Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just wondering if you would rate roberto carlos' free kick against france as the best ever free kick taken. Regardless of what the distance was etc etc, but in terms of style of the free kick, power, curve etc.

I personaly havent seen a better one in my opinion it is the best so far.
Please share your thoughts ;)

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
no,, any person with tough leg muscles can shoot it ...

all depends on the power,, can carlos shoot a beckham foul that curves over the wall? don't think so.

Totti's foul x Inter this year was better then carlos's foul,, and Del Piero's foul x Celtic and DP's foul x Monaco in the 4-1 match thrashing.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I hadn't really heard of Carlos before that free-kick. I was expecting him to be able to do that every few weeks. To my knowledge, he never managed another one like it. Has to be one of the most memorable free-kicks ever, even if it was a fluke.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Ivan K said:
Hi all,
Just wondering if you would rate roberto carlos' free kick against france as the best ever free kick taken. Regardless of what the distance was etc etc, but in terms of style of the free kick, power, curve etc.

I personaly havent seen a better one in my opinion it is the best so far.
Please share your thoughts ;)

i like it a lot but i wouldn't go as far as saying it's the best free kick. rivelino had scored some impressive ones. i think the one ronaldinho scored against england during the world cup is much more beautiful than the one roberto carlos scored.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Egyptian_Juventino said:
no,, any person with tough leg muscles can shoot it ...

all depends on the power,, can carlos shoot a beckham foul that curves over the wall? don't think so.

Totti's foul x Inter this year was better then carlos's foul,, and Del Piero's foul x Celtic and DP's foul x Monaco in the 4-1 match thrashing.

Are you telling me that anyone with tough leg muscles can shoot it?
If that is the case then any body builder could do what carlos did :rollani:

Beckham has one of the best curves in the world in free kicks but he can no way produce such curle and power at the same time like carlos did with that free kick.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Angle_eyes said:
I hadn't really heard of Carlos before that free-kick. I was expecting him to be able to do that every few weeks. To my knowledge, he never managed another one like it. Has to be one of the most memorable free-kicks ever, even if it was a fluke.
he had scored something similar against jamaica in a friendly. just because a player never replicates a goal or an action doesn't mean the action or goal was a fluke. maradona never replicated the goal he scored against england. does that mean it was fluke?

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
brazil_forever said:
he had scored something similar against jamaica in a friendly. just because a player never replicates a goal or an action doesn't mean the action or goal was a fluke. maradona never replicated the goal he scored against england. does that mean it was fluke?
Solo goals are nothing like free-kicks. I said "even if it was a fluke" anyway. Not the same as calling it a fluke.

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,495 Posts
Diego Maradona - Rivelino free kicks - enough said!

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
I prefer the free-kicks of Maradona and Zola and bods like that, all about touch and precision rather than power.

my favourite power free-kick was the Gazza one v the Arsenal, although i hated it at the time.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Great free kick, but it was more luck then quality I think.
The way Beckham, Van Hooijdonk, F de Boer or Zidane take free kicks is really amazing, they are the real artists.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
In the book I'm currently reading, "The White Angels" by John Carlin, he discusses Roberto Carlos' free-kick against France. He also remarked on how Carlos' thighs are _twenty-four inches_ wide; that's TWO feet for Christ's sake! That's the same size thighs that Muhammad Ali had when he was heavyweight champion of the world, but Ali was 6'3" and Carlos is barely 5'6".

The free-kick in itself was absolutely incredible. I've seen Carlos hit balls that have absolutely no spin or movement whatsoever, just the ball on a flat surface screaming through the air.

Here's one more stat from the same book...

Carlos' free-kicks are consistently marked at just under 100 miles per hour. That's like a Randy Johnson fastball comign right at you.

Nobody can blast the ball like he did, and no free kick ever will be as good as Carlos' against France.

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Mihajlovic vs Chelsea in 2000 I believe is my personal favourite. That was one awesome free kick

·
Registered
841 Posts
FigoIsGod said:
In the book I'm currently reading, "The White Angels" by John Carlin, he discusses Roberto Carlos' free-kick against France. He also remarked on how Carlos' thighs are _twenty-four inches_ wide; that's TWO feet for Christ's sake! That's the same size thighs that Muhammad Ali had when he was heavyweight champion of the world, but Ali was 6'3" and Carlos is barely 5'6".

The free-kick in itself was absolutely incredible. I've seen Carlos hit balls that have absolutely no spin or movement whatsoever, just the ball on a flat surface screaming through the air.

Here's one more stat from the same book...

Carlos' free-kicks are consistently marked at just under 100 miles per hour. That's like a Randy Johnson fastball comign right at you.

Nobody can blast the ball like he did, and no free kick ever will be as good as Carlos' against France.

Actually in another interview I read, when asked about "that" free kick against France, he admitted it was a fluke and the ball was a very light one which is why it curled so much.

Wow, he lived for so long living off that free kick.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
Juul2k said:
Great free kick, but it was more luck then quality I think.
The way Beckham, Van Hooijdonk, F de Boer or Zidane take free kicks is really amazing, they are the real artists.
There was a free-kick Van Hooijdonk scored for Feyenoord in the UEFA cup, against Freiburg I think, and it was absolutely incredible. The kick was from a spot that 99% of people would try to cross the ball, yet he Launched this missle direct into the far corner of the goal, and I mean RIGHT in the corner, any closer to the corner and it would have hit the post.

I have the clip. :party:

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
pure luck anyway (carlos freekickS)

i've never saw carlos curl a freekick above the wall of players,, just bang them and the GK doesn't even see it,, it's all a matter of power imo.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Just the best. at least that i've ever seen!!!

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
i've never saw carlos curl a freekick above the wall of players,, just bang them and the GK doesn't even see it,, it's all a matter of power imo.
So do you mean Carlos has to shoot them like everyone else? LOL
Thats Carlos' style boy!

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Branco & Eder kicked the same style free kicks, which used to bend much more and the scroing freuency level were 80% higher than Roberto Carlos.

Please don't counter argue saying that the "wall"of the players in europe is different than SA because of the milk they drink in the breakfast

·
Registered
869 Posts
Maradona still tops my list
Baggio scored from difficult positions as well
Maradona scored from impossible positions, even inside the box (aganist Juve)

..............X
...........Baggio

.............____________________________________
.............I ........................................................I
.............I...........M............................................I
.............I.........................................................I
M...........I.........................................................I
---------I----------T________________T----------I

1 - 20 of 35 Posts