Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.juventus.com/uk/news/detail.aspx?lml_language_id=0&trs_id=1366000&ID=3617

We missed too much, especially during first half: as soon as we had the ball, we gave it away to Milan and doing so we wasted the chance of taking advantage from counter attacks. It wasn’t only a few players, it was everybody, just everybody, that made even the easiest passes wrong. Evidently there was a lot of pressure."
Fabio Capello, after the draw with A.C.Milan, analyzes close to astonishment the attitude of Juventus approaching the game. Attitude that left the Bianconeri’s manager deeply unsatisfied: "No, I’m not satisfied for how we played. I am, though, for the result. Even referring to my players, during halftime, I said that still being 0-0, after all those errors, it was to be considered lucky, even though Milan didn’t create great dangers to Buffon. In the second half things improved slightly, but we didn’t play as we used to do."
The Bianconeri’s not brilliant performance, according to Capello, can’t be blamed on a loss of athletic shape: "It’s not really a physical problem; as I said there was a lot of pressure. A little tiredness is part of the game considering that, because of Champions Leagues preliminary round, we started the season much earlier. We have to say, however, that we played a team like Milan, that is currently in top condition; for this reason I’m happy with the result and convinced that the firm trust in our means turned out reinforced after this match.!".

for me ...what the man is saying is true ! ,, the yesterday game was big mess !! were was the damn MID`s !!!

i think milan should won the past game ... :broken:

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Yes- obviously Capello cannot be faulted that most every Juventus player gave the ball away as soon as we got it. Not even the (partly Capello induced) fatigue can explain the number of amateurish mistakes we made last night.

All we can do is be happy that our sloppiness wasn't punished. Milan lost two points yesterday and we gained one all things considered. A sad conclusion, but an obvious one.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Yes- obviously Capello cannot be faulted that most every Juventus player gave the ball away as soon as we got it. Not even the (partly Capello induced) fatigue can explain the number of amateurish mistakes we made last night.
I partially agree. But Juventus' lack of creativity on the midfield is no breaking news, and Capello has his part in it. He let Maresca leave. With Blasi and Emerson, the quality of passing is terrible. Emerson had a good game yesterday in the defensive department, which is his main job, but he missed like 80% of his passes. I spent a good time trying to figure out how some people cannot see that Emo's passing skills are simply atrocious.

Another point is, Capello's team always have a good start and then they start to fall. Just look at history. I don't know if it's something fitness related, but it is a fact. You shouldn't be very confident about the future....

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
funny that Juve seemed to play the game with such little belief , it's like the players believed Milan are a better side.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
I've gone on about Maresca leaving and our central midfield being too defensive too often to not agree on that account.

It still doesn't change that the number of technical mistakes last night was unlike anything we've done so far this season, and it's not something that only reflect on the players abilities of lack of such. It was a collective off day- aside from the central defence of course/thank god.

I disagree about Emerson though. Whereas he did not play a good game by his standarts, he was, in my view, the least culpable of our midfielders in terms of giving the ball away.

Lastly- I don't know if getting rid of Maresca was Capello's or Moggi's decision. I suspect money was a driving factor and that Moggi therefore had a big say. Whether Capello would have played him is something else, and I fear that he wouldn't have.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
funny that Juve seemed to play the game with such little belief , it's like the players believed Milan are a better side.
Intelligent players then :thmbup: :D

Of course Capello is to blame Glen, silly to say otherwise, he is responsible for the way you play. But I agree that he may have got what he wanted in this match, but would I be him I would be really worried about how serie A look to currently progress...

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
JKris said:
Of course Capello is to blame Glen, silly to say otherwise, he is responsible for the way you play.
Overall there are several issues where I think Capello could do more/better. On the other hand our solidity which won a poor Juve a point against a very strong Milan is also down to him.

My point here was that whereas I agree the coach always has some responsibility, he certainly didn't make a tactic that said "give away posesssion whenever you can". Our PLAYERS invented that part themselves and carried it out "to perfection" for 90 minutes.
Even if we hadn't made all these mistakes we might well have been second best yesterday, but it surely would not have looked as atrocious as it did.
Hinting to Capello being responsible for our errant passing is as close to home as saying that Ancelotti is responsible for Sheva not finding himself in a one on one situation with Buffon at any point yesterday.

That Ancelotti had your men better prepared than Capello did ours is something else and that would be impossible to disagree on :).

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Glen said:
It still doesn't change that the number of technical mistakes last night was unlike anything we've done so far this season, and it's not something that only reflect on the players abilities of lack of such. It was a collective off day- aside from the central defence of course/thank god.

I disagree about Emerson though. Whereas he did not play a good game by his standarts, he was, in my view, the least culpable of our midfielders in terms of giving the ball away.
Hmm....okay, Juventus missed a lot yesterday, maybe more than they missed in the entire season....but before claiming it was an atypical game, you should consider it was against tougher opposition than before. So maybe you should reflect about Juventus not being good enough to face quality teams. Beating Siena, Atalanta, even my Lazio, does not prove offensive qualities. But beating Milan's defensive system does.

About Emerson, he was terrible in his passing yesterday, like he is most of the time. Just watch the game again and try to notice. If I have time, I'll watch it and count how many balls he gave to the opposition. Maybe not more than Blasi and Zebina, but certainly more than any other player on the team.

Lastly- I don't know if getting rid of Maresca was Capello's or Moggi's decision. I suspect money was a driving factor and that Moggi therefore had a big say. Whether Capello would have played him is something else, and I fear that he wouldn't have.
Money?? Come on man, Maresca's value certainly did not make Juvi any richer. If Capello said he needed him, of course he wouldn't leave. Maybe he didn't tell Moggi to get rid of him, but of course he also didn't make any effort to keep Maresca.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Glen said:
My point here was that whereas I agree the coach always has some responsibility, he certainly didn't make a tactic that said "give away posesssion whenever you can". Our PLAYERS invented that part themselves and carried it out "to perfection" for 90 minutes.
But many of your missed passes was due to 1. You being pressured well; and 2. You having no offensive players to pass too and the few you had (often only Zlatan) was wellmarked.

Who is responsible for things being that way? I am not saying it is all his fault, but you surerly could have tried a little more with playing a bit different.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Roberto Gallo said:
Hmm....okay, Juventus missed a lot yesterday, maybe more than they missed in the entire season....but before claiming it was an atypical game, you should consider it was against tougher opposition than before. So maybe you should reflect about Juventus not being good enough to face quality teams. Beating Siena, Atalanta, even my Lazio, does not prove offensive qualities. But beating Milan's defensive system does.

Perhaps so.... but we did beat Bayern twice and played a much, much better game away to Inter than last night. Milan was ridiculed at Camp Nou, and I don't think that game reflected their real value either. So far Milan have drawn against Inter, Roma and us, lost one to Barca and won one at home (as laboured a win as ours against Bayern). It's too soon to make wholesale conclusions about the "level" of the teams.

Roberto Gallo said:
About Emerson, he was terrible in his passing yesterday, like he is most of the time. Just watch the game again and try to notice. If I have time, I'll watch it and count how many balls he gave to the opposition. Maybe not more than Blasi and Zebina, but certainly more than any other player on the team.

You watch the game again and report back here ;). I never said Emerson was great last night, but I maintain that he was certainly not one of the sloppiest players considering his passing.

Roberto Gallo said:
Money?? Come on man, Maresca's value certainly did not make Juvi any richer. If Capello said he needed him, of course he wouldn't leave. Maybe he didn't tell Moggi to get rid of him, but of course he also didn't make any effort to keep Maresca.
I have to agree that most of your argumentation appear solid on this one. But you need to remember also that we made a couple of late deals, and that last year was a very bad fiscal year for us. Despite impressing in the pre-season, Chiellini was sent to Fiorentina as well, even if we OBVIOUSLY lack a good coverplayer for Zambro. Those two deals, Chiellini and Maresca, paid for Zlatan's first instalment and Canna's signing on fee... almost to the dime. I wouldn't exclude that finances swayed the decision... but of course, had Maresca been made a priority as he should have been... then he would not have been allowed to leave.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
JKris said:
But many of your missed passes was due to 1. You being pressured well; and 2. You having no offensive players to pass too and the few you had (often only Zlatan) was wellmarked.
I praised your team last night for the way you harrassed us into many mistakes, and that frustration and uncertainty obviously also had an impact in terms of making us miss so many simply passes where we weren't under pressure. Of course.
But the part about having no offensive players to pass to... that was obviously not the gameplan! It was how the match went as you put us under pressure, and we wasted 75% of our passes. Whe you don't hit one another you lose possession and you can't put the opposition under pressure. Had we been passing the ball around better, we would obviously have had more players to pass the ball to, as Milan would be stretched out more. It's a given, and it's all an egg/hen thing.

JKris said:
Who is responsible for things being that way? I am not saying it is all his fault, but you surerly could have tried a little more with playing a bit different.
Capello obviously has to share the blame, but whatever mistakes he made in preparing the team were clearly aggravated intensely by the awful number of individual mistakes.

As far as his coaching goes, he DID take out DP at half time which improved things a bit, and he also took out Blasi when he was tired, and Tacchi came on which limited the number of mistakes some.

Personally I think we suffered too much in midfield and I would have preferred for Kapo to replace DP so that we could have gotten a midfield superiority situation going to relieve some of the pressure on us, broaden out the play and actually play our way into the game, but Capello must have hoped that the two strong guys up front could have pulled a rabbit out of the hat as they have before.
I usually bash coaches when I see them do weird things, and unlike Lippi's occational flashes of lunacy wanting to re-invent someone or suddenly fields a player out of positions to "surprise" opponents in big games, Capello did nothing of the sort. He was mostly let down by his players yesterday. I think that is obvious. The guys out there aren't robots, and he cannot do much when everyone decides to make rookie mistakes in numbers.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Perhaps so.... but we did beat Bayern twice and played a much, much better game away to Inter than last night. Milan was ridiculed at Camp Nou, and I don't think that game reflected their real value either. So far Milan have drawn against Inter, Roma and us, lost one to Barca and won one at home (as laboured a win as ours against Bayern). It's too soon to make wholesale conclusions about the "level" of the teams.
I didn't affirm that Juvi played a bad game yesterday because they lack the talent. I just said it's a thing to consider. When you faced a rock solid defensive system in a team that does not give the possession very easily, you suffered. Maybe because Juvi really lacks creativity and quality on the midfield to keep possession under pressure. It's just a possibility I put on the table. If Juvi played such a bad game, there is a reason for that; Capello blamed pressure, and I'm bringing another point to consider.

Bayern is a good team, but they do not have a style with rock-solid defense and possession when they have the ball. Even if they played defensively against Juvi, they gave the ball very easily, and that's the reason Juvi didn't suffer. Inter lacks defensive stability, and this makes the creativity you lack less needed....

·
Registered
295 Posts
Roberto Gallo said:
I partially agree. But Juventus' lack of creativity on the midfield is no breaking news, and Capello has his part in it. He let Maresca leave. With Blasi and Emerson, the quality of passing is terrible. Emerson had a good game yesterday in the defensive department, which is his main job, but he missed like 80% of his passes. I spent a good time trying to figure out how some people cannot see that Emo's passing skills are simply atrocious.

Another point is, Capello's team always have a good start and then they start to fall. Just look at history. I don't know if it's something fitness related, but it is a fact. You shouldn't be very confident about the future....
Emerson is one of the best passer around the world .. if u have some doubts see the last 21 games and u will understand my point.

He is one of the best (or may be the best) in the central role.

May be he missed some passes because of the pressure that milan made, which is not a shame (Zidane sometimes missed passes if Real madrid was in pressure).

atrocious :eek: may be u r talking about Zalayeta not Emerson :D .

i dont think that Emerson missed about 80% of his passes in milan game.

I dont know why people said that JUVE play a bad game (They wanted the draw and they got it).

Why thinking about the win when there is a risk of lose and u allready have 4 points advantage.

i Agree with u that we lack creativity ( comparing with other teams Barca, Milan, Chelsea .. Etc) .. Remember that we are a solid and hard working team not a creative team.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We are better than Juventus, says Gattuso

Juventus may have maintained their Serie A lead over second-placed Milan with this goalless draw, but a one-sided game confirmed that the reigning champions are Italy's form team as the year ends.

The Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti was "more than satisfied" with Saturday's outcome, despite his team failing to turn their dominance into three points. "We controlled the game from the first minute to the last," he said. "We didn't enjoy much luck with our finishing but I can't criticise any of my players."

The tough-tackling midfielder Gennaro Gattuso was more succinct: "We are clearly a better team than Juventus."

On a night of few real goal-scoring opportunities, Milan's Andriy Shevchenko hit the post with a low drive from 22 yards in the first half. In the final minute, the Ukrainian set up Andrea Pirlo with the best chance of the game, only for the unmarked Pirlo to side-foot wide from the edge of the penalty area. A below-par Juventus rarely threatened Dida's goal.

The Juve coach, Fabio Capello, will not be unduly worried. His team enjoys a four-point lead over Milan and the Christmas break - Serie A teams do not play again until 6 January - will give his tiring players time to recuperate. He was characteristically frank about his side's performance: "Juventus gave the ball away far too often. And I mean Juventus, not just one or two players. In the end it was happening so often that I stopped getting angry about it. Maybe there was too much tension before the game. Thank goodness for the holidays, we need to recharge our batteries."

Billed as the match of the season, the game was a big disappointment. With both teams closing down their opponents quickly, space was limited. Juventus took route one, pumping balls down the middle to Zlatan Ibrahimovic but the Swedish striker received little support from Alessandro Del Piero, who was again disappointing and replaced at half-time by the Uruguayan Marcelo Zalayeta.

The Manchester United manager, Sir Alex Ferguson, may take some comfort from the way Juventus kept the two Milan forwards, Shevchenko and Hernan Crespo, as well as the in-form Brazilian Kaka, away from the danger area. However, United will need to match the speed of Juve's central defenders Lilian Thuram and Fabio Cannavaro and the aggression of their defensive midfield shield Emerson, if they are to have any joy when they welcome Milan to Old Trafford in February's Champions' League encounter.

The draw allowed third-placed Udinese to close the gap on Milan to four points by beating Lazio 3-0 yesterday. However, the humble northern club's hopes of winning the scudetto are being taken about as seriously as Everton's chances of winning the Premiership. Serie A will remain a two-horse race until the end of the season.

Juventus (4-4-2): Buffon; Zebina, Thuram, Cannavaro, Zambrotta; Emerson, Camoranesi, Nedved, Blasi (Tacchinardi, 80); Del Piero (Zalayeta, h-t), Ibrahimovic. Substitutes not used: Chimenti (gk), Montero, Pessotto, Appiah, Kapo.

Milan (4-3-1-2): Dida; Cafu, Nesta, Costacurta, Kaladze (Pancaro, 62); Gattuso, Pirlo, Seedorf; Kaka; Crespo, Shevchenko. Substitutes not used: Abbiati (gk), Coloccini, Ambrosini, Dhorasoo, Rui Costa, Serginho.

Referee: P Bertini.

Man of the match: Cannavaro.

Attendance: 70,000.

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/european/story.jsp?story=594834

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Appiah should have played he is good at passing and shooting, he is also very quick and way stronger than Blasi! Emerson and Appiah is our best Central midfield combination and Tacchinardi as a sub. I dont think Blasi should be a starter.

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Glen said:
As far as his coaching goes, he DID take out DP at half time which improved things a bit, and he also took out Blasi when he was tired, and Tacchi came on which limited the number of mistakes some.
Many Juve fans blame him for fielding him as a starter in the first place.....

·
63,337 Posts
I think Del Piero leaving didn't help things that much, the main thing was Milan's level dropped a bit and they played too narrow football.

if Milan had have wanted they could have really done anything with Juve in the second half but they were too worried about becoming another 1-0 statistic on Juve's season.

·
63,337 Posts
polaris said:
I didnt notice Zalayeta out there until about the 80th minute. I thought he made little difference.
agreed , i would have brought Kapo on for a bit of speed and trickery, Juve do seem to have a very static bunch of forwards, i think a speedster like Anelka in the window could give them a great option.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
agreed , i would have brought Kapo on for a bit of speed and trickery, Juve do seem to have a very static bunch of forwards, i think a speedster like Anelka in the window could give them a great option.
Always dramt about Anelka.

And I'm not talking wet dreams here;).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts