Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how everybody stacks Italy against the other strong national teams in the world for 2006. I think Italy on any given day can beat anyone, but the only thing that worries me is that we are developing a history of choking a la the netherlands. Also there are many more stronger countries now than in previous years. Just curious to see some responses.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Yeah, England, Spain, Portugal, they will all be stronger than ever..even Germany and the netherlands...ithink italy can go a good bit but they need some more firepower up front if they want to compete, gilardino is not the answer

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
What do you mean Gilardino is not the answer? He is fantastic he is on par or as good as Shevchenko capable of scoring Marco Van Basten type goals, making excellent passes and beautiful flicks and holds the ball well. I don't understand why Gilardino is not the answer to to our fire power problems coupled with Cassano, Totti, Montella. etc.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow out of all the reasons i thought i'd hear about italy not being able to win it all, but fire power... c'mon. Gilardino, Totti, Cassano, and a fit Vieri are all world class players. Other than Pirlo and Camoranesi I think the problem lies in their midfield.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
De Rossi, D'Agostino, Pirlo, Camoranesi, Gattuso, Aquilani, Esposito

That's our midfield. I don't see any problems.

I do see problems with an aging Vieri, aging Inzaghi, Cassano with problems, totti with problems, and Gilardino who is not cut out for the big leagues...be top scorer of your league before you venture into int' football..and we see how good he is this year, with only 13 goals

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Pulsar man that is Wow... that is the only word I can think of to describe your opinion. 23 goals last year 4 goals in the last game and only an easy tap in by Shevchenko stopped him from being the top scorer with him not even playing for the whole season. He scored an amazing goal against Inter in the first leg and then he scored another amazing goal against you in the return leg. He had trouble at the beginning of the season with the Olympics and Under 21 Championship now he is starting to heat up. He is far from a problem he is new to the International stage but I don't see any reason for him not to do ridiculously well and perhaps even end his international career as top Italian goal scorer. Read over your midfield list again. De Rossi is not doing well at all, Aquilani has to improve a lot more, D'Agostino is playing for Messina because he hasn't been doing well. I think think our midfield is actually decent though not many of the players you mentioned are the best but attacking wise I think we are covered.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pulsar36 said:
De Rossi, D'Agostino, Pirlo, Camoranesi, Gattuso, Aquilani, Esposito

That's our midfield. I don't see any problems.

I do see problems with an aging Vieri, aging Inzaghi, Cassano with problems, totti with problems, and Gilardino who is not cut out for the big leagues...be top scorer of your league before you venture into int' football..and we see how good he is this year, with only 13 goals
Oh so I guess you got to lead your league in scoring before you can compete internationally. Let me remind you that Gilardino almost won the scoring race last year with a not so good Parma team. If it weren't for him being over played at the start of this season with the u-21 and olympic teams he would have scored more I'm sure. Now can you tell me exactly what the problem is with Cassano and Totti.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Okay fine. I understand your points. I guess I'm wrong, I never realized Gilardino is that good. Okay I think we are fine. I think we will be fine though, now that I realize that the attack is fine. Esposito will be key, with Pirlo, Gattuso, and Another in the midfield.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Pulsar36 said:
Okay fine. I understand your points. I guess I'm wrong, I never realized Gilardino is that good. Okay I think we are fine. I think we will be fine though, now that I realize that the attack is fine. Esposito will be key, with Pirlo, Gattuso, and Another in the midfield.
perhaps Barone???

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
Italy cannot win World Cup 2006 because our midfield is simply not good enough. Assuming Lippi goes with the (4-3-1-2), a midfield of Gattuso, Pirlo, and De Rossi can't cut it. Gattuso is a guarantee...heart, grit, determination, hussle, and a bit of skill......De Rossi needs to improve and mature alot over the next year to be the player us Romanisti hope he can be....and Pirlo is a product of the Milan system. He is not a great player, but being on Milan makes him look better than he really is. He is vital to Milan, but he is an average international player IMO. I hope he proves me wrong.

A backline with Cannavaro, Nesta, Zambrotta, and whoever plays RB is going to be a great defense. A tridente of Totti, Cassano, and Gilardino with the likes of Montella, Toni, and Miccoli on the bench is a great attacking combo. Lippi is a great coach. If the midfield holds up, we can win the whole thing. But that a BIG if.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
honestly, I think we should minimize our midfield and so we should play a 5-2-3...with

--------------------------------buffon------------------------------
---RB----------Ferrari---------Nesta----------Cannavaro------Zambrotta-
-------------------------DM--------Pirlo---------------------------
-----------------------------Totti---------------------------------
----------------------Cassano---------Gil

Then play what we know best

catenaccio with long ball tactics

tahts how all the teams win nowadays
chelsea, greece
so we do the same

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
Absolutely awful tactics in my opinion Pulsar. To win in football today, don't look at the flukes like Greece (they earned the Euro2004 title and I give them credit but lets get real). You need to look at the teams that have dominated the international scene for the last 11 years. The Brazilians and French national teams played beautiful attacking football and won the WC in 1994, 1998, and 2002. Catenaccio is dead. Italia tried to play catenaccio in WC02 and Euro04 and failed MISERABLY. The way to win in 2006 is for Lippi to instill Milan type football. Play smart, play mistake free, and play possession football. We have the defense and attack....if the midfield plays solid, who is better than us? Don't forget we have the best keeper in the world in Buffon as well. As long as we play to win and stop playing scared catenaccio, Italia can return to glory. PLAY TO WIN RATHER THAN TRYING NOT TO LOSE!

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
We played it in 2002 but no 04...i think 04 was a good example of sticking in too many attacking players and attacking too much (edit)

only in the late stages of the game did we go catenaccio

with sweden scoring on us those fools

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
Pulsar36 said:
We played it in 2002 but no 04...i think 04 was a good example of sticking in too many attacking players and attacking too much (edit)

only in the late stages of the game did we go catenaccio

with sweden scoring on us those fools
Thats exactly why we lost....CATENACCIO. We dominated Sweden for 60 minutes, were up 1-0, then old man Trap played catenaccio rather than going for the 2nd goal that would have clinched the win, and we drew with a fluke goal by Ibrahimovic. Also, Trap didn't field too many attacking players, he fielded the WRONG ones. He started Del Piero and Vieri in every match..but it should have been Cassano and the not called Gilardino. Also, starting Zanetti instead of Gattuso in the first match against Denmark was just idiotic. Catenaccio is dead, Italia needs to grow up and attack damn it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree, with all the talented italian players out there we should play real football, none of this long ball BS or scoring first then defending for the rest of the game. Attack, play ball possession, and if you score and take the lead keep playing with the ball and keep attacking. The best defence is a good offence. They cant score if they don't have the ball.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Cristiano Zanetti, did you see his form lately? Excellent I tell you. HE was the best player on the pitch in the Milan derby. He should be given another chance to prove himself on the international stage. He holds off the likes of Davids and Karagounis and Emre in the starting lineup, that should be reason enough for him to be called off

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
dude.. c.zanetti has never and will never do anything for the azzurri..this should be the team in my opinion

Buffon, Nesta, Cannavaro,Zambrotta.Camoranesi/Esposito,Tonetto,Gattuso,Barone,Totti,Miccoli,Gilardino

Flachi
Cassano
Chiellini
De Sanctis
MORFEO!!!!!!!!
Pirlo
Montella
Falcone

what i find totaly shocking and kinda disgracefull is we still havent found a true left winger...its quite hilarious actualy

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Just ask Esposito to play left wing. He can do it.

Or get Potenza/Parisi to split LB duties and then get Zambrotta to do it.

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
We don't need a left winger in the (4-3-1-2). We are missing a quality right winger and a great defensive midfielder to complement Gattuso and Pirlo.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts