Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this thread seem to keep coming back,but I want to hear your opinions....

So what do you think are Canada's chances of hosting the 2014 World Cup???

·
Registered
327 Posts
10%

10% chance ... if the Government steps in then this number will go up significantly. If proposed projects such as the 60,000 seater multi purpose stadium in Hamilton get built within the next few years that number will be even higher.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Not to metnion we will probably need a proffesional league of or own like America did to host the 94 WC

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Why not???

We got the venues, i think we can host a good tournament and it can be successful....

We don't really need much to fix, probably build a few stadiums and renovate much more. But the accomodations and stuff like that would be the hardest...
i think we can do it...

Halifax, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Windsor, Hamilton, Ottawa, Regina, Montreal, Quebec City, Moncton and a couple of others can have stadiums in them ;)

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
I would be crappy

That's all I have to say.

I mean, cmon. Imagine the players arriving in Windsor? What kind of atmosphere would there be?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let's not forget that a lot of immigrants live in Canada.....

·
Registered
327 Posts
Dieselguy19 said:
Why not???

We got the venues, i think we can host a good tournament and it can be successful....

These are potential WC venues:

1. BC Place (need to put in temporary grass)
2. SkyDome (need to put in temporary grass)
3. Olympic Stadium (need to put in temporary grass)
4. Commonwealth Stadium

I really can't see a WC soccer game in any of the other stadiums.

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
We should stop with the pipe dreams (or is that pipe smokin?) about the WC.

WE NEED STADIUMS FIRST ONCE THEY ARE BUILT THEN MAYBE.

I read that the US is going for the Cup that year, if so then we better back off now before we embarass ourselves in front of the whole world again.

ps. if we do go for it, Jarrek it sounds like you have some connections, so ensure us that Mel Lastman doesn't have anything to do with the thing.

Toronto embarassed the whole country twice and I hope we don't do the same in 2014 with yet again the 'stadium question' overlooking our shoulder.

T.O. tries so hard to be a world class city. So what do they do? TEar down all the old Vicotrian buildings (thank you very much 'the 60's') and replaces them with glass boxes, destroys the University Avenue, covers up a beautiful waterfront and builds a highway over the historic Fort York. What a joke, a complete joke.

And oh yeah, how 'bout them Mooses?

Losers. All in the name of 'progress', damn hippie liberal mentality does nothing but destroy real culture. Go to Montreal or Quebec City and you'lll see what I mean.

Yes I'm venting but I'm right. We couldn't organize a contract negotiation with garbage collectors and we're going to host the WORLD'S GREATEST SPORTING EVENT what a complete joke.

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
Actually Halifax does have a WC size pitch near downtown, we just nedd a stadium built around it.

I think we can make Varisty bigger capacity too.

·
Administrator
11,898 Posts
Why does everybody figure that only obstacle to getting the WC is the availability of stadia.
FIFA has come to north america 3 times. Once mexico got it because colombia had to 'withdraw' and the other time they gave it to the US because of the possibility of opening the big market there.
Canada doesn't represent a big market and all those immigrants don't mean nothing when the countries biggest sports network actually decreases its soccer coverage. (more reductions are coming soon...wait for it).
The chances are slim to none.

·
Registered
40 Posts
as a romanian living in canada i can tell you that the chances for canada hosting the 2012 wc are...none!
thats right none!
why?
1.you guys have no stadium i mean no stadiums at all you would have to built and that would cost money and i personnally dont think canada will invest in that..
2.there is only 3 big cities in canada that has immigrants:montreal,toronto, and vancouver the others are little cities and even they built stadiums around there i doubt the atmosphere would be very good anyhow
3.football...soccer.. is not a top priority in canada and probably never will, you got hockey baseball basket ball hell even you got curling for christ sakes thats more popular then football

·
Registered
327 Posts
Well, you guys have almost everything right. But, you don't know one thing.

Former Sports minister Dennis Coderre was very interested in brining the World Cup to Canada. His plans were to build two new 60,000 seat stadiums (one in Halifax, and the other in Hamilton) as well as fully refurbish/upgrade CFL stadiums. Also, temporary natural grass technology would be brought into BC Place, Olympic Stadium and the Skydome.

There is still a possibility that this plan may happen.

Check out this link: http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/news/575847.html

1 - 20 of 45 Posts