1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
13,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roma receives advance TV payment to let it register for UEFA play>>>>

Associated Press
Mar. 30, 2004 2:08 p.m.

ROME (AP)— Financially struggling AS Roma received an advance payment for its TV rights that will enable the club to register for European play next season, local news agencies reported Tuesday.

The announcement that the Rupert Murdoch-controlled pay-TV outlet Sky paid Roma €12 million (US$14.5 million) came a day before a national deadline for UEFA requirements, the ANSA and Apcom news agencies reported.

The payment from Sky was not due until April 30, but was made a month in advance to give Roma a chance of playing in next season's Champions League or UEFA Cup.

Roma is currently in third place in Serie A and the top four teams at the end of the season earn a chance to play in the lucrative Champions League.

Roma's shares were suspended from trading on the Milan Stock Exchange earlier Tuesday pending a statement.

The club said earlier this month it was opening talks with banks to set up a financial consortium able to guarantee the company's expected recapitalization.

Roma has debts of around €250 million (US$303 million) and lost €47.8 million (US$58 million) in the first half of 2003, or more than a third of its capital, meaning that under Italian law it must recapitalize.

Roma president Franco Sensi has made public his plans to sell his majority stake in the club and was close to a deal with Russian oil company Nafta-Moskva until talks broke down early this month.

Roma still faces serious questions about whether it will be able to register for the top Italian league next season.

The country's soccer federation recently approved a strict set of measures that will require its clubs to have their finances in order before they can play another season.

Federation president Franco Carraro said the measures went "beyond current UEFA standards" and that if they were put into effect immediately in Serie A and B, "60 percent of the clubs would be cast out."

"Whoever is not in order cannot enter the league," Carraro said.

The prevailing theme at a soccer summit organized in Milan on Monday to address such a scenario suggested that teams failing to meet financial requirements be relegated by one division. >>>>
:nervous: :wallbang:

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
Primo said:
Roma has debts of around €250 million (US$303 million) and lost €47.8 million (US$58 million) in the first half of 2003, or more than a third of its capital, meaning that under Italian law it must recapitalize.
:eek: Holy Mary, Mother of God :dazed:

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Cash infusion for CL, but big debts remain

Quivering said:
Agreed! Is selling their top players even enough?
Not Unless...they plan to sell Emerson at €25m...Samuel €25m and Totti and Cassano at €100m each.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
we can take care of your top players... :D

btw, i have a question...why sensi still bought chivu when your team already had a lot of debts last summer?? was it because of the request from totti?? i remember he said that either sensi signed a star or he left before u got chivu...

damn...chivu was so close to join us... :fero:

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Primo said:
That is a total BS figure, its more like €90million, where do they get this from? How could we possibly be €250million in debt, i doubt that even our wages and players bought over the past four years without any revenue would amount to that.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
More worrying from that was the fact it says we lost 47million so far this year. That his to be crap because how can you lose that amount in 3 months? on what exactly, wages aint that high to make us lose this much.

Still, we really do need a buyer.

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
Well if their debt is €250m...they will need to lower their debt to €167m by August or they will be relegated to Serie B...or another division if the FIGC choose to do so.

·
Rated [D] for Danger
5,472 Posts
Carson35 said:
btw, i have a question...why sensi still bought chivu when your team already had a lot of debts last summer?? was it because of the request from totti?? i remember he said that either sensi signed a star or he left before u got chivu...

damn...chivu was so close to join us... :fero:
yes, Roma bought Chivu to spite you :D

whatever the case is a buyer is must or we're gonna face a couple of major squad changes.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Deano said:
More worrying from that was the fact it says we lost 47million so far this year. That his to be crap because how can you lose that amount in 3 months? on what exactly, wages aint that high to make us lose this much.

Still, we really do need a buyer.
It says first half of 2003. And I've seen that 250 million figure before but it was just a thread filled with rumours and speculations so I didn't trust it.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
oh I thought it said 2004

still, how in 6 months can you lose 47 million, thats got to be crap... that basically means we get no income and just spend so much on our wages... we have high wages, but not this high in comparison the income we must get.

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
Deano said:

still, how in 6 months can you lose 47 million, thats got to be crap... that basically means we get no income and just spend so much on our wages... we have high wages, but not this high in comparison the income we must get.
You'd be surprised your rivals Lazio posted around the same figure this month as well for January - March 2004. So much so that their trading stopped that day...this was last Tuesday.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Deano said:

I believed it to be wellknown that many serie A clubs pay more in wages than they have in income.I read for example that Parma had (2 or 3 years ago) player wages that was more than 140% of their income... Still that figure sounds quite much. I could be so that part payment of transfers was done in that period, it is clear that pretty much all transfers nowadays is paid in several parts.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
That is true, we really need to balance the books and that means letting some of our much over-rated high paid players like Delvecchio and Panucci go.

We ned to base our team on a great first team and a good young bench.

Or we just need a new buyer :rolleyes:

·
Rated [D] for Danger
5,472 Posts
you think Cerci and Corvia are ready for bench duty? maybe Sarno can join them in a couple of seasons, but would Cap give them any pitch time at all? D'Agostino anyone?

·
Registered
11,360 Posts
Well, the 47 mil loss figure is reliable, it was included in the official statement made by the club earlier this year. I remember the total income was 49 mil for that period. I think it's not so strange, for that period we bought Chivu and payed the whole transfer fee at once, and the total wagebill for the 6 month period is about 40-50 mil. euros.

Anyway, Lazio lost over 60 mil. for the same period, which was the real shock for me.

About the total debt, it's anyone's guess, it changes drastically in every article.

BTW, today is expected an important statement about the fiture of the club. I am getting really nervous...

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I think its time we sold many of our high paid players who are not in any real form anymore

and replace these with some good youngsters or cheap buys who are good.

For example we can allow Delvecchio and Carew to and allow Corvia and Cerci in the main squad... we can allow Panucci to go and allow Bovo to come back... things like this

we may also need to be very good with some buys this year

so for example we can exchange Candela for another good left back.

As long as we keep Totti, Emerson, Samuel, Chivu, Totti, Cassano, Dacourt, De Rossi, Mancini and maybe others and build around these, then we can be happy. The main players are the ones which make a team, apart from them, what really is the difference between Sartor and Candela? or Tacchinardi and Colucci?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts