Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just heard the match against Osasuna's been delayed because his two year old daughter suffered a massive cardiac arrest and passed away. Awful to hear, RIP to Marco Caneira's daughter and condolences to his family.

·
Administrator
25,394 Posts
omg thats so awfull:( poor caneira and family, poor lil girl:(

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Man, this is absolutely sad! I hate hearing these kind of news especially babies like her dying for whatever reason but god is much more merciful than us especially with kids and babies, maybe she would have suffered more in her life! Still SAD SAD SAD!

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
The truth is that Villar and the RFEF are a bunch of bastards that didn't do anything to cancel this match. It's unbelievable to see how Fabio Aurelio was crying or the face of Aimar during the team pic before the game when he was told that Caneira's daughter had died. How can you play a match when the daughter of a teammate has just died?

It's amazing the attitude of the Valencia players, who could tied in El Sadar, despite all this. Good for them.

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
There is no greater sorrow for any parent than to lose a child.

indeed very sad.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Che said:
There is no greater sorrow for any parent than to lose a child.

indeed very sad.
Yep, my parents would definately agree. There's nothing worst, take it from me who lost a 3 yr old sister.

My condolences to Marco Caneira and his family.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I just read about this; terrible, terrible news. My sincere condolences to Caneira and his family. It was a terrible decision by the RFEF, they should show some solidarity with the players.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I just dug this up, it clears some stuff.

REF UNDER FIRE AGAIN
The Spanish FA (RFEF) are facing criticism after Sunday's game between Osasuna and Valencia went ahead despite the tragic death of Valencia defender Marco Caneira's eight-month old daughter shortly before kick-off.

Caneira's daughter died suddenly of heart and respiratory failure an hour and a half before kick-off.

Valencia immediately chartered the player a private plane so he could fly straight back home, but were unable to get in touch with the RFEF president Angel Maria Villar.

Valencia president Juan Soler said: "I tried to get in touch with him, but I couldn't get through. We did everything possible to try and talk to him.

"The referee spoke to the refereeing committee and in the end we had to play the game. He told us he could suspend the game if the RFEF told him to and we tried to get into contact with them."

"I have to thank Osasuna for their attitude, they were willing to suspend the game," he added.

Meanwhile Fernando Garrido, the spokesman of the RFEF, declared that they would have postponed the game had they known about the situation.

He said: "Nobody got in contact with us. We would have considered it normal had the game not been played."

The RFEF have been under heavy criticism in recent weeks for their failure to take action over Spain coach Luis Aragones' racist comments concerning Arsenal striker Thierry Henry.

They have also been slammed for handing out only token fines of 600 euros to Primera Liga clubs Albacete and Atletico Madrid following racist chanting from the stands.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Koeman4 said:
The truth is that Villar and the RFEF are a bunch of bastards that didn't do anything to cancel this match. It's unbelievable to see how Fabio Aurelio was crying or the face of Aimar during the team pic before the game when he was told that Caneira's daughter had died. How can you play a match when the daughter of a teammate has just died?
I agree. The referee said that he couldn't contact Villar or some guy from the Federation... it's Sunday and the president of the Spanish Federation isn't available?? And anyways, the referee should have cancelled the game by himself, I don't think he had to fear anything, because everybody would have agreed.

·
Registered
867 Posts
R.I.P. little baby :frownani:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts