Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have caught RedEagles fever....still a portista though :)....I think we can win it!

One thing is for sure...the winner of the tournament is decided in this game!

J

·
0 Posts
Yes i think Portugal can beat these guys all they have is fast strikers Figo needs to be at his DEMOLISHING best so does Rui Costa who in my opinino hasn't done to well this tournament... Who remebers his goal vs. R.Ireland which sent us to Euro 96 ??? what a screamer... I also think that Paulo Sousa should play as he has alot more experience he looked ok vs. Turkey. Our defence also needs to be extremely focused 7 Zidane can't have much room 2 operate...

this is my thoughts on the game vs. France & if France don't get what they want they are gonna start pushing forward in numbers which will leave big gaps in defence and will be good for a counter attacking play...

B

·
0 Posts
One thing is for sure we should continue to play the way we have all along and that's attack...attack....attack because I don't think any team can attack like Portugal in this Euro 2000 except maybe Holland! If we sit back and just wait for them we will be in trouble the whole game! We should not be intimitated, we should ram the ball right down their throats and make them feel the wrath of the Portuguese! Move over world their's a new sherrif in town!

PORTUGAL ROCKS!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Yeah, we should play like the other games so far. The only games we loose are when we think the other team is too good and we start playing some crap defensive game that just isnt Portugal. I didnt think Frances defense looked all that good vs Spain. Figo, Rui, JVP and Sergio (if he plays) could make them pay.

·
Registered
986 Posts
France can be beaten. I think Figo will eat up either lizarazu or thuram, which will open up the game for portugal. We need to keep their offense in check. Paulo Bento, Costinha, Paulo Sousa, Vidigal ??? has to stop zidane from creating opportunities for himself and his team. Costa needs to take a crack at Henry early and slow him down. I have faith, Redeagle told me about even before the tournament started that we would win, I had a hard time believing him then, but now...Portugal European Champion has a nice ring to it.

I am travelling to lisbon on thursday, hopefully to celebrate a portugal win and preparing for the final along my countrypeople.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Yep, I too have though we would win ever since before the championships started, much to the amusement of my non-portuguese friends. You should see them now..what suckups they are :D

·
International
5,629 Posts
Thank you all for pointing out my faith in this team. I know France is a great team, that Zidane is in great form, that they have the best defense, and that their strikers are deadly.

However the one thing that I've known about Portugal since this shin-dig started is that they fear no one anymore, that they are as good as anyone top-to-bottom, that they have a prolific goal scorer (who with the exception of Razor) no one believed on, and most importantly that they are very hungry to finally prove that they are the best in the world just like they did in 89 and 91!

The only thing that I was not sure on was the coach, but he has proved me wrong...He has made all the right moves. Forca Coelho!

With that in mind I know we can beat France! Bento or Sousa should zone out Zidane, Vieira and co. Their strikers should be shackled by our defense. I hope Xavier plays! Dimas has been on all tournament, and Couto and Costa, well you can't say enough.

Rui Costa has to play well...cannot miss goals. Conceicao can abuse either Thuram or Lizarazu as can Figo. That will open it up for Nuno, Rui, and JVP. They have to be dead on. They will not get many chances as Blanc and Dessaily are outstanding. Also we have an extra day of rest following an easier game..it should help.

All in all I think we will win 3-1!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Well, everybody said it all. France is not untouchable in any way, and "champ" labels are useless, as our players showed to Germany ( uhuhu :D ) They can't fail goals, but then they've scored in most of their chances so far.

Sure they have to watch out for "dangerous" players, but I'm worried with freekicks and cornerkicks, as the French are very dangerous in that kind of play. Our team also can't get nervous like they did with Turkey, it could have fatal consequences with Djorkaeff and Zidane around.

A good playing Portugal can wipe out France, and I have no doubt about that!

What I'm mad about is that when the game starts I'll be in a FREAKING STUPID EVALUATION MEETING at school that starts at the same time!!! :(
But if we win, they'll put our flag on the school's _flagstick_ (whoops, how do you call that in English?), and there will be party and surely too much alcohol circulating :)

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
flagpole

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
I'm curious!

Where you posting from, Gamerod?

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
I can accept that figo CAN eat up Thuram but Sergio Conceicao? lets not be ridiculus...

Thuram Vs Figo,what a match up! be sure Figo will have to try very well to conquer the best defender in the world.The flies will eat iron and the musquitos steel...

FORCA PORTUGAL AND THURAM!!!!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Did you hear what's Desailly's comment about Figo? He admitted that Figo is a better player than Zidane!

And a champion lable really shows nothing....it didn't mean that France is stronger...but they are damned lucky (included in 98WC)!:mad:

Anyway, Good Luck, Portugal :)

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
All I can say is that my chest hurts, my stomach hurts, and my legs and arms feel extremely weak…. In other words I am already nervous…

I hardly slept last night… since last game I predicted the result through a dream, now I am afraid of having a nightmare… every time I start dreaming about the game I wake up.

I guess you could say that I am seriously addicted to soccer. I need to go to SA meetings…Soccer Anonymous….

Lets hope for the best…..

:) FORCA PORTUGAL :)

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Lets give the French a lesson their never EVER gonna forget! :)

FORCA PORTUGAL!!!
OLE OLE OLE

FORCA PORTUGAL!!!
OLE OLE OLE

FORCA PORTUGAL!!!
OLE OLE OLE

FORCA PORTUGAL!!!
OLE OLE OLE

FORCA PORTUGAL!!!
OLE OLE OLE

·
Registered
595 Posts
To Pila: I was posting from school, which is in Portugal. Now I'm at home, which is also in Portugal :)

Thanks Marco, flagpole it is :)

[Edited by Game Rod on 27-06-2000 at 23:49]

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Where in Portugal, my man?

Trying to figure out if we have some mutual friends.
:) :) :)

·
Registered
595 Posts
The school is in Alentejo, near Ourique. I live near Palmela in the countryside, and I used to live in Setúbal before.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts