Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look at this story from Bloomberg:

CANNAVARO TO JOIN JUVENTUS FROM PARMA NEXT SEASON

Milan (dpa) - Parma defender Fabio Cannavaro appears set to join powerhouse Juventus for the next season, the Gazzetta dello Sport daily reported on Monday.
Parma, who are currently struggling to avoid relegation, should
cash in 40 million euros (35.37 million dollars) for the Naples-born
international, who joined them in 1995 after three seasons with
Napoli.
``First I want to save myself (from relegation) with Parma, then
we'll see,'' Cannavaro said.
The deal reportedly was struck in early January during a visit of
Parma managers to the Juve headquarters in Turin.
Last summer Juve snatched national team goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon and international defender Lilian Thuram for 83 million dollars from Parma. (DPA) Jan/21/2002 10:55 GMT

---

This is unbelievable!!! Nesta was also linked before remember.

Montero may go to Real Madrid. Canna is still relatively young and Montero is getting old.

Bloomberg is not Football Italia. There is some credence in this I feel.

I HAVE A FEELING THAT JUVE WILL SPEND BIG NEXT SUMMER!!!!!

:D

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
I would rather keep Montero than get Canna.
Moreover- should Montero leave- I would rather pay 50% more and get Nesta instead.
Make no mistake about it- Canna is AWESOME and all that, but for us to buy a superdefender... it takes alot as Montero, Thuram and Tudor are all absolutely first rate, with Iuliano being VERY good, Ferrara proving amazing backup, Zanchi being a key defender at Veron, Gamberini proving a great talent at Bologna, and Troise going to Bologna on half share with Juve from next season. Nesta is just that.. ALOT.. as he's just the best there is for the position. Canna is a magic marker, but should we lose Montero- it's a sweeper we'll be short of.

Defence really isn't a major priority right now I feel.. save left back, where we need a long term solution over Pessotto, or at least adequate cover.

Finally- As good as the former Parma trio is/was- I feel it's slightly out there to get ALL of them.

Ciao.

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
I'm with Glen here !

Save those 40m$ and spend them for the players we really need !
Our defence, despite a slow start of the season, is becoming match after match really strong and solid !
With subs like Ferrara and Iuliano (who are very valuable backup options) the defence managed to conceed only 1 goal from our last 4 matchs... Quite impressive even if those teams are considered as "minnows"...
With the return of Montero -who has to be one of the world's best maestro in defence- and Tudor our defence will be even more reliable ! No need -except for the leftback since Pessotto is not at his best anymore- to splash that much to strenghten an already awesome defence !
I wouldn't be against the arrival of Canna or Nesta off course but there are more urgent matters to solve ! And I'm totally against the idea of selling Montero...

·
Registered
557 Posts
Considering how few goals we have let in lately, without Montero or Tudor playing, it seems odd too look at central defense as the area that needs fantasy figures investments.

Would Montero be sold I think we already have the resources needed in Ferrara, Iuliano, Thuram and Tudor plus the ones Glen names.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Is it just me thinking that someone in our management has a fetish for star defenders?

I wouldn't mind Cannavaro/Nesta in, really ... oh crap, it'd be lovely to have them in but there're better ways to waste money.

I don't think Moggi's anywhere in his dotage yet but I guess we'll hafta wait till end Jan or July to judge. I figure we'd better start conveying that we DON'T want that playmaker and left winger. Maybe that'll work ...

And while I'm pleased with the results, I don't want to entertain any complacency with thoughts that we're already there.

Not quite.

·
Star Player
4,328 Posts
I'm sure this would go down well with the Parma fans:mad:

I just read on Canalesport that Juve have a pre contract agreement with Bologna's Salvatore Fresi. He's no better than what we already have, and we're well covered in that department as it is.:confused:

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
True that Mikey, if you're saying in terms of central defenders. He is a great cover defender in case we don't take Zanchi back yet though. And another thing- he'll be available on a Bosman :).

I'm not saying we should get him- only that it certainly makes sense over buying another superstar we don't really need.

Ciao.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
oh yeah... moreover... (not saying this will happen or the rumour is really credible), notice how neatly it fits that we let Troise go to Bologna while taking Fresi from them...
Looks like a thought if you ask me.

It still doesn't solve our left back situation (we need a starter or a cover player) though, which at present is a more pressing issue than Chinq's suggestions in my opinion, as I suppose we can count on Lippi to maintain this succesfull system.
Other than that- Chinq: You know I agree with you in the ideal world :D .

Ciao.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Well Glen, they've probably foreseen that,

1. Fresi will have his best season off the bench
2. Troise needs just another year to shame Nesta et al

before we swap them again ... I am that confident in our management - in the ideal world of course ;)

You've got a point in the leftback eyesore. I am just thinking of things further upfield, for a potent winger + mediocre leftback to alleviate the offensive woes and relieve the defensive burden. A competent attacking leftback + mediocre winger would work too. Its probably too much to ask for a wholesale left flank revamp. Let's settle for less before asking for more eh? :howler:

·
Star Player
4,328 Posts
I don't want us to make the same 'mistakes' as last season with our transfers. Spending HUGE amounts on a goalkeeper and defender, while having the best defence in Serie A.

Other areas have been neglected, midfield especially. Left back continues to be problem. Pessotto doesn't do any thing wrong, it's just that he doesn't do anythinhg at all.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Imo, Cannavaro is not worth $45 million or whatever the hell they claim he is worth. He is past it and having the worst season of his career right now and will only get worst since he turns 30 next year. :dazed:

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
cannavaro is NOT relatively young...he is 29 this year...how can u say a 29 year old guy is still relatively young? :confused: of course he is still great but for 40m, i'd rather buy someone else if i were moggi...he is overpriced...although i don't think he has already past his peak but he is definitely overpriced...

speaking of fresi, i believe that we still own him...so how much juve paid for him?

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
I wont be really sad if we sell Cannavaro. Parma wont have anything close to a good team in the next 2-3 years but we should start building from next season and introducing a partnership of Bonera-Ferrari in central defence will be a damn good start. Our defence cant get any worse anyway.

On Toto Fresi: He has been having an AMAZING season at Bologna and he has easily been one of the top 5 defenders in Seria A. However, he is not someone who can play in a 4 man defence. He is a sweeper and only a sweeper. Take that for what its worth.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Why do people always talk about Nesta? He isn't gonna leave Lazio!!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Cannavaro - nice to have him but will then have surplus.. better svae the money and spend it on a midfielder.

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
IL TORO said:
Why do people always talk about Nesta? He isn't gonna leave Lazio!!!
Nothing is impossible today. Even if his name is Nesta and especially if the team is Lazio. If they don't get on of the first 4 position, they better sell, cuz there will be no money from CL.

I was going to say that Canna would be a good deal, but now I'm reading stuff about young and talented players for the defence, which is the better solution, I think. That's right - spend the money for a midfielder or a forward.

Bye Bye.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
There's alot more players we can sell before Crespo, he'll be the last to be sold if he get's sold at all.

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Toro,
You are not being objective here ! :) If Lazio don't finish in the top 4 they will have to sell for obvious economic reasons and it's pretty clear that Cragnotti will act in order to gain the maximum cash he can... And there's not 36 others ways to raise that amount of money but to sell Mendieta + Nesta or Crespo or both of them... Moreover with the WC those players' value is likely to be at their peak...

I can understand you wouldn't please such a move and Lazio selling their best player is beyond you...but that's the law in the modern football so you better reconsider your position. :)

Well think whatever you wanna think. :tongue:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts