Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Banned
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If Cardiff win the FA Cup they will not be allowed to enter the UEFA Cup.

A Welsh team are not allowed to be one of Englands co-efficents in the draw for the UEFA Cup.

So if they win then the runners up will take their place in the UEFA.

So if Cardiff were to ever win the Premier League, Does this mean that they could not enter the Champions League???

Quite harsh to be honest.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Also, I think that even if they win the FA Cup, lower division teams can't enter the UEFA Cup.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Another reason to just have a Britain conglomerate.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Not really, if Cardiff want to play in Europe then they can paricipate in the Welsh football system, which does have UEFA Cup qualifiers. Their motives for playing in England are financial, they have the choice to move.

·
Third Place winner, January 2009 Photo Contest
4,100 Posts
This isn't UEFA's decision, by the way, it's the English FA's.

There is no ruling however from Uefa preventing Cardiff from representing English football in Europe, as there are examples outside of Britain where this exact situation takes place – a Monaco side in France for instance, or even Lichtenstein representing Switzerland in Europe. As it stands, the English are having none of it.

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
I was reading that Cardiff are represented by the FA of Wales even though they play in the English league system, yet Cardiff, along with Swansea, Wrexham, Newport County, Merthyr Tydfil, and Colwyn Bay are not allowed to enter the Welsh Cup (which would grant them a UEFA Cup spot if they won) because of their English league participation, so these teams are effectively squeezed out of Europe.

My understanding though is that it is ultimately up to the national associations to submit their entrants for European competition, so could either the English or Welsh FA make a place for Cardiff were they to win the cup (or come runners-up and have Pompey finish 6th)? It would probably have to be at the place of a team that a) would qualify via the Welsh Cup b) would qualify for UEFA competition due to league placement in the EPL, and I can't see many people buying that.

Still, it seems silly due to the bureaucracy of it all, but if Cardiff win the FA Cup then they should be in the UEFA Cup.

On a side note, Cardiff have actually won the FA Cup before, but it was in 1927, before European competition and thus there is no precedent I can think of.

This is different ghostworld, Monaco do not have a national team and FC Vaduz will never qualify for Europe.
More to the point, Monaco do not even have a national association, at least one recognized by FIFA. FC Vaduz actually always qualify for Europe, but as representatives of Liechtenstein because they always win the Liechtenstein Cup, which gives them a UEFA Cup place. But through the Swiss leagues, I suppose its a long shot.

·
0-1, Huth.
6,070 Posts
Why don't they just win the Welsh Cup which gives them a spot in UEFA Cup. But instead they devalue it and send their kids in that competition.

They could qualify for Europe EVERY season. Even though it would be short lived.

·
0-1, Huth.
6,070 Posts
naervod, I'm sure I read somewhere that Cardiff can indeed enter the Welsh Cup.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Why don't they just win the Welsh Cup which gives them a spot in UEFA Cup. But instead they devalue it and send their kids in that competition.

They could qualify for Europe EVERY season. Even though it would be short lived.

didn't the welsh fa exclude them from playing in their competitions due to their comitments to england?

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I think it is only rightfully that they cannot go into Europe. They choose to play in England, well they know the consequences... They are one of only a handful of teams who play in a league outside of their own country, and you cannot compare this to Monaco, Vaduz or Derry because those teams had no other choice (Monaco and Liechtenstein don't have an UEFA-sanctioned league, while Derry was no longer welcome in Northern Ireland). Cardiff, unlike those other exceptions, have a choice to play in Wales yet reject it due to financial reasons. Well, that's their choice, but they know what the consequences are. IMO it is justified that they cannot represent England in Europe.

That said, a UK league would be more honest. It's not like other FIFA members have the privilege of having multiple NTs and leagues, imagine the chaos if every US state had its own league and national team. It may be tradition that every British state has its own league, but it ain't exactly fair...

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
This makes no sense. If they play in the English league system, then they enter the UEFA Cup as an English team and win coefficients for England.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
But this is like rewarding a team that finds itself too good for the league of their own country. A team whose fans burn English fans and often speak Welsh to emphasise their hatred of England. And this team should be classified as English?! If they want to play in Europe that badly, they just have to go to the League of Wales. If they find themselves too good to play in that league, well then they should not be going into Europe: they are a Welsh team and they refuse to play football in Wales ... Like I said, this is different from the likes of Derry, Monaco or Vaduz who have no other options than a foreign country's league.

·
0-1, Huth.
6,070 Posts
didn't the welsh fa exclude them from playing in their competitions due to their comitments to england?
You are absolutely right, they did indeed.

The Bluebirds come under the jurisdiction of the FA of Wales, even though they choose to play in FA competitions.

This leaves them in limbo as neither association can nominate them for Europe - the FA because Cardiff are Welsh and the FAW because they do not play in their competitions.

As things currently stand if Cardiff wished to qualify for UEFA Cup in future seasons they would have to withdraw from English domestic cup competition and enter into the Welsh Cup.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Cardiff just need to make up their minds. If they want to qualify for Europe, they just have to accept they're Welsh and play in the League of Wales. You cannot blame the FAW and English FA for their decisions just because Cardiff now has a succesful cup run. I would even recommend the FAW not to allow them into the Cup of Wales, if they feel too good for the league of Wales they should be consequent and not use the Cup of Wales as an easy ride into Europe.

By the way, apart from Monaco and Derry City and Vaduz, did any other cross-border team ever play in Europe? There are more cross-border teams such as San Marino having 1 team in the Serie C and Andorra having 1 team in the Spanish lower leagues, that one San Marinese club even has one team in the local league and one team in the Italian league (the only club in the world to play in two countries' leagues at the same time??)

1 - 20 of 112 Posts