Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Semb, A man with no principles

I think its ironic and laughable how Semb suddenly has principles when it comes to the national team. I mean this is the same man that has continously been choosing players that havent proved a jack sh!t while playing for their clubs.

Steffen Iversen being the biggest example, when was the last time Steffen Iversen had a good match for his club? Has he played a single good match in the whole season for Wolverhampton so far this year? IMO he has had ONE decent match, and the others I've seen he has been lousy, likewise as his team, but thats not the ponit here, the point is that Semb could have chosen another player then Iversen for the last couple of matches, a player that could have a done a better job but he didnt. But still players like Iversen are not only chosen for the squad, they are also put in the first team. He almost never gives new players chances, and never kicks out a player from the squad, unless the media tells him to. How long did it take for him to kick Tore Andre Flo out of the team, when Flo was underperforming like hell?

And when players underperform in the national team matches, he is always thinking of excuses, he doesnt wanna realise that several of his key players underperformed against both Denmark, Romania and Bosnia, because of the way he asks them to play. No, he is talking about how he is dissapointed that Solskjær couldnt make it as a right winger (or was that a right wingback?), or how Carew was lousy (when you are left totally alone on top, you are going to be lousy).

The first thing he did when Norway was knocked out of Euro 2000, was to think of excuses. This is a man with no principles, but now when Carew acts like an as$hole, he suddenly has some? Semb you are laughable. The only reason you included Stensaas in to the squad is because the news papers told you so, and that says all about you and your principles.

Carew, lives in his own little world

When John Carew was literaly fired by Valencia, the first thing he and his firend Flod did was to act surprised. What the hell was that all about? Wake up and smell the horse sh!t, Carew has been lousy in the two last seasons at Valencia. Yeah, so he did score two against Arsenal to put Valencia through in the CL, but so what? Where was he in the Inter matches? He was hiding away when Valencia needed him the most. And thats not all, during the season in Spain he scored 8 goals in 32 matches, you just dont get away with stats like that when you play for a big club, you are not playing for Vålerenga anymore Carew.

Furthermore, he scored one goal in 15 matches when Valencia won the leauge, he was not a key player in that season, he did not bring them the trophy. And he scored 20 leauge goals in three seasons at Valencia, then he and his agent got the nerves to act surprised when Carew gets fired? Bwahaha, thats just hilarious.

And to top it all, he underperformed agaisnt both Romania and Bosnia, if he had some dignity in him, he wouldve admitted to the ref, that he and not Chivu touched the ball with his hands against Romania, becuase of that we will have to see Semb as a manager for another couple of matches, if Norway beats Luxembourg that is. Wich isnt for sure neither, because with Semb you never know, according to him Armenia is a force to be reckoned with in Europe.

To sum it all up, both Carew and Semb are pathetic, both needs to wake up and smell the horse sh!t, and realise that none of them have been good for Norway in the last matches (Semb for the last year or so), Norway can do very well without both of them.

·
Registered
16,376 Posts
Let's call it "the Semb case" and "the Carew case". Those two are very different from eachother, and should not be mixed together.

The Semb case
Nils Johan Semb. At one time, a mediocre U21 national team boss, with little coaching experience from club teams. Why they appointed him as the U21 coach is something to put a question to, why they appointed him national team coach is clear. He was there to continue what Drillo had done from before. Drillo although criticized by many here at Xtratime, and many in football europe, yes, even in Norway, is still by many, including me, seen as a man with great football knowledge. A good coach with original ideas. A strange man at times, but he knows how to get the job done.

Semb took over a team with experience, both in playing together, but also in winning. Despite a few bumps along the road, we easily made it to Euro 2000. Norwegian football lovers had sensed that something was different though, and the tournament itself, although we were unlucky proved it. Norway was playing bad football, not boring football, but bad football. That is something no one wants to see. We never played like that under Drillo's regime.

The qualification matches for the World Cup in 2002, was a huge disappointment. Every single one of them ended in deep disappointment. Semb should have taken his hat and left. He never did though, and honestly speaking, we finally saw the old Norway, in the match against Denmark at Ullevaal, at the very start of the qualification for Euro 2004. The match away to Romania was not all bad either, although the match was marked by the bad surface.

Since then though, everything has gone bad, not a single match has been better than what we showed in the WC qualification, perhaps with the exception of the friendly against a poor Scotland at Ullevaal.

If we qualify for Euro 2004, I will be glad, but I am also happy knowing that Semb will leave soon. I am so tired of hearing him say how unlucky we were, after a disgraceful loss.

All this still does not make him a terrible person, just not a very good coach, and way too stubborn human.

The Carew case

Dracula explained it well in the last post, Carew has not been the great success, he tries to lead us to believe. Every year, he gets more posh and arrogant, and even if I know that he is a good kid at heart, he should really try to be more humble.

He is all to blame for the latest incident. Possibly together with his advisor.

He assaults another national team member physically, hitting him numerous times. Later in the day, when the other players discuss the case, he opens the door, and tells them to finish soon, because he wants to go party with some friends. They send him packing, and he leaves for Rome. After this, he doesn't reply to Semb or anyone from NFF, even if they call him several times every day. However, he has no problem talking to the newspapers about what a bad person Semb is.

Basically, I agree with Drillo about this. Carew has stepped over the line, and does not deserve to play for Norway, until he apologizes publically to Semb, and the Norwegian people.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah these are two different cases, therefore I created a seperate issue for both of them, but I didnt want to create two threads, and there is some connection between both issues.

I do agree that Semb did a good job while leading Norway to the Euro 2000, but at that competition he clearly showed that he had no clue whatsoever, how to convince the players to actually really fight for the team.

I think the most laughable aspect of this whole Semb quittin issue is that Omdal actually wants him to continue, and I dont understand why he'd want that. Semb has been picking players on their name and relation with him for years, while there were more in form players out there that could have done a better job, and thats what annoys me the most with Semb.

Btw I dont know Semb as a person, therefore I cant say anything about him as a person, but when it comes to the national team, he IMO doesnt have any principles.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Carew has really f*cked up now, beating up a teammate and then acting in a obnoxious manner... it doesn't get much worse, he should definetely stay away from the NT if he doesn't make things right. Unfortunately I don't think he's going to make things right as that would require a lot of effort, but he doesn't seem interested in making any effort at all.

I'm a somewhat shocked that Carew is behaving like this now. Now that things are going pretty good for him he at his new club he starts acting like a idiot, sooner or later he will need the NT and he might have burned his bridges then. He has truly deserved it if if comes to that.

From a pure practical view this isn't too bad, as Carew hasn't been sensational for the NT, we can to some degree replace him. Yet, it's just incredibly sad... :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts