Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
JESTER OF SORTS
21,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: My initial post was a complete abortion, as I did not see that Chelseafc.com had released an article on the very things I was asking about.

One must never, ever underestimate lower opposition. We learned this with Barnsley, but I've never fallen to the trap, every team has a chance to beat any team on any given night. And it seems neither has Chelsea. They confirmed they have checked Burnley out, and are treating them as a Premier League team.

Scolari has stated he will have 6-7 changes in the starting 11 for this game, from the previous games, and some of those benched will come on later as subs.

I would really like to see Ivanovic start, though. His last game was, incidentally, the previous Carling Cup game against Portsmouth.

-Drogba is confirmed to play
-Joe Cole is confirmed to not play
-Ballack is confirmed to not play, but he is back in full training

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Ivanovic last game was at home against Aston Villa, and he did really well. From the few minutes I've seen Bane, IMO he is an awesome defender. I hope he doesn't tire of waiting on the bench because we have an excellent defender for the future in him. (Scolari should give him more minutes).

Obviously he will play this match. And I hope to see minutes for the youngsters, Sinclair and Di Santo. If we are winning the game, I would like to see the first team debut for Miroslav Stoch. The boy is enjoying a great matches with reserves and deserves an opportunitie.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Here is a short preview from the BBC:

Chelsea may rest some of their top stars, with young Argentine striker Franco Di Santo and Scott Sinclair hoping for a starting place.

Miroslav Stoch and Branislav Ivanovic may also play, while Didier Drogba and Joe Cole are also looking for the nod.

Burnley are without Steve Thompson (cup-tied) and Clarke Carlisle is banned after his sending-off at Wolves.

Michael Duff will replace Carlisle and Steven Caldwell and Stephen Jordan will play if they are passed fit.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Cudicini, Hilario, Ferreira, Bridge, Obi Mikel, Ivanovic, Alex, Terry, Lampard, Mineiro, Drogba, Belletti, Anelka, Malouda, Kalou, Deco, Bosingwa, J Cole, Stoch, Sinclair

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Team: Cudicini, Ferreira, Alex, Ivanovic, Bridge (captain), Mineiro, Belletti, Deco, Malouda, Kalou and Drogba. On bench: Hilario, Terry, Mikel, Woods, Lampard, Sinclair and Di Santo.

I'm dissapointed. No Stoch even on bench and Sinclair should have been starter ahead of Malouda or Kalou.

·
Third Place winner, March 2009 Photo Contest
977 Posts

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
1-1 Burnley

So it seems fielding a completely mixed up team backfires.

Don't tell me we lose now.
There was nothing wrong with that team, it is the Carling Cup and this team should have easily beaten a championship side. I'm not happy with the team that he has put out, because he still put out players that have been tested, I would have wanted to see youngsters. What has he accomplished here, nothing, a side with top class players, all players that are good enough and have been tested, but still gets a draw. In the other hand, if he put out a couple of youngsters, even if you loose, you know you were able to test some of those that really needed.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts