Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to Diario Ole, Bielsa wants to put Caniggia as a starter against Nigeria, the first match, it depends on how his evolution evolves, if he's on good conditions, he'll be the starter and Ortega on the bench.

Bielsa is yet to decide who will be the starting CF, it is well known that under similar physical conditions Batistuta is prefered, but Crespo finished the year on better form than Batistuta...

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
If he recovers in time and he should I really like the idea of Cani starting against Nigeria. He is the type pf player that can create 3 or 4 clear goal scoring opportunities per match. He has great skill and technique and is still very fast. He'll cause plenty of problems for opposing defenders. If he starts, then Ortega will be relegated to the bench.

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
If he's planning to start Caniggia, then he's probably also planning to start Bati becuase Bati and Cani have played together many times and know each other's styles very well.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I would just like to thank your national coach Bielsa for not taking the same frame of mind some of the other top countries in the WC have taken by ignoring some players in Scotland that are good enough and deserve to play for there country on a regular basis.
Just because they play in one of the not so glamourus leagues in world football does not mean they should be overlooked.
I really hope Argentina win the WC and Bielsa gets his reward for picking Cani and not overlooking him like what many other countries would have done, just bacause he plays in Scotland.

·
Registered
892 Posts
CLAUDIO CANIGGIA will be fit for Argentina's crunch World Cup opener with Nigeria on June 2

Caniggia travels to Tokyo with the Argentina squad today knowing his place in the team for their first group game is guaranteed.

The striker's knee injury is progressing well and he will be in his trademark No.7 shirt against the Super Eagles after being given assurances by medics that he will attain full fitness in time.

It is a huge relief for coach Marcelo Bielsa to have his 35-year-old talisman available for one more attempt at world glory.

Caniggia began running yesterday at Argentina’s pre-World Cup base in Rome for the first time since the Scottish Cup Final, when he sustained knee ligament damage.

Argentina are favourites for the tournament and Caniggia, despite an international absence of six years after starring at Italia 90 and USA 94, is an integral part of their plans.

He received some intense treatment in Italy last week from Bologna team doctor Angelo Ziosi and then his national team medic Donato Villani.

The talented striker recognises his hopes of winning the World Cup lie in Japan and Korea as he will end his international career after the tournament.

Caniggia’s agent, Pablo Cosentino, told Rangers.co.uk: "Claudio is fine and will arrive in Tokyo later today with the rest of the Argentina squad.

"He is running now and the doctors have told him he will be fit to play against Nigeria on June 2, so he is delighted with that.

"He was a little worried about his injury at first but he has been training well and is preparing to leave Italy for the final preparations in Japan."

From, rangers.co.uk

S

·
0 Posts
if Caniggia is going to be a starter for Argentina, he would be the worst thing that could ever happen to Argentina.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Obviously you don't know too much, Cani is giving his all, he knows it's his last chance, he's busting his ass...his job is not to score but to make fast runs down the right flank and make good passes and crossess so others can score.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
SnakeEyez said:
if Caniggia is going to be a starter for Argentina, he would be the worst thing that could ever happen to Argentina.
Maybe you didnt see him against Wales and Cameron, otherwise you will not say that.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Caniggia was given a chance Saviola was not..Saviola only played 15 minutes...

I think that you will regret that you brought him but we will all see...

I think you will win the next world cup with the likes of D`allesandro,Collocino, Saviola, Cavenaghi,Riquelme, if they are old enough to play by then...

Cheers

:fero: :fero: :fero: :fero: :fero: :fero: :fero: :fero: :fero: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :fero: :confused: ::

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
J.Saviola said:

I think you will win the next world cup with the likes of D`allesandro,Collocino, Saviola, Cavenaghi,Riquelme, if they are old enough to play by then...

Cheers

:
Now that's the spirit.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I do not know why the Cani doubters keep bringing up the fact of Caniggia not scoring many goals. How many times do we have to tell you he is not playing as a stricker he is the team to do exactly whar SZeppelin just said.

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
Exactly right Eck. Cani was chosen because Bielsa felt he has the right qualities and the ability to understand what Bielsa wants done. Check the interview with Cani in the countdown to WC2002 thead. Cani says exactly the same thing. His job is to bring speed and constant movement to the right side of the pitch.

Cani: "Velocidad and un constante ida y vuelta sobre el costado derecho del campo... Se lo que quiere Bielsa de mi porque me lo dijo."

·
Registered
88 Posts
ECK, DCF, what did you think?

ECK RCF, what was your understanding of the Nigeria/Scotland game. How wpould you rate the Eagles on the basis of that performance?

The team was still a bit experimental, so i8t is difficult to draw too many conclusions from it but what was your assessment of the team?

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
The Argentine attacker Caniggia recovers very well of the injury in his knee and will arrive without disadvantages at the debut of the Argentine NT in the WC, against Nigeria.
Caniggia is running normally and the doctors have said to him that he will be in form to play against Nigeria.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Well ayoakinfe the Scotland/Nigeria game was for both sides to try differant things so Scotland never really had there best team either. Still though Nigeria played better in the second half really when Kanu got into the game. They looked good when the started to really get into the game and with kanu you could be challenging for 2nd place hopefully. But England think they are so good so they will dismiss your challenge, I can asure you though that most of Scotland will be cheering you on as with Argentina and Sweden.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We should all support the players that ARE going to the WC, no matter who it might be...

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
SZeppelin75 said:
Obviously you don't know too much, Cani is giving his all, he knows it's his last chance, he's busting his ass...his job is not to score but to make fast runs down the right flank and make good passes and crossess so others can score.
you are right stevie, but i still prefer ortega as a starter.

and maybe cani ´s speed is more productive in the last 25- 20 minutes, when the opponents are tired.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe you are right, Cani for the last 20-25 minutes---

1 - 19 of 19 Posts