Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Canadian tour of Europe - Part 2 (Denmark, Sweden, Norway)

Speaking of coming back from a 3-0 deficit, Canada's Women's team did just that today, defeating the Danish national team 4-3 in a friendly at Brøndby.

According to Canadian Press:

Christine Sinclair scored her second goal of the game in the 83rd minute to cap a remarkable comeback as Canada rallied from a 3-0 deficit to defeat Denmark 4-3 Wednesday in a women's exhibition soccer game.

"I've read about games like that but never seen one," an exuberant Canadian coach Even Pellerud said. It marks the Canadians' second straight upset. Pellerud's team blanked France 2-0 on April 27 on an earlier European trip.

Canada was down 3-0 to the Danes after 13 minutes but pulled a goal back in the 22nd minute thanks to a long-distance shot to the far corner from Sinclair.

The Canadians dominated the second half, cutting the deficit to 3-2 on a 55th-minute Sasha Andrews goal off a Brittany Timko free kick. Substitute Charmaine Hooper, with her 63rd international goal, tied it up in the 76th minute on a header from a Diana Matheson cross.

Hooper's through ball set up Sinclair for the winner. Sinclair's two goals give her 52 in 70 internationals.

The Danes are ranked seventh in the world, compared to No. 11 for Canada.

"They are up there with the best teams in Europe, so it was a really good win for us," Pellerud said.

Pellerud's joy at winning the game was tempered by his team's dreadful start. "We started very slow. We were hesitant. We had slow feet."

Pellerud blamed the poor start on a combination of jet lag and too much respect for the Danes.

The Denmark game is the first of a three-game European tour for the Canadian women. They play Sweden in Stockholm on Saturday and Norway in Oslo on Tuesday.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
go canada. Sinclair is simply amazing. she really is unstoppable. she will definitely score 100 by the time she retires.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess it all depends on when she retires, but with 53 goals to her credit and not yet 22 years old, I'd say she will soon eclipse Charmaine Hooper as Canada's highest all-time woman scorer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts