Xtratime Community banner

Which of these two forwards should make our final WC squad ?

• Caniggia

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Saviola

Votes: 26 70.3%

Caniggia or Saviola ?

1K views 43 replies 17 participants last post by  SZeppelin75 
#1 · (Edited)
This poll has been requested by batistuta 2002 :)

If it came down to only one of these two players, who should Bielsa select for the WC?

#2 ·
if im not wrong there was alredy a poll about it. it would be better to bring back to life than starting another one.

btw, why dont take both. we should leave gustavo lopez out.

#5 ·
Saviola ia a great young player, very talented, and is playing the best football of his career, i wish there was a place for him in the squad, but, Caniggia is giving his all for the NT, he's making a great comeback, and i believe that hos experience in the WC will be needed in Korea/Japan, remembre he's a sub, so he won't be playing from ths start, unless Ortega gets injured or suspended, so if it jad to go to the wire for those twon, i think Bilesa would pick Caniggia, anyway Saviola will be there to hel us RETAIN the title in Germany 2006.

#6 ·
Oh pretty please, with ice cream and a cherry on top, take Saviola instead of Caniggia. Take both of them? No way, bring solari instead of Caniggia, if not him, some bloke in the street, anyone who isnt collecting their pension yet. Caniggia is the most overrated argentine player around. There is this misconception, particularly on these forums, that Caniggia's 'commitment' to the NT gives him a special right to be in the NT for wc2002. The opposition the NT has been faced with in the last 2 years - countless friendlies and corrupted puny south american teams - these teams pale in comparison to the teams they'll be up against in wc2002. Caniggia will suffer in Japan, he is no longer world class, the defences of France, Spain, Italy and England (yes, even england) will lock him down like a gimp.

And his club record? 4 goals in 22 games for Rangers? Give this man a cookie! Rangers and Celtic are monolithic in the SPL, scoring less than 5 goals a game is considered shameful.

Saviola meanwhile, 15 goals in 32 games, for Barcelona. The la liga is a fiercely competitive league, not to mention the Champions league, the toughest club competition in the world, in which Saviola scored last week. Too young? Thats what they said about Owen in wc1998.

There is no such thing as world cup experience. World cups are too short to gain any advantage for the next one in 4 years. In 4 years, many new players arise and tactics change vastly. You seriously think Caniggia will be able to apply anything from the matches he played long ago in 1990 and 1994? Its the last couple of years that count, and playing well against Partick Thistle and international friendlies does not count! :rolleyes:

BTW, Im in no way being ageist. Caniggia could be 20 for all I care - its solely his recent performance I'm interested in.

#8 ·
Canigia for sure....Saviola is a very very talented player but still not experinced as much as the WC needs

#9 ·
we should leave gustavo lopez out.
Nooooooooooo:depress: You people just don't understand how valuable a player he is......:sigh: And he hardly ever puts out a bad performance......Bielsa please don't be unfair to him:(
As for Caniggia and Saviola, Cannigia HANDS DOWN!;):D No single post or article or anything can put me against him.....he is just TOO GREAT! :proud:

#10 ·
Im not going to vote on who should go. I didnt vote last time either because I just dont know who should be there to benefit us most.

I like Caniggia because he still has great speed and SO much experience that it will help us alot in very key moments.

However, Saviola doesnt have that experience. He does have flair, speed and great vision for his age. I would love to see him showcase his extrodinary talent to the world, but will he come in in the second half as a substitute and make a difference?

I think that is the biggest question. Which one of these 2 players will make the most impact with limited time on the pitch. Who will give us that very key goal that we need, or maybe a single great run that will setup someone else for that very key goal that we will be needing.

You all can say one or another, but none of us truely know who will be the better choice. Bielsa will know when it's deadline time to hand in our 23man roster.

#11 ·
I voted Saviola...and i think Bielsa will pick him also.The way i see it,Javier is just TOO talented to leave out,he is already better than many of his Argentina team-mates.That is just my humble little opinion,what is really a crime is that Aimar(talented as he is),is always favoured ahead of Riquelme:(.Poor JR,politics often affect selections,but it's still a shame that the world won't see a team including both JS & JR.I can always dream....see ya:)

#12 ·
i think that everyone here has made a valid point, but i still think both should go, since any of them can make a decisive play and win a match.
if it can be just one of them, i would go for saviola. and like i said, i would leave g lopez out. i know its hard to leave him out when he has been with the NT since the first call bielsa did, he never refused to go, and above all, he is a good player, but we alredy have sorin, kily, placente and very probably solari. so too much player in that side of the pitch.

#14 ·
Anyone considered the possibility that Ortega might not go to Japan?

"Argentina's Ariel Ortega has issued a World Cup plea to coach Marcelo Bielsa.
Ortega was a regular during his country's dominant performance throughout the South American World Cup qualifying competition, scoring five goals in 16 matches.

However, since Argentina secured their place in Korea and Japan he has been overlooked by Bielsa, despite his good form for club side River Plate.

After missing three consecutive friendlies, including Wednesday's 1-0 win over Germany, Ortega fears the dream of a place in the 23-man squad could be slipping from his grasp.

However, he is not going to give it up without a fight.

"When I am not in the squad for the friendlies it makes me very angry," the 27-year-old told Argentine sports daily Ole.

"But I'm not even thinking of not going - I'd die if I didn't go to the World Cup."

'El Burrito' - the little donkey as he is known - usually plays on the right wing for Argentina, but the return to form and favour of veteran Claudio Caniggia has seen the younger man frozen out.

Ortega made it clear he had "respect and admiration" for Caniggia, but added: "I want to play."

"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/worldcup2002/hi/team_pages/argentina/newsid_1938000/1938891.stm

I thought he was dropped for the friendlies because there was absolutely no doubt he would be in the final 23, and Bielsa didnt need to test him.

If he doesnt go, I will be very pissed off at Bielsa. Ortega is one of the most skillful players in the world, despite his temper ;).

#15 ·
Thats maybe the most impossible thing of the crazy things that might come out from Bielsa........

leg100 said:
Anyone considered the possibility that Ortega might not go to Japan?

"Argentina's Ariel Ortega has issued a World Cup plea to coach Marcelo Bielsa.
Ortega was a regular during his country's dominant performance throughout the South American World Cup qualifying competition, scoring five goals in 16 matches.

However, since Argentina secured their place in Korea and Japan he has been overlooked by Bielsa, despite his good form for club side River Plate.

After missing three consecutive friendlies, including Wednesday's 1-0 win over Germany, Ortega fears the dream of a place in the 23-man squad could be slipping from his grasp.

However, he is not going to give it up without a fight.

"When I am not in the squad for the friendlies it makes me very angry," the 27-year-old told Argentine sports daily Ole.

"But I'm not even thinking of not going - I'd die if I didn't go to the World Cup."

'El Burrito' - the little donkey as he is known - usually plays on the right wing for Argentina, but the return to form and favour of veteran Claudio Caniggia has seen the younger man frozen out.

Ortega made it clear he had "respect and admiration" for Caniggia, but added: "I want to play."

"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/worldcup2002/hi/team_pages/argentina/newsid_1938000/1938891.stm

I thought he was dropped for the friendlies because there was absolutely no doubt he would be in the final 23, and Bielsa didnt need to test him.

If he doesnt go, I will be very pissed off at Bielsa. Ortega is one of the most skillful players in the world, despite his temper ;).

#18 ·
Another goal and one assist in Barcas great match against Villareal that means he has scored 16 goals in la liga in his first season...

How is the form of the other "strikers" Crespo didn`t score Batistuta played and failed to score for about 5 times but he got a penalty...

Cruz didn`t score as usual...

I really don`t understand if Saviola isn`t going to the world cup.

I think that if he goes he will score a few goals just like Owen did in the last world cup...He has had a fantastic season and has really earned to go...

Cheers:D

#19 ·
The same goes for McManananaman and England. He scored a wonderful goal against Barcelona in the CL semi final first leg last week. But still its very unlikely he will get a place in the England final 23.

But Macca is ambivalent about playing for England, while Saviola is absolutely dying to play for Argentina.

G
#20 ·
Saviola is far to greater talent to not take to the World Cup, whomever is dropped by Argentina. He needs to experience the world cup as a part of his developtment...he'll just mature quicker and give more and more to both club and country...definantly take Saviola.

#21 ·
He was really disappointing last nite. For 90mins he just acted as pinball pin, bouncing balls back to midfield, with no thought to attack whatsoever. He also seems to get younger and younger - he must be 10 by now.

Saying that, he still deserves to be in the NT squad.

#22 ·
He had a quiet night but so has all players Anyone rememberg when Piojo Lopez had a good night or Bati gol or hahaha Caniggia ???a year ago maybe ????

saviola is currently the second player of barcas team the player with the second highest grade after the super defender Puyul

Cheers:D :D

#24 ·
All of you have to remember that one thing is playing for your club and another is playing for your country, especially at a WC. the pressure is too much, we need experienced players, Saviola hasn't had that much experience at the senior NT level, he´s good, no doubt about it, but he lack the International experience players like Bati, Cani or Piojo have, sorry conejito, maybe next WC..

#25 ·
Zep, u keep bringing this up...........;)

The only valuable international experience is world cup experience. Simple. Friendlies and copa america aren't gonna push a lad like saviola to his best. He may look about 10 years old but he can survive in the big wide world now, u gotta let him go sometime zep! :D

#26 ·
You may be right, but this WC is so important for us, we can spoil it, i hope there was room for him, but if it was between Caniggia and Saviola, i would go for Caniggia, plus Bielsa already has said that he sees Saviola as a CF, which means he would be fourth choice behind Bati, Crespo and Lopez..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.