Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can u tell me about australian football. Like who is the best. I dont want site urls though

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Sure, the best team is the Canberra Cosmos. They are the best and no one can beat them!!! To bad SA is totaly crap and kicked them out... :mad:

PS: Don't ask me, KI will know more... :tongue: :howler:

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
leeds_utd_lad said:

PS: Don't ask me, KI will know more... :tongue: :howler:
Yeah King will be able to tell you about his local one town team with the biggest chequebooks and high profile players who suffer from "Cuper syndrome" or "Leverskusen syndrome" of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory ;) :tongue:

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Yeah, what Andreas said... :howler:

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Andreas said:

Yeah King will be able to tell you about his local one town team with the biggest chequebooks and high profile players who suffer from "Cuper syndrome" or "Leverskusen syndrome" of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory ;) :tongue:
Hahahaha good one :D

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
And Andreas will be able to tell you how he stopped supporting this one town team cause they lost a game last year and how he went on to support the team that won the championship in 2001 and got 2,000 people to their games the next season.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
oldsocfan 2 said:
Can u tell me about australian football. Like who is the best. I dont want site urls though
South Melbourne have the most championships with 4 ...

Sydney Olympic are the current champions ...

Perth Glory are the richest club with the biggest crowds and arguably the best squad but choke more often than Greg Norman ...

Damien Mori of Perth Glory is the most prolific striker in NSL history, who also held the world record for the fastest goal scored (3.54 secs while with Adelaide City) before FIFA changed the rules and allowed shots direct from the kick-off ...

Hope that goes some way to answering your question.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Here's a brief history for those interested...

The NSL started in Oz back in 1977 and has changed formats heaps of times since then. It started off as a first-past-the-post league and actually enjoyed large crowds and lots of sponsorship (It was Australia's first truely National sporting competition). In the mid 80's, the league was then split into 2 - the Northern Division, comprising of teams from NSW and ACT, and the Southern Division, with teams from Victoria, Sth Aust, and Queensland (strange but true). A top 5 Finals series was introduced for each Division, with the winners from each Division playing off against each other for the National League Championship. This format lasted until the late 80's and was changed back to a single first-past-the-post division league in '87. In '88 the finals series was re-introduced to try and earn extra money for the NSL, and to add more excitement back into the league. The early 90's saw the NSL disposal of the traditional promotion/ relegation system, instead opting to focus on just the same clubs year in, year out. It was also changed from a winter league to a summer league. Several clubs have come and gone in that time, namely Collingwood, Carlton, Morwell/Eastern Pride & Canberra Cosmos. Others have taken their place with various degrees of success.. Perth Glory, Parramatta, Northern Spirit.

South Melbourne, Marconi, and Adelaide City are the only clubs that have played in every season since 1977. Olympic Sharks have missed just one season (1979 i think). Sydney Utd, Melbourne Knights have been in since 1984, and Wollongong Wolves(86) are the next longest servants. Brisbane Strikers and Newcastle Breakers joined in the early 90's, followed by Perth, Northern Spirit and Parramatta later on in the decade. The NSL is also the only league in the world that has a team from another country playing in it, the Football Kingz from New Zealand. They also joined late in the 90's.

Here is a list of the NSL Champions to date:

Sydney City * 1977
Adelaide Sharks * 1978
Marconi Stallions 1979
Heidelberg * 1980
Sydney City * 1981
Sydney City * 1982
St George * 1983
South Melbourne SC 1984
Brunswick Juventus* 1985
Adelaide City Force 1986
Apia Leichhardt * 1987
Marconi Stallions 1988
Marconi Stallions 1989
Olympic Sharks 1989-90
South Melbourne SC 1990-91
Adelaide City Force 1991-92
Marconi Stallions 1992-93
Adelaide City Force 1993-94
Melbourne Knights 1994-95
Melbourne Knights 1995-96
Brisbane Strikers 1996-97
South Melbourne SC 1997-98
South Melbourne SC 1998-99
Wollongong Wolves 1999-00
Wollongong Wolves 2000-01
Olympic Sharks 2001-02

Note: Clubs with * are no longer in the NSL.

I hope i havent left anything out ;)

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Erm yeah, what pao1908 said! ;)

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
yeah me too regarding what pao said :proud: ;)

pao1908 said:
The NSL is also the only league in the world that has a team from another country playing in it, the Football Kingz from New Zealand. They also joined late in the 90's.

well if the Auld firm have their way then this record may be under thread :sigh:

which reminds me. This info may actually not be correct Pao since Cardiff City of Wales play in the English professional leagues/

Vaduz from Liechtenstein play in the Swiss league (NLB)

hmmn guess the theory aint holding up to well eh pao? :D :tongue:

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Andreas said:
well if the Auld firm have their way then this record may be under thread :sigh:

which reminds me. This info may actually not be correct Pao since Cardiff City of Wales play in the English professional leagues/

Vaduz from Liechtenstein play in the Swiss league (NLB)

Yeah, Wrexham, Swansea and Cardiff are all Welsh teams playing in the Nationwide ...

Do other mini-football nations (i'm citing your Vaduz example Andreas) like San Marino and Andorra have teams playing in Italy or Spain?

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
dyertribe said:

Do other mini-football nations (i'm citing your Vaduz example Andreas) like San Marino and Andorra have teams playing in Italy or Spain?
Sorry mate but personally i can't help you there :doh: :sigh:. I only found about about Vaduz when the Swiss forum opened a few months ago actually :embarass:

I should also point out that even though the teams from Liechtenstein play in the Swiss leagues, they have their own cup tournament, the winner of which progresses to the UEFA cup (Vaduz again this year :) )

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Andreas said:
Yeah, ok, point taken :cool:

But what i meant to say was that our league is the only in the world that has a team from another country in its top division.

Now, does this theory sound any better??? ;) :D

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
pao1908 said:

Yeah, ok, point taken :cool:

But what i meant to say was that our league is the only in the world that has a team from another country in its top division.

Now, does this theory sound any better??? ;) :D
yes much better :happy:....................

......... for the time being at least :D

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Here's some stats abt our NSL ....

MOST NSL GAMES PLAYED:
Alex Tobin* 484 games
Sergio Melta 445
Paul Trimboli* 419
Mike O’Shea 406
Robert Hooker* 394
Theo Selemidis 393
Gary Phillips 377
(* denotes 2001/02 season player)

MOST NSL GOALS SCORED:
Damian Mori* 184 goals
Rod Brown 137
John Kosmina 133
Francis Awaritefe 124
Marshall Soper 122
Ivan Kelic 116
Paul Trimboli* 114
Pablo Cardozo* 110
John Markovski* 110
Gary Cole 109
(* denotes 2001/02 season player)

RECORD RISES ON NSL LADDER FROM HALF-WAY TO END-OF-SEASON:
2001/02 (13 teams) South Melbourne 8 positions (from last to fifth)
1978 (14 teams) St George 7 positions (from last to seventh)
1991/92 (14 teams) Heidelberg 5 positions (from last to ninth)

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Damian Mori* 184 goals <-- Moneybags Mercenary.
Rod Brown 137 <-- Ginger is in - looks like the announcer from The Late Show w/David Letterman.
John Kosmina 133 <-- Absolute legend, master of the polo-shirt.
Francis Awaritefe 124 <-- Dreadlocks personified.
Marshall Soper 122 <-- ??
Ivan Kelic 116 <-- Erm ... yeah ...
Paul Trimboli* 114 <-- 114 NSL goals with a paunch.
Pablo Cardozo* 110 <-- Chose us over Argentina :D
John Markovski* 110 <-- Mark Viduka without the motivation.
Gary Cole 109 <-- Wasn't he the old bloke from Minder?

Guess who's bored?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
dyertribe said:
Damian Mori* 184 goals <-- Moneybags Mercenary.
Rod Brown 137 <-- Ginger is in - looks like the announcer from The Late Show w/David Letterman.
John Kosmina 133 <-- Absolute legend, master of the polo-shirt.
Francis Awaritefe 124 <-- Dreadlocks personified.
Marshall Soper 122 <-- ??
Ivan Kelic 116 <-- Erm ... yeah ...
Paul Trimboli* 114 <-- 114 NSL goals with a paunch.
Pablo Cardozo* 110 <-- Chose us over Argentina :D
John Markovski* 110 <-- Mark Viduka without the motivation.
Gary Cole 109 <-- Wasn't he the old bloke from Minder?

Guess who's bored?
LOL

Marshall Soper 122 <-- Played with about 157 different Sydney clubs :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts