Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

From sky sports:

Arsenal are believed to be stepping up their interest in Espanyol's highly-rated keeper Carlos Kameni.

The Cameroon international has been regularly reviewed by Manchester United but Arsene Wenger has reportedly muscled his way to the front of the queue in the race to sign the oustanding goalie.

Catalan media reports claim Wenger spoke with Kameni during the recent Camp Nou charity match in aid of the victims of the Tsunami.

United sent goalkeeping coach Tony Coton to see the Espanyol number one but Arsenal are emerging as the favourites to sign him, if his club agree to any move.

"The idea of the club is that Carlos remains on our staff," coach Miguel Angel Lotina told Sport.

"He is a player who is growing and his value is increasing which means that if an offer came, then we could not reject it automatically and for that reason the sports director is looking at players each day.

"In England there are various teams that have problems with their goalkeepers and so it would not be strange if an offer is made for him.
"The game against Barcelona was seen across Europe and Kameni's actions were sensational.

"But we have not received any offers for Kameni."

The African shot-stopper has a buy-out clause of €6 million which the club have been trying to renegotiate.

"The only thing I can say is that the player will improve more and, in some years, his value in the football market will be over €6 million," added Lotina.

Kameni was previously a target for Wolves when at Le Havre but the Molineux club could not obtain a work permit.

However, Kameni is adamant that he has no desire to quit the club that has given him the chance to play top flight football, and he is keen to repay that confidence.

"I just want to stay here and continue playing with Espanyol," the 20-year-old said.

"Of course, nobody knows what could happen in two, three or four years time.

"It is equally possible that I will finish my career here. I will never forget the confidence the club has shown in me.

"Despite my age and inexperience they have taken shown great faith in me. There are so many people here that have shown me real humanity."

Kameni is a 20-years old reality. The Most Improved footballer of the World in my opinion and arguably a world top-5 in his position amongst Cech, Buffon, Casillas & Dida.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes, the man is wondeful. Cameroon is lucky to have a player like that.
In all the matches I've watched with him playing, it's obvious that he is saving Espanyol from loosing so much. They really need him.

Great goalie, and will eventually develop into one of the best. Hopefully.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
I think that people are overrating this goalie... His reflexes are amazing, but he's very unsafe sometimes, I think that he doesn't read the game very well.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you're biased 'cause he's 'periquito'. :pp

But you're right. He has some things to improve. Without them, he should the best goallie nowadays. But he still has the potential and the skills. (Remember 21 years, he has 15 years to play)

Most of the people of this board never has seen him so I don't thing is hyped at all.

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
1,944 Posts
I agree with K4. His reflexes are the best I've seen but his game reading and basic GK technique can improve. I think it will come with experience though. He will be a very good GK in the near future.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts