Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think Arsenal is good enough? I am not sure. Many of our players have such great European experience (Bergkamp, OVermars won CL, Petit, Vieria, Henry won WC, etc.), but for some reason that experience did not pay off this season in Europe. If Arsenal can purchase a new right back and a new right midfielder (once again, Parlour is good, but not world class and is inexperienced in Europe), then man for man I belive we are one of the top six strongest teams in the world (I would put Lazio, Madrid, Barca, Manure, Bayern, and Juve ahead of us). However, I worry that a failure to buy two world class right sided mifielders will hamper our chances in the PL, but especially in Europe. Another thing to consider is whether or not Arsenal have the depth to win in Europe. We have good depth but there needs to be more. Our subs, Ljundberg, Lauren (presumably!), Luzhny, Kanu (not really a sub, but you know what I mean), Upson, Manninger, and Grimandi are all good, buy inexperienced in the CL (except for Luzhny). I wouldn' mind the purchase of on or two more experienced players who can come cheap (for this same reason, Suker should be kept).

Wow, that was a long message.

B

·
0 Posts
Lauren can play on the right side of midfield....indeed he did it with a great regularity for Mallorca, he can also play right back, so we have that base covered. Pires can also play right midfield. So, I really don't see that position as a great problem. We possibly need to strengthen at right-back, but that depends upon the level of believe that Wenger has in luznhy. Other then that, I think we need an extra striker, since Barrett will not be ready for champs league football next seaseon, and Kanu and Bergkamp are shear folly together. Watch out Barcelona, watch out Munich, the gunners are coming, and we're going to come all over you

D

·
0 Posts
I thought Arsenal would do quite well in the last CL, but again they failed. Barcelona was a class better than they were, but Arsenal should really have played better against Fiorentina.

At the moment I am not really sure, I hope of course Arsenal will go far, but the CL has such good teams, and teams such as Real Madrid who I had written off after the group stage, showed that when its a matter of live and death then they can even beat the world's best(Man Utd), and the best team of the competition until then(Valencia)

I think Arsenal stands a good chance of reaching the quater-finals, but that all depends who they will face in the group stages.

B

·
0 Posts
Last year was supposed to be a big year for the Arsenal, it was a year when we were going to make waves in the CL. However, due to anel2ka (see it at www.anel2ka.com and, bring a sick bag) phucking us over it changed into a transitional year. His departure, blunted our attacking performance severly, more so in hindsight then I think most of us would of originally imagined, as we discovered as the season drew on, and chances fell by the wayside with increasing alacrity, Kanu and Bergkamp though potent players, are quite simply a load of ****e when combined. This was compounded in the manner of his leaving, effevctively robbing us of the ability to acquire a sutible replacement in time, we got Suker, but he was never going to be what was required, an adroit player of course, but lacking the pace that the shape of our teams and tactics so depend. However, sometimes trials and obstacles eventually result in triumphs, and with the arrival and blossoming of Henry into a striker of true class, I believe we are left in a far better position then if Anelka had stayed, certainly titi finding his true position would of been falstalled if not eroded completely if that were the case. Yet it is unfair for me to place the blame for our inadequencies purely on the long faced one, the fact it was simply to soon. Our first team though supremely able, was not matched by equal quality in the remainder of the squad. As such, as soon as the injuries came, and they came thick and fast, our ability to perform was significantly hampered. Sure things, became less certain, dead certs became perhaps', hopes became fears. Add to this the wembley factor, and in retrospect I have to say it was enivitable.

But, that was the year that was, and this is the year that is. We now have a superb striker, someone with the power, pace, and skill I was crying out for in the beginning of the season. Arsene, is bringing in players of emence quality to augment our squad, where yesterday we were relying on grimandi to replace petit, we now have lauren. And wembly...well that's just a pile of dead bricks, and forgotten memories. Next year will be a big one for us, u mark my words.

The future is bright, the future is red and white.

Believe
[This message has been edited by blitheid (edited 05-06-2000).]

[This message has been edited by blitheid (edited 05-06-2000).]

C

·
0 Posts
Arsenal is the favorite EPL team. Of course, I would want them win the CL very much.

Thus far they have been disappointing.

They are not the best team in EPL, they come no. 2 perhaps. And in Europe, I would say they are still in second tier, first tier being Barca, Madrid, Juve, Lazio, Bayern and MU (last in that level).

Why Arsenal is still not the strongest in Europe?

Arsene Wenger is a great coach. During his charge we say the rise of Vieira, Parlour, Ljungberg and most recently Henry. He consistently brings out the best of a player.

But still not good enough. Biggest reason being that they are not financially aggressive. They have a rigid wage structure. Arsene Wenger famously put it, " we can't sell the whole west stand just to get Ronaldo play for us."

It sounds prudent. But soccer isn't going that way. Apart from MU, Bayern and Juve, we see that Barca, Madrid and Lazio all spent like crazy mad cow during the past few seasons. Besides, the highest paid player is Juve's Del Piero.

Can we imagine Del Piero play for Arsenal one day? Given their wage structure, it effectively screen out this possibility. Even the likes of Dennis Bergkamp and Tony Adams are underpaid at Highbury. They stayed because Highbury is home to them.

We should be happy that we have seen Henry thrive throughout the season and finishes as top scorer. We foresee him scoring many many more goals for the gunners.

But Kanu should be used more effectively. He is one of the best centre forward in Europe. If he could score more and have more chance, we could still reasonably hope that Arsenal can have a good run in next season's CL.

I have to say that Dennis Bergkamp is on his decline. Not scoring enough, not playing enough ...

Overmars has had two indifferent seasons as the most significant underachiever at Highbury, alongside Parlour and Petit.

If Petit wants to go, he should go. No point keeping a player like that. Sad though. But there is a chance to cash in on him. He is worth more than 10 m.

I am glad that Pires is said to be joining. He would supply more option to the midfield attacking route.

But once again, can we imagine Zidane playing for Arsenal? No.

And I doubt that the reach of Arsene Wenger can find an appropriate replacements for the aging defence. Tony Adams is injury-prone, Keown has yet to reach world class standard, Luzny has not been given enough chance. Silvinho is yet to prosper...

I really hope Arsenal can sort their way out financially.

One thing, I think Parlour has yet to reach his full potential. I still have great support in him though he did not perform well during the past two seasons.

Thank you!

L

·
0 Posts
Last seasong we played our home matches at Wembley, that are we not going to do next seasong. Arsenal went to UEFA-cup final so why not to CL-final. If we can strengthen our team and play at Highbury I think we can go far in CL.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Arsenal is not ready to win the champions league
altho look at valencia, they dont have the pedigree of barca, man utd or lazio. if arsenal doesnt get pressurized into doing well in the cl, then the team may go far.

------------------
LOOSE MOOSE

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Clarence, I agree with you about the wage structure, but I expect it to change within the next year or two. Liverpool, Chelsea, and Manure are all paying players 40000 pounds and up per week, and I am sure Arsenal will follow. Also, Blitheid, welcome.

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
if they can't win the league,who can they then win cl.
arsenal is one of the worst teams of epl,i hope they lose everything:)

B

·
0 Posts
Real madrid didn't win the league, man united......

Has anyone noticed a problem with this forum, certain banal messages seem to be continously reposted......usually headed by a nasty pr*ck, or something. Is it a s/ware problem?

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
to blindface or something

"stick your head in the microwave and get yourself a tan"

B

·
0 Posts
Inevitably arsenal will ultimately have to change their waging policy, infact teamtalk recently reported that we were wiiling to offer viera a new contract valued at twice his current one...So it could be a long while before we finally break our present wage limit.

While, I would like to see arsenal aquire players of the reputation of veron, zidane, or whoever. I certainly wouldn't wish us to risk the future security of the club in the process of doing so, which is exactly what would be happening. Many clubs in italy and spain are gambling their very existance on the basis of their future success. You only have to look at what happened to clubs like Athletico Madrid and betis to see the cost of faliure. They invested heavily, and now the only thing holding them together is the very premise which they tried to exploit. There is money in football.

Look at marsielle, during the last couple of seasons they invested extensively, buying players like pires, dalmat, ravanlli, etc, how many of these will still be with them at the beginning of next season?.

Personally I think wenger has worked miracles in the transfer market, and I don't expect that to change. Sure, we will need to increase our wages to retain players, the market is expanding be the day, but look at the players wenger has already aquired under our current restraints. Henry, viera, petit, overmars, lauren etc.....all great players. All players capable of playing in a CL final.

B

·
0 Posts
dear nasty di*k,

I doubt very much whether a microwave would produce a tanning effect, since is works of the priciple of increasing the rate of oscillation of water molecules, via the interation between the em wave and the magnetic field? of the said H20 particles.

So, it would have no effect on something dry...like your conversation.

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
yeah yeah whatever arsenal is still a loser team without any glory,when was the last time they won against an italian team?

B

·
0 Posts
How about when arsenal beat parma in the final of the CWC.....that was a great night

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
okey that was the first and only time!!!:D
anyway where are you from magoo,london i guess?:rolleyes:

B

·
0 Posts
First and only, ha, ha, very funny, your growing on me, like athletes foot or something

As to where I hail from.....well, try the inbetween baby, try the inbetween

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
remember any other time,blindface?
no,i guess not
milan has never lost against a brittish team
it speak for itself,we are better.......
we have better national team too,2-0 against belgium and you guys lost:)
but arsenal didn't have too many players oin that team.
only loooser david
and the oldies keown and adams.
secret identity yeah right you must be like 12 years old or something..

[Edited by nasty nick on 15-06-2000 at 00:37]

B

·
0 Posts
Firstly, anoniminity if priceless and something to be cherished, we all move in shadows my friend, some try to create illusions of reality others choose to obfusticate. It matters little, it should be the words that grip and hold, not some percieved sence to tactility. Perhaps I am 12, perhaps younger, or not. Perhaps I am not, perhaps I am code running like hot mercury through the memory of a machine, does it matter?

Secoundly, your profile says you are swedish, yet you attach yourself to the italian team. Intresting......I suppose. In any event your supposition that your national team is superior to mine is doomed to faliure. a) because, Italy faced vastly inferior oposition to england b) because your main striker is inzaghi c) because I don't support england, I support arsenal.

[Edited by blitheid on 15-06-2000 at 08:43]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts