Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another year, another quarter final appearance for the Rossoneri. Ancelotti keeps up his 100% strike rate of getting Milan to the quarter-finals of this competition as a minimum. Ever since he began his first full season at the San Siro in 2002/03, we have been the best team in the Champions League.

Let's take a look at how many times each team has progressed to each stage of the knockout rounds, from the quarter finals onwards.

Winners

1 - AC Milan
1 - Porto
1 - Liverpool

Finals

2 - AC Milan
-----------------
1 - Juventus
1 - Porto
1 - Monaco
1 - Liverpool

Semi Finals

2 - AC Milan
2 - Chelsea
-----------------
1 - Juventus
1 - Inter Milan
1 - Real Madrid
1 - Porto
1 - Monaco
1 - Deportivo
1 - Liverpool
1 - PSV

Quarter Finals

4 - AC Milan
-----------------
3 - Juventus
3 - Barcelona
2 - Real Madrid
2 - Inter Milan *
2 - Lyon
2 - Arsenal
2 - Chelsea
1 - Ajax *
1 - Manchester Utd
1 - Valencia
1 - Porto
1 - Deportivo
1 - Monaco
1 - Liverpool
1 - Bayern Munich
1 - PSV
1 - Villareal
1 - Benfica

Pass me some of that DNA please.

;)

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
WOW!!!

We are the best in europe!!! :proud: :proud:

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If we manage to win this season European Cup, there will be no doubt in my mind that this team will go down as of our greatest of all time.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
The Shev said:
If we manage to win this season European Cup, there will be no doubt in my mind that this team will go down as of our greatest of all time.
I don't know about that :) but it will go down as a great side in any event. :thumbsup: :proud:

·
Scudetto
23,364 Posts
yeah. I think in order to be the best of all time, the current generation must be consistently good in the league as well.

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
The consistency of Carletto's Milan in Europe is good. However we should not forget that Manchester United made 8 or so straight QF appearances with only 1 appearance in the final and 2 semi-finals only.
They won it once and that was that. I think that is under-achieving.

I think Bayern has 6 QF appearances in the last 9 seasons as well with two final appearances (1 win) and 3 semis or so. You can instantly see the jump in the standard when comparing Bayern and Utd. and the only difference is that Bayern is a 4 time European Champion and an elite European club along with Real, Milan, Liverpool and Ajax.

I think reaching the QF is good but for a club with Milan's history and tradition in Europe, we have to have a higher standard. It doesn't have anything with being selfish but it is just the mere fact that the standards are much higher.

So far we already have two finals and 1 win to our name in Carlo's reign which is pretty good. I hope we can continue to improve and maintain this fine tradition in Europe that we have. :proud:

·
Registered
12,028 Posts
Haroon said:
The consistency of Carletto's Milan in Europe is good. However we should not forget that Manchester United made 8 or so straight QF appearances with only 1 appearance in the final and 2 semi-finals only.

I think Bayern has 6 QF appearances in the last 9 seasons as well with two final appearances (1 win) and 3 semis or so. You can instantly see the jump in the standard when comparing Bayern and Utd. and the only difference is that Bayern is a 4 time European Champion and an elite European club along with Real, Milan, Liverpool and Ajax.

I think reaching the QF is good but for a club with Milan's history and tradition in Europe, we have to have a higher standard. It doesn't have anything with being selfish but it is just the mere fact that the standards are much higher.

So far we already have two finals and 1 win to our name in Carlo's reign which is pretty good. I hope we can continue to improve and maintain this fine tradition in Europe that we have. :proud:

those are probably the nicest words that have ever come out of your mouth! (keyboard I guess)

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bandiera said:
I don't know about that :) but it will go down as a great side in any event. :thumbsup: :proud:
I accidentally for to write the word "one". The sentence should have been "If we manage to win this season European Cup, there will be no doubt in my mind that this team will go down as one of our greatest of all time."

Which is more befitting. ;)

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haroon said:

While I am not saying that this little streak has been record-breaking or out of this world, especially given that a team like Manchester Utd made 9 straight appearances, I am more pointed out the fact that compared with every other team in the last 4 years, we have been the best.

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
The Shev said:
While I am not saying that this little streak has been record-breaking or out of this world, especially given that a team like Manchester Utd made 9 straight appearances, I am more pointed out the fact that compared with every other team in the last 4 years, we have been the best.
We've been the best for the last 20 years Steve. :) Not the last 4 years.

- 4 times European Champions.

- 7 European finals.

- 4 appearances in the UCL final. Only Juve has 4 appearances.

- Only side in European football history to bounce back from a defeat in the final the following year by winning it i.e. 93 loss and then 94 win.

- Only side to score 4 goals on three different occasions in a European final.

Untouchable record. Best for the last 20. :star: This is the 20th year of Silvio Berlusconi's ownership of A.C. Milan. It will be really tough to reach Paris. Really tough but if we make it ....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts