Xtratime Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thursday 11 March, 2004

Fabio Cannavaro has hit back at his critics by insisting that injuries are behind his inconsistent form at Inter.

"I’ve been tormented by fitness problems," said the Italian international. "I accept the criticism thrown at me but I’m the first that expects more from myself."

The Napoli-born stopper has had his difficulties since his 2002 switch from Parma. That has led to rumours that a summer transfer may occur.

"I have real faith in this club," added the Azzurri captain. "After all, I have turned down numerous offers in the past to stay here."

Cannavaro has been linked with moves to Roma, Chelsea and Man Utd, but he is just focusing on ending this season in the best possible shape.

"We are not doing too well," admitted the 30-year-old. "We’ve lost our last four League games and that isn’t usual for a club like ours."

Inter obviously have problems all over the field but they do seem to be particularly weak at the back.

"We are conceding a lot of goals," he added. "But I don’t think it has anything to do with the 3-4-3 formation.

"That’s because I’m sure that the three man defence is the one that is most useful for the players we have at this club."

Inter are currently seventh in Serie A, four points behind Lazio who are currently in the final Champions’ League spot.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts