Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question for the long time Roma fans on this forum. Do you remember Carlos Bianchi? What kind of manager was he at Roma, and why did he not last longer than a few months at the club? I am curious to know why, because he has won the lot with Boca Juniors and Velez in Argentina and the rest of South America and he is arguably one of the greatest South American managers that ever lived. So how come was he a failure in European football? Is this is an example of how South American football is at an inferior standard to European football ? Waiting for the replies, Thanks

·
Banned
12,611 Posts
Spirit-OF-SRT said:
Is this is an example of how South American football is at an inferior standard to European football ?
Bianchi:

Boca Juniors
(Argentina) 1 - 1
aet
(pen 3-1) A.C. Milan
(Italy)
Boca Juniors: Abbondanzieri -- Schiavi, Perea, Burdisso, Rodriguez -- Cagna, Cascini, Donnet, Battaglia -- Schelotto (73 min Tevez), Iarley
A.C. Milan: Dida -- Costacurta, Maldini, Cafu, Pancaro -- Seedorf, Gattuso (102 min Ambrosini), Pirlo, Ricardo Izecson Dos (78 min Rui Costa) -- Tomasson (60 min Inzaghi), Shevchenko
Goals: 1-0 Tomasson (24 min), 1-1 Donnet (29 min)
Cautions: Boca Juniors -- Perea / A.C. Milan -- Kaka, Cafu
Referee: Valentin Ivanov (Russia)
Attendance: 66,575
MVP: Donnet (Boca Juniors)

Bayern München
(Germany) 1 - 0
aet Boca Juniors
(Argentina)
Bayern München: Kahn -- Sagnol, Lizarazu, Kuffour, R. Kovac -- N. Kovac (76 min Jancker), Fink, Hargreaves (76 min Sforza) -- Elber, Sergio, Pizarro (118 min Thiam)
Boca Juniors: Cordoba -- Schiavi, Martinez (18 min Calvo, 111 min Carreño), Burdisso, Rodriguez -- Serna, Traverso, Riquelme, Villarreal (100 min Pinto) -- Delgado, Schelotto
Goal: 1-0 Kuffour (109 min)
Expulsion: Delgado (CC)
Cautions: Bayern München: Kuffour, Hargreaves, Elber / Boca Juniors: Serna, Rodriguez, Schelotto, Cordoba, Schiavi
Referee: Kim Milton Nielsen (Denmark)
Attendance: 51,360
MVP: Kuffour (Bayern München)

Boca Juniors
(Argentina) 2 - 1 Real Madrid
(Spain)
Boca Juniors: Cordoba -- Bermudez, Traverso, Ibarra, Matellan -- Basualdo, Serna, Riquelme, Battaglia (93 min Burdisso) -- Delgado (88 min Guillermo Barros Schelotto), Palermo
Real Madrid: Iker Casillas -- Hierro, Roberto Carlos, Karanka -- McManaman (67 min Savio Bortolini), Figo, Makelele, Ivan Helguera, Guti, Geremi Sorele -- Raul
Goals: 1-0 Palermo (3 min), 2-0 Palermo (6 min), 2-1 Roberto Carlos (12 min)
Cautions: Boca Juniors -- Ibarra, Battaglia / Real Madrid -- Ivan Herguera, Geremi
Referee: Oscar J. Ruiz Acosta (Colombia)
Attendance: 52,511
MVP: Palermo (Boca Juniors)

Vélez Sarsfield
(Argentina) 2 - 0 A.C. Milan
(Italy)
Vélez Sarsfield: Chilavert -- Trotia, Cardozo, Almandoz, Sotomayor -- Gomez, Bassedas, Basualdo, Pompei -- Asad, Flores
A.C. Milan: Rossi -- Tassotti, Maldini, Costacurta, Baresi -- Albertini, Donadoni, Desailly, Boban (60 min Simone) -- Savicevic (86 min Panucci), Massaro
Goals: 1-0 Trotta (50 min Pen), 2-0 Asad (57 min)
Cautions: Vélez Sarsfield -- Trotia, Almandoz, Gomez, Asad / A.C. Milan -- Rossi, Albertini, Simone, Savicevic
Sent-off: A.C. Milan -- Costacurta
Referee: José Joaquín Torrea (Colombia)
Attendance: 47,886
MVP: Asad (Vélez Sarsfield)

So,3-1 Bianchi.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
the main reason Bianchi didn't stay longer was lack of results. anyway he lasted most of 96/97, which is a long way ahead of Voller ;) can't remember that much (wasn't so much of a Roma fan in those days). it's not that he was "unsuited to the Italian game" or naive or anything though. he had the team playing fairly defensively, kind of like what Cuper did at Inter, except with an inferior squad, so they struggled. a club with ambition weren't patient with this, but maybe he could have had success in Europe if he stayed longer or went to another club. i'm not sure though, i just checked how the league finished that year and Roma was closer to Serie B than the scudetto.

i remember reading more recently that another factor was that he couldn't handle the emerging Totti, and apparently would try playing him out of position as a striker, but Totti wasn't a big hitter in those days so i don't think this had much to do with Bianchi leaving. also, as Purger points out he's had plenty of success against European sides, so the failure with Roma isn't really an example of Europe being superior than South America at club level.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I heard that Bianchi wanted to sell Totti back then :eek:

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Deano said:
He was steps away from Sampdoria, all because of Bianchi.

To put it this way, Bianchi was fired with a few months to go of the season, and Liedholm came in to stear things up. He did, and Roma climbed a lot in the table, yet only ended up 13th that year. Bianchi was nothing but a natural disaster at Roma.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Deano said:
Bianchi at Roma sucked. He wanted to sell Totti because he said that he was not even worth Serie C and wanted to replace him with an ARG player called Pandolfi. Go figure that Totti is now world class and Pandolfi I doubt even plays anymore. If he does its in Arg in some 3rd level team.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts