Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Capello staying with Roma Tuesday 27 April, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roma have confirmed that Fabio Capello will remain with the club next season – even without star midfielder Emerson.

The tactician has been hotly linked with the Chelsea job but the Giallorossi insist that the tactician will stay in Rome.

"Capello will still be the Coach next season," sporting director Franco Baldini told the Corriere dello Sport newspaper.

"He is well aware of our plans for the future and he has given his consent to stay even without certain players at his disposal."

The club’s difficult financial situation will probably see some high profile departures in the summer but Baldini insists Roma will still be a force.

"We will remain a competitive team," he added. "We may decide to bring in some important youngsters who could take over from more famous players."

One big name heading for the exit is Emerson. His contract expires in 2005 and he doesn’t look set to sign a new deal.

Reports in Italy suggest that Juventus are really interested but Baldini has shut the door on a Turin switch.

"Everyone is well aware of Emerson’s situation but we have held talks with nobody about his sale," added the official.

"I think it would be very difficult to see us negotiate with Juventus though as they are a direct title rival of ours."

Speculation also suggests that Jonathan Zebina, who will be a free agent in the summer, is set to join Milan. "I don’t think that will happen," insisted Baldini.

He also seemed to confirm that John Carew would not remain once his season long loan from Valencia expires.

The sporting director concluded by commenting on the future of star man Francesco Totti.

"We have never received an offer for Totti," he said. "That’s because everyone already knows what our answer would be…"

channel4

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Excellent. I don't know how Roma achieved this, it's the best news romanistas could get.

I wonder what this announcement means, there must be consequences ... :)

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
If Lima is offered a new contract in the summer then this is bad news. Otherwise i have to say his loyalty to us over the past 5 seasons has been nothing short of commendable.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Yes Lima :)

I mean maybe there is some kind of plan ... involvin greater things that a continued existence :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts