Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guy could play! I just saw the Brazil-France match in 1986 WC & Careca was pretty much doing everything. He could dribble, was very fast, put in brilliant crosses & could score too. Looked like a Brazilian version of Francesco Totti to me.

It's a pity not many people discuss him.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
He is not remembered because he didn't win with Brazil, in 86 he was over shadowed by Socrates and Zico, he was the leader in 90 but that was the worst world cup for Brazil in decades, you can blame Maradona for that.

On the club level; he played for Napoli, and when people talk about Napoli they mention Maradona then they stop, now not many people know that Careca played for Napoli.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He is not remembered because he didn't win with Brazil, in 86 he was over shadowed by Socrates and Zico, he was the leader in 90 but that was the worst world cup for Brazil in decades, you can blame Maradona for that.

On the club level; he played for Napoli, and when people talk about Napoli they mention Maradona then they stop, now not many people know that Careca played for Napoli.

Was he? I thought he was the player for Brazil in that tournament.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
he was Brazil's top scorer, with 5 goals. But Zico and Socrates were better players and leaders.
This is only my own opinion but I think most Brazilians agree with me.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely Zico & Socrates were better players, but they were at their best in 1982 probably. In 1986 Careca was the man to watch.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
he was the only reason Maradona succeeded at Napoli :D and even though I was fairly young when he left São Paulo I do remember him playing a lot.

Also he was part of a great Guarani side who won the Brasileiro in 78 playing against Pigs in the final and he was just 17 :) no wonder São Paulo had to sign him later on :proud:

[tub]Tfu3mdoxKeU[/tub]

·
1st Tier Poster
49,994 Posts
it is amazing how clueless the defenders in Brazilian clubs are...pretty much every video I see of Brazilian league is all about greatness of the attackers who face a bunch of clowns earning their money as professional defenders

·
Registered
46,338 Posts
The guy could play! I just saw the Brazil-France match in 1986 WC & Careca was pretty much doing everything. He could dribble, was very fast, put in brilliant crosses & could score too. Looked like a Brazilian version of Francesco Totti to me.
Fast, dribble and Totti in the same sentence...mmmm

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's why when you want to come up with an all-time Brazilian team, you have to search for Centre-backs, whereas in other positions you have plenty of players. Brazil have produced quality fullbacks though.
Actually fullbacks have the opprotunity to overlap & attack & that's why Brazil have had quality ones. CBs on the other hand, have to sit back & defend mostly. I guess in Brazil none wants to do that.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
it is amazing how clueless the defenders in Brazilian clubs are...pretty much every video I see of Brazilian league is all about greatness of the attackers who face a bunch of clowns earning their money as professional defenders
yes in italy they gave him such a hard time... but you got to give its much easier to look professional facing the likes of Borrielo and Amauri.

[tub]dCWUg0wQjEc[/tub]

look at the second goal in the first video and then watch the two goals he scored on Milan :howler: nice defending ;) also nice goal against Inters solid defense.

·
Administrator
52,980 Posts
Hehehe, that goal against Inter in minute 3 is total ownage :)

·
fawkin legend
4,943 Posts
it is amazing how clueless the defenders in Italian clubs are...pretty much every video I have seen of [email protected] or currently [email protected] is all about humiliating a bunch of clowns earning their money as professional Serie A defenders.

PS: Funny the best defending players in your league are not Italian, they are called Maicon etc.

NWO biatch

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
GO ENJOY YOURSELF STYGMATA! WHAT KIND OF SHIT IS THAT?

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
he was Brazil's top scorer, with 5 goals. But Zico and Socrates were better players and leaders.
This is only my own opinion but I think most Brazilians agree with me.

Zico was more famous and reputable but Careca was better in 86. Same with Socrates and most of the other 82 gang. Had Careca been around in 82 that Brazil team would not have lost a game.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
it is amazing how clueless the defenders in Italian clubs are...pretty much every video I have seen of [email protected] or currently [email protected] is all about humiliating a bunch of clowns earning their money as professional Serie A defenders.

Exactly. Every video clip on Youtube makes the defense look like clowns. ITs called an attacking highlight clip. We could easily make a Maldini or Baresi clip that would undeniably "prove" that all attackers in Serie A were clowns and hapless fools.

·
Administrator
30,813 Posts
Zico was more famous and reputable but Careca was better in 86. Same with Socrates and most of the other 82 gang. Had Careca been around in 82 that Brazil team would not have lost a game.
There was a better centerfoward in 82 named Reinaldo that didnt went for God know why,even after Careca was cut because and injury. (We had better goalkeepers as well) But I think the problem of that game was the tatical characteristic of both teams, much favorable to Italy, so even if Careca was there, I think the result could still remain the same (and as a great game, even with those 11 players, the result could be any).

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
Is he the guy that some Brazilians blame for the loss vs Italy in 82? Or am i mistaken, didn't he misplace a pass that led to Italy going the other way and scoring?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts