Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Quite a pointless game for Switzerland, imo. Basically important to find a team for the upcoming qualifications, but right after the finish of th champioship....

·
Registered
121 Posts
The game will be played in St. Gallen's Espenmoos, probably because Canada's Daniel Imhof is playing with FCSG. This is the only way to get a decent crowd number for such a game.....

·
Registered
178 Posts
Get rid of Kuhn Now!

I attended this horrible display also known as a game. The attendance was around 4000. This was by far the worst performance I have ever witnessed by a Swiss National Team - there are few words to describe my anger, it was utterly pathetic. The SFV needs to act now and fire Jacob (Köbi) Kuhn before it's too late. There is only one more test (against Austria in August) before Euro 2004 qualifying starts. There is no fire in this team, no motivation what so ever. It wasn't until the score was 3-0 (!) that the team looked like it really wanted to score. No offense to the Canadians, but Canada really isn't part of the world elite. All players wearing the Swiss jersey yesterday should be ashamed of themselves to play in this manner in front of their home crowd. It looked like the Basel players were still hungover from the Cupfinal party, but there are no excuses. Canada had to make the trip and was easily just as tired. Dwayne DeRosario for example is in the middle of the MLS season with the San Jose Earthquakes and still made the trip to a midweek friendly in Europe. Now if the Swiss players would have had half of that commitment, this friendly should have been won. I said it before and I will say it again - fire Kuhn now, he can't deal with the players and completely dropped the ball on the mental part of the game. Yesterday I was embarrassed to wear the national team jersey.

Other notes:
At this point I have to take a shot at the St. Gallen fans. Get this - these guys almost gave Canada more support than Switzerland. When the starting lineups were announced, they cheered loudly for their Canadian boy Daniel Imhof and whistled when Basel players like Murat Yakin were announced. After Canada led 2-0 some fans even joined a small group of Canadian fans on the other side of the field. Way to go guys - good thing you won't ever get an important game, just lousy friendlies like yesterday.

Stadium:
This was my first trip to the Espenmoos and I was pleasantly surprised. It is a nice cozy stadium right in the middle of a residential area. It is getting old however, and that new stadium should be a priority if FCSG doesn't want to stay the farm club for other teams...

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Thanks for the interesting report SwissGCZ :cool: :happy:. Too bad about the result though :sigh:

So was the performance the result of purely mental factors or did coach Kuhn mess up tactically? Becuase as you say Canada are a pretty mediocre team (if they were any good then they'd have wiped the floor with T&T in the WCQ's). I know that Australia and Canada are very similar in a lot of ways but i can safely say that football is something we are much better at :stuckup:. You only have to compare the clubs our players play at to their players and it is a no contest, not to mention the fact that we'd easily qualify from CONCACAF imo :hopefull: :doh: :)

Anyway this is about the Swiss team so i'll stick to that. Te reson i asked about whether the result was purely becuase of mental factors or also tactical factors was because it is obvious that the U-17 coach Marcus Frei and the U-21 coach Bernard Challandes are very good in both a tactical and motivational sense as recent performances go. From what i have read both teams play a 4-3-2-1 and although there are some classy individuals f.ex Cabanas and Frei in the U-21 side, the team's is stronger than the "sum of its parts" and along with a strong sense of comradery this has enabled the Swiss to beat much bigger fish :cool: :proud: (grats to the U-17's on their EURO title :star: )

Obviously you and the other Swiss fans will be able to give a clearer answer but i think either of these two coaches would do a good job at senior level based on results and match reports. Obviously going for a foreign coach is tempting given what Roy Hodgson did for the NT but i think these two candidates would be ideal and i think its always better to go for a home born-n-bread coach ceteris paribus since they know better than a foreign coach how to handle things overall.

BTW did u manage to get a ticket for the cupfinal SwissGCZ and if so how was it?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Köbi Kuhn was U21 coach before he rose to NT coach. The U21 played most of the Euro-qualifiers under Kuhn...
IMO a lot of the blame is to be taken by the players, their attitude towards the NT has been a shame since Hodgson left Switzerland. Players like Henchoz (Liverpool) or Vogel (PSV Eindhoven) are regulars at their clubs, even playing Champions League, but their NT performances are notoriously BAD. In a lot of "small" countries these few top players are the centre of the game (Wales/Giggs, Finland/Litmanen,Hyypiä)....

bottom line: Swiss players a all a bunch of losers !!!

about the crowd: yes, they (we :mad: ) are a shame at NT matches, but that's nothing new. see the last game against Greece, see all matches before. it would really be best not to play NT matches at the Espenmoos any more.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Andreas,

As Vlado pointed out Kuhn coached the U21 with temendous success before he became National team coach. It is a big step from coaching a youth team to coaching a team with professionals that earn huge salaries around the globe. Kuhn proved to me that he can't deal with so-called "star players." After short time he dropped Sforza, Henchoz, and Chapuisat from the National team because he couldn't deal with them. He has since worked out his problems with Henchoz, but cripes - as such a small country we can't afford to anger some of our best players. Switzerland is not France who has several high quality players for the same position. I agree with you Vlado - the attitude of the players wasn't good Wednesday, but it is up to the coach to change that attitude. Kuhn completely dropped the ball in the motivation department (once again.) We can't change the players but we can change the coach. The players are there, we just need someone to make a team out of them. The nats are the complete opposite of the U21 - The whole is less than the sum of its parts. I say make Christian Gross the national team coach. He is strict, but still knows how to treat more difficult players. Players like the Yakins or Kubi Türkylmaz flurished under Gross because he knew how to communicate with them. In fact, making Gross the nats coach would solve 2 problems at once. Switzerland would be good again and Basel would suck :D

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
A great result for Canada, a country I love, but:

Switzerland is still much better than Canada, this result says nothing...

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
I agree with Viola about the relative strength of the two countries. Neither are really part of the world elite but the Swiss do have much better personnel and should be showing it on the pitch :groan: :frustrat:. Still i'd like to see Canada improve to a level where they could at least make the CONCACAF WC final round. After all they did win the Gold cup and beat Colombia in the final to do it :cool: :hopefull:

Thanks for filling me in Vlado and SwissGCZ :happy:. I must say that as soon as i saw SwissGCZ mention Christian Gross i knew there was a hidden agenda :tongue: and sure enough his last statement proved it :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts