Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 11 52.4%
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Winter is Coming.
8,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well boys, first 'big' final of the season. Winner is guaranteed a spot in Europe. pre pre match discussions here;

who's going to take it?

note* might want to wait a while before casting a vote, you might actually try to guess the result via looking at current form etc.

·
International
1,878 Posts
By virtue of the result last evening, this will mean that we will not be playing in the Inter-Toto Cup next season (unless Chel$ki fails to win the EPL, which is highly unlikely).

UEFA Cup, here we come!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Considering it would be Chelsea Owen, but that was the same thing everyone did the last time we got to Cardiff, and yet we still won.

:pp

Not saying we have a great chance, given our injury problems, but what the heck for the fun of it. And I'd like us to be the first domestic side to halt Chelsea';s march to their treble/quadrupple :D

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
I will assess the situation closer to the match ;)

Although I will say at the moment our chances look very bleak.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Liverbird said:
By virtue of the result last evening, this will mean that we will not be playing in the Inter-Toto Cup next season (unless Chel$ki fails to win the EPL, which is highly unlikely).

UEFA Cup, here we come!
actually if we lose the final the uefa place will go to the team that finishes 6th in EPL and not the LeagueCup runners-up. So, not exactly a guaranteed spot in Europe. Although it's guaranteed cuz we can't finish below the 6th spot. Who else besides Everton and Boro are there to compete with us for 4th - 6th? Even considering all the injuries and bad luck we have no right imo to finish below Charlton or M.City. And if we do then we might find excuses for being relegated as well.

My 2 c.

·
Winter is Coming.
8,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
zico said:
actually if we lose the final the uefa place will go to the team that finishes 6th in EPL and not the LeagueCup runners-up. So, not exactly a guaranteed spot in Europe. Although it's guaranteed cuz we can't finish below the 6th spot. Who else besides Everton and Boro are there to compete with us for 4th - 6th? Even considering all the injuries and bad luck we have no right imo to finish below Charlton or M.City. And if we do then we might find excuses for being relegated as well.

My 2 c.
you're right zico, but nothing can guarantee, as you know football isn't about deserving or 'right's, just look at our games against Chelsea this year and games we just dominated and deserved to win but we didn't. Nothing is for certain as far as i'm concerned.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
My heart says Liverpool. But my brain speaks Chelsea.

·
Registered
300 Posts
well i think that liverpool will win the title at the end.chelsea will just lck thier wounds at their end .dorget current form ,that does not count in a final.just mancs and they will tell you .

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Owenization-NRG said:
you're right zico, but nothing can guarantee, as you know football isn't about deserving or 'right's, just look at our games against Chelsea this year and games we just dominated and deserved to win but we didn't. Nothing is for certain as far as i'm concerned.
anything can happen in a particular game, everybody knows soccer is unpredictable (although not many bet against Chelski these days ;) ). However, how often have you seen league table to lie at the end of the season? If we are to finish below 6th place do you intend to pretend that it was due to bad luck? Then maybe its only cuz of huge slice of fortune that Chelski will be crowned champions?

·
Winter is Coming.
8,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
zico said:
However, how often have you seen league table to lie at the end of the season? If we are to finish below 6th place do you intend to pretend that it was due to bad luck? Then maybe its only cuz of huge slice of fortune that Chelski will be crowned champions?
Thats exactly what i'm talking about.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
zico said:
...If we are to finish below 6th place do you intend to pretend that it was due to bad luck? Then maybe its only cuz of huge slice of fortune that Chelski will be crowned champions?...
What you've said is right, however, just for the sake of argument, speaking of THIS season, although i would not put the blame on it entirely, I'd still say bad luck did significantly affect our progress and performances this season. The remaining uninjured players had the chance to impress, but some didn't and if that means that's the best they can do, then I guess they're not good enough.

As for Chelsea winning the EPL is down to good fortune, I don't think the logic should be stretched that far :) We are only speaking of our team, and credit should be where it's due if Chelsea win the league :shades:

Fact is, everyone can see how we were affected by the injuries on the pitch, and how well have Chelsea played consistently this season.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
imo the absence of Alonso is the only thing that seriously affecting our team. Yes, Baros - the other major player - was in and out for a while, but that type of things happen to every club all the time (MU and RVN for ex.) Kewell and Cisse never looked settled and have not significantly contributed to anything anyway. Ok, Gerrard missed a few games too. But that's about it. Am I missing anything?

So, what if we didn't sign Alonso? Or if he got injured before arriving to Anfield? Then what? we would have a legitimate excuse to sink to any lows? Get relegated maybe?

I'm afraid I'm not following your logic, my friends.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
zico said:
imo the absence of Alonso is the only thing that seriously affecting our team. Yes, Baros - the other major player - was in and out for a while, but that type of things happen to every club all the time (MU and RVN for ex.) Kewell and Cisse never looked settled and have not significantly contributed to anything anyway. Ok, Gerrard missed a few games too. But that's about it. Am I missing anything?

So, what if we didn't sign Alonso? Or if he got injured before arriving to Anfield? Then what? we would have a legitimate excuse to sink to any lows? Get relegated maybe?

I'm afraid I'm not following your logic, my friends.
I'm afriard if you think that losing Alonso is the only problem we've had all season you must be slightly off

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
If some ppl think that every team should be like Chelsea whereby a new coach comes in and everybody's settled and are playing like champions, just because its plain and simple as giving your best out there and the results will follow after that, then I have nothing else to say.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
SM ONLINE said:
I'm afriard if you think that losing Alonso is the only problem we've had all season you must be slightly off
he's not the only but by far the biggest problem as far as i'm concern. i'm just trying to understand how the long term absence of Cisse and Kewell might justify a place below 6th? Yes it fewers our options, just as absence of FSP does, but except for Xabi we have all of our first XI healthy and ready for action. Maybe we have slightly more absentees than our rivals do, but to suggest that with the available players we have a little or no chance to finish above 7th place? This is what I do not understand. I can see those injuries hurting us in a battle for the 4th spot but to drop below 6th??? I just don't see it this way.

·
Registered
302 Posts
zico said:
he's not the only but by far the biggest problem as far as i'm concern. i'm just trying to understand how the long term absence of Cisse and Kewell might justify a place below 6th? Yes it fewers our options, just as absence of FSP does, but except for Xabi we have all of our first XI healthy and ready for action. Maybe we have slightly more absentees than our rivals do, but to suggest that with the available players we have a little or no chance to finish above 7th place? This is what I do not understand. I can see those injuries hurting us in a battle for the 4th spot but to drop below 6th??? I just don't see it this way.
I want some of whatever you're on, mate. The following players have missed or will miss a signifigant number of games:

Baros, Cisse, Kewell, Gerrard, Alonso, Finnan, Kirkland. Thats 7 of our best starting 11. We've by far had the worst injury luck of any club in the premiership, and likely Europe as well.

·
International
1,878 Posts
I am adopting a wait-and-see attitude with regards to Rafa's performance at Liverpool. So far, I can say that:

(a) He has done well in terms of his dealings in the transfer market.
(b) The team he manages does not aim to play Houllierball.
(c) I have not gotten any bad vibes so far with regards to him, as compared to how I felt about Houllier a few months into his manager role.

Back to the topic, Chel$ki will be going all out to win this trophy, even if it is a mickey mouse one. It will be a boost to Mourinho's performance if his charges were to win the first trophy for Mr. Russian Moneybags.

Seriously, unless Rafa conjures up a miracle from our injury-ravaged squad, it will be hard to see how we can create an upset. Unfortunately, this will not be a pleasant season for us.

On another note, our first signing after this transfer window will be to get a new physio.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
I wish you luck and prefer you to win. But personally I doubt it'll happen.

Well, good luck anyway.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
zico said:
Most of our first team has had some time out this year. Long term absantees like Cisse, Kewell, Kirkland, Alonso are all first teamers.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts