Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I like Materazzi, especially ever since the WC when he was basically a national hero in the World Cup for us, but we must begin to get real... he hasnt been that great this season, even if in the 06-07 season he was top class. Since his injury, he has got fitter again, but his form hasnt been the same. On the other hand we have Barzagli and Chiellini waiting in the wings. If Chiellini was any other nationality, he would have taken over Matrix in the pecking order by now, but Italians being stubborn [email protected]@rds, will keep him ahead of Chiellini. Indeed Giorgio is not even a garauntee to be in the squad :rolleyes: I think, considering the factors of the season and form, we now have to consider who is the right player to be with Cannavaro at CB. Of course we must also relate to the fact that more often than not Matrix has performed well for Italy in the last few years.

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
Chiellini is suited to be a LB imo, he runs a lot from that flank and assists some good balls, but IMO he would do better then Matrix ATM with the Azzurri.

Why did Nesta retire? He should've played the euros.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Despite the problems of Nesta retiring, indeed I still believe Chiellini, Barzagli or Materazzi is a nice choice to have, and our D has been reliable in the past year, whoever we have played.

·
Registered
32,681 Posts
Of course Matrix shouldn't start. He isn't top class, basically.

Chiellini or Barzagli I don't mind. Oddo could be pushed out and Zambro be used on the right back,.

·
Administrator
52,970 Posts
One of either Chiellini and Barzagli is a must, I was prepared to give Matrix leeway, but the comically abysmal performances has been too consistent. Its not off form, he is just this bad now.

It will mostly likely be Barzagli because he has gotten time to work together with Canna and the rest, Chiellini would be my choice, but his only chance of starting is to get to start in the friendlies to come before the euro, gel his way in.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
man at this moment it should in reality be gamberini chiellini

cannavaro has had 3 shockers ina row...i think the wheels have finaly come off ...hes the joke of real madrids defence

·
Registered
905 Posts
Zambrotta hasn't exactly shined either, but everyone lifts when they put a national strip on - you don't lose greatness overnight

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
man at this moment it should in reality be gamberini chiellini

cannavaro has had 3 shockers ina row...i think the wheels have finaly come off ...hes the joke of real madrids defence
I couldn't give a sh1t if Cannavaro scored 10 own goals in the last 10 matches for Real Madrid.

When he puts on an Italy shirt, he's absolute class and that won't change.

Zambrotta--Cannavaro--Barzagli--Grosso

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I couldn't give a sh1t if Cannavaro scored 10 own goals in the last 10 matches for Real Madrid.

When he puts on an Italy shirt, he's absolute class and that won't change.

Zambrotta--Cannavaro--Barzagli--Grosso
:thumbsup:

Thats the exact defense I'm hoping to see! I know a lot of people doubt Grosso because of his lack of pace but he holds his own in defence and in attack he is great, definitely our best attacking fullback IMO

And like you said, with Cannavaro, club form doesn't matter, when he puts on the Azzurri shirt he's automatically on top form and it seems to be the same way with Barzagli :proud:

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
ok. bad joke.
:)

on topic: barzagli for me, he impressed in last world cup.
adding to that: materazzi might cost us red cards & penalty's way too often.

·
Registered
17,197 Posts
It's essential we play Chiellini or Barzagli in the friendlies. I wasn't impressed by Barzagli against Spain, and Materazzi can be dominating, so I think we are being to quick to mention names as starters.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Cannavaro and... Chiellini of course. That shouldn't even be debated.

The real question should be who the 2 remaining spots go to. Materazzi definitely doesn't deserve it, but he'll get called for sure. So it's either between Barzagli and Gamberini for the last spot. Some say Barzagli hasn't been bad for the Azzurri, but he hasn't really played top opposition and not really tested. For Plaermo this season he has been horrible, at least the games I have seen, especially the 2 games versus Juve. Gamberini has been spectacular and deserves it. In fact, if it were only about merit, he and Chiellini should be the starting duo, but you can't displace the capitano like that.

Cannavaro---Chiellini
(Gamberini)---(Materazzi)

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You are right Craka... playing against France, Ukraine and Scotland definitely proves Barzagli hasnt been tested, let alone a WC last 16 and QF :pp

·
Registered
17,197 Posts
Let's not start this. HE HASN'T BEEN TESTED. It ends there. Cannavaro was superman defending whatever came through on his own. In all the games Barzagli was never isolated either way against a good forward.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts