Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok this ain't a thread solely dedicated to Matthew Carrick whos done well imo in our midfield but to look at the centre of Englands midfield in general. Just hope Sven gets his senses back, selects the right players and goes back to 4-4-2 a system more accustomed to by Englands players then the 2 CMs would definitely be Gerrard and Lampard, but behind that who do you have?

Hargreaves - versatile hardworking player but tbh not very inspiring

Butt - hardworker and an honest player but does he have the pass of a Carrick?

Joe Cole - lots of flair but he's merely a back-up/ rotation player at Chelsea right? question is also whether he can defend and if it isn't a too big risk if he loses the ball too easily when he goes on one of his dribbles .

Jenas- runs a lot and tall but Carricks a better passer imo

Bowyer - runs a lot too and he was great in his Leeds days but is he still the same? and does he actually play in the middle now? not sure

Carrick can be a bit inconsistant but he's a hardworker and his passing can be excellent. He's also a regular at Spurs and that's what I think is something Sven should consider. It's no use picking benchwarmers like what Advocaat did with Kluivert since they'll only be rusty for their NT. So what do you think folks?

Carrick for the next England squad ? and who along with him would form the back-up of your England centre midfield?

·
Welcome To Jamrock
9,729 Posts
Former West Ham, of course he's gonna be called up ;)

·
Registered
59,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eddie said:
Former West Ham, of course he's gonna be called up ;)
but who needed to be developed to the absolute top by the mighty Spurs to make that one big step up :pp unlike Anton Ferdinand :mute: and the gifts we've given you in return :D

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
12,813 Posts
Good grief, I always knew he was on drugs!

Not only does he not know the names of his own players but he thinks Carrick is England quality right now :howler:

Are you sent by the Dutch team to muck our team up ????? :fero:

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
I still don't know how in the hell Dyer and Jenas got in ahead of him, they've been nothing short of a bad joke. Carrick (Michael that is :pp) meanwhile has shown he is one of the best passers of the balls around. There are a lot of players I'd rather go with than those two.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Twayka said:
no man, gerrard, lampard, butt, jenas, are all better in the cm
You really think Jenas is better? Parker is ten times the player Jenas is, Carrick is around three times. :pp Butt got injured in the euro's and is injured often now, whats the point of bringing him.

·
Registered
22,800 Posts
Carrick is a poor man's Xavi. Good player nevertheless. I agree with Mark, talentwise Parker is better than him but as long as he isn't getting regular football, Carrick deserves a call-up imo.

·
Registered
59,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'm not the only one to call him Matthew :stuckup: LINK and I'm sure he'd be honored to have the same name as the great Stanley Matthews :proud:

Now messing aside, are you some of you Carrick bashers content in seeing folks like Nicky Butt, Kieron "no brains roadrunner" Dyer, Hargreaves etc etc in Englands midfield? they're honest pros (bar Dyer whos a prat imho like Kluivert) but they won't move England on. England has the squad to do well in Germany but picking these guys will only see England as usual get knocked out in the 1/4s or 2nd round when they face a technical side as the guys I mentioned are just slightly more creative than Steffen Freund!

Imagine if say Lampard or Gerrard got injured after 60 minutes in the worldcup quarter finals and ENgland were pressing the opposition. Would you honestly prefer see the non creative and non inspiring Owen Hargreaves or even worse Phil Neville come on?! you might as well switch your TV off as it's obvious England would have no creativity and then as always lose on penalties. With a passer like Carrick you'd have a creative spark in midfield who has the ability to split defences open and possibly decide the game before penalties or extra time. Definitely more chance of him doing so than the other guys I mentioned above.

Anyways Carrick's working now under a top class coach in Martin Jol who's a coach who improves players. The guy you saw last week, Khalid Bouhlarouz was on the verge of quitting football ! as no-one wanted him but Jol took the gamble, took him and has developed him into a great prospect and we now possibly have a great replacement for the now retired Jaap Stam. There is no reason to not believe Jol will do the same with Carrick who's one of the most English talented midfielders imo.

Forgot about Scott Parker too :eek:. Would have him too above Carrick but he definitely needs to find a new club before getting considered for the NT.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Carrick definitely belongs in the NT, I've thought this since 2000. Time to get rid of bums like P.Neville, Dyer, and Butt and give the chances to Carrick and Parker.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts