoming old and the spanish NT need an adequate replacement for him,and IMO valdes would the perfect choice

he has progressed a lot,he doen'st make mistakes like before and he's doing pretty well this season with barca(especially against getafe and sociedad) so i think he deserves a cal-up in the NT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,959 Posts
fc barcelona said:
canizares is becoming old and the spanish NT need an adequate replacement for him,and IMO valdes would the perfect choice

he has progressed a lot,he doen'st make mistakes like before and he's doing pretty well this season with barca(especially against getafe and sociedad) so i think he deserves a cal-up in the NT
Canizares is 36, what's not too old for a goalie.
Valdes doesn't make mistakes? The one I've mentioned before was one, which can be called a "novice" mistake, but i agree that he improved a lot during the last year. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,405 Posts
i said:"he doesn't make mistakes like before" it means he makes some mistakes but less than in the previous years ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
27,068 Posts
lili said:
Canizares is 36, what's not too old for a goalie.
Valdes doesn't make mistakes? The one I've mentioned before was one, which can be called a "novice" mistake, but i agree that he improved a lot during the last year. ;)
agree with Lili that age is not really an issue, I would want experience over youth in a big game.

Give time to the other young promising players to grow and mature. There time will eventually come if they remain consistant :star:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,144 Posts
Valdes has conceeded the least goals in the league this season. So he should be the goalie.
 

·
In Pep, We Trust!
Joined
·
6,149 Posts
I would go with Valdes being the second goalie and Reina the third. Canizares is old now and this is the prefect time to help Valdes and Reina increase their experience by playing in friendlies for the spanish NT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,959 Posts
fc barcelona said:
i said:"he doesn't make mistakes like before" it means he makes some mistakes but less than in the previous years ;)
hey, you really love it complicated, isn't it? :pp:D
Imo what counts is the mistake alone and not the number of them. Every goalie makes mistakes of course, but not everyone goes and picks the ball with his hands where he may not to do so. This mistake resulted in the fact, that you had to play two matches with a second keeper, who's risky and never plays actually. Good it happened in a time, when you didn't have big league matches ahead.
Like I said, Valdes is a quality keeper, but not same level as Canizares or Casillas and NT matches are far too important to take the risk imo. Perhaps in a year or two, he's still young and will have time enough also for the NT. ;)
 

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
Joined
·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For now, I rate Casillas higher than Valdés, because the madridista already has shown his class for 5 years. In any case, if I'm based only in this season, Valdés and Reina are over Casillas... and much over Cañizares.

IMO, Cañizares is the past. His form is not that great and he only can get worse, due to his age. So I think that it's time to change him, everyone have their time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,528 Posts
if I'm based only in this season, Valdés and Reina are over Casillas...
K4, I respect your opinion, but claiming Valdes and Reina are better than Casillas THIS season is far from true! Casillas has been awesome this season, infact better! Can you believe Real Madrid have actually one of the best defences this season in Liga? Who does that goes to, Salgado? No. Samuel? No many mistakes. Helguera? Same as Samuel. Carlos? Worst season. Casillas? YUP!!

The saves he made this season have not gave us a point or two, but infact MANY points and without that Real Madrid would have been well below their position right now.

Valdes has been great, but does he have to get into action more than 10 times in a match? Don't think so, he didn't make any astonishing save or something like that. He makes regular first class saves, but nothing special.

Reina? He is good, saved 2 penelties if I'm right, but same again, didn't make any REAL saves.

However, that was your opinion and this is mine :)
 

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
Joined
·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Real_Madrid said:
K4, I respect your opinion, but claiming Valdes and Reina are better than Casillas THIS season is far from true! Casillas has been awesome this season, infact better! Can you believe Real Madrid have actually one of the best defences this season in Liga? Who does that goes to, Salgado? No. Samuel? No many mistakes. Helguera? Same as Samuel. Carlos? Worst season. Casillas? YUP!!

The saves he made this season have not gave us a point or two, but infact MANY points and without that Real Madrid would have been well below their position right now.

Valdes has been great, but does he have to get into action more than 10 times in a match? Don't think so, he didn't make any astonishing save or something like that. He makes regular first class saves, but nothing special.

Reina? He is good, saved 2 penelties if I'm right, but same again, didn't make any REAL saves.

However, that was your opinion and this is mine :)
No problem. Football is about opinions and I've voted for Casillas in the GK 2004 thread of World Football forum. I don't deny his class. I just think that this season, he has had several bad days (Barcelona, Racing, Mallorca,...), more than Valdés or Reina. Anyway, it's just an opinion, as you said.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,405 Posts
Real_Madrid said:
Valdes has been great, but does he have to get into action more than 10 times in a match? Don't think so, he didn't make any astonishing save or something like that. He makes regular first class saves, but nothing special.
he gave us the 3 pts against getafe where we were under an intense pressure but he managed to make to 2 world class saves.

against sociedad,he was again our key man and won us the 3pts(of course eto'o was also teh key player)

for now,i rate casillas higher than valdes and i totally agree with u about the fact that he's the man who allowed RM to occupy such a good position and to concede few goals this season(the atletico game is the best exemple :cool: )

i just wish to see valdes called up in the NT because he really deserves it :proud: :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,491 Posts
I think Cañizares still has 'fuelle' for 1 or 2 years, then it will be time to play with Reina and Valdés. By now, these are my options:

1-Casillas
2-Cañizares
3-Reina
4-Valdés
5-Aranzubia
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top