·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BREAKING NEWS: Freak Accident Rules Canizares Out Of World Cup
News Archive

Gutted...Santiago Canizares (Reuters)
05/17/2002.

Spain's No. 1 Santiago Canizares has had his World Cup hopes dashed by an incredible slice of bad luck, as he injured himself by dropping an aftershave bottle, which shattered upon hitting his foot causing significant damage to a tendon.

The Valencia shotstopper was rushed from the Spanish training camp to a hospital in the Andalucian town of Xeres, were he underwent emergency surgery late on Friday night.

Real Madrid's Iker Casillas will readopt the No. 1 jersey from the luckless Casillas, while Malaga's Pedro Contreras will be called-up to make up Spain's third-choice behind Francisco Molina of Deportivo.

soccerage
-----------------------------
this is a pretty bad news... :( i was hoping to see him play for spain...

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
it is really a sad news...

Spain 'keeper Canizares out of World Cup after freak accident
JEREZ DE LA FRONTERA, Spain, May 17 (AFP)- Spain's first choice goalkeeper Santiago Canizares has been ruled out of the World Cup after a freak accident, team officials said here Friday.
Valencia keeper Canizares saw his World Cup hopes left in tatters after a bottle of aftershave dropped on his foot causing cuts and serious damage to a tendon.
The 32-year-old was taken to hospital for treatment after the accident at Spain's training camp in Jerez, where the squad is gathered before heading to the Far East.
The goalkeeper will be replaced by Malaga's Pedro Contreras, while Canizares' place in the starting line-up is now likely to be taken by Real Madrid's Iker Casillas.
"There's no satisfaction in profiting from the injury of a team-mate," said Casillas, who came on as a substitute in Wednesday's Champions League victory over Bayer Leverkusen and gave a superb display with several crucial saves in the final minutes.
The innjury is a bitter blow to Canizares, who was Spain's second choice goalkeeper at the last World Cup and who has only recently made the No.1 shirt his own.

·
Registered
29 Posts
And he'll probably never play in a world cup again. Real shame, because he's the best keeper in the world along with Kahn in my opinion.

How big a cologne bottle was this? It must have been huge to cause damage like that! :confused: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
518 Posts
it sounds really ridiculous to me, & I'm only concerned about his performance at club level next season.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts