Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can Chievo become the 7th sister?

As we know Italian Serie A had been made famous by the seven sisters ( Juventus, Milan, Inter, Parma, Roma, Lazio, Fiorentina). Sadly Fiorentina is no more in the serie A next season.
How many of you think that Chievo with its attractive football can become the 7th sister (the missing link) in the next season.

Can chievo handle the pressure for the second year running?
It is an intriguing question as most of its super-stars are going to be sold in the summer to other clubs. Do they have enough finance to create another impressive squad. They would be needing depth as they would be playing the UEFA CUP this year.

what are ur thoughts on this point?

Atleast if they don't repeat their performance, they have made me a chievo fan and i suppose there are more like me.

Best of luck to Chievo for next season.

As italians would say " FORZA CHIEVO":)

Ciao.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I guess so... as you said chievo's best players will be sold to bigger, more established clubs. This could prove to be their downfall - as the team brings in new players that may not gel together quickly. With the money that they will earn from their uefa qualification, im sure they can keep most of their star players in verona.

Only then can they perform consistently. If the club adopts a revolving door policy of buying and selling - then i'd say their future isnt so bright as we hope it to be.

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
I just hope they can, but like we see every year, little clubs best players get bought my bigger teams. If they can hold onto most of their current squad they can for sure, but I can't see players like Eriberto and Manfredini staying. Anywho I hope they do and good luck to Chievo :)

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
No, they cant.

Only thing that is left to be proved next season is if Del Neri is really as good coach as he seems to be.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am quite surprised. I was looking forward for a healthy discusion in this thread :hopefull: , especially from the senior xtratime fans of serie A.

It seems there are not a lot of Chievo fans as i assumed before.:sigh:

One news I have come across is that the wingers Manfredini and Eriberto are supposedly joining Lazio for the next season.

Hope Chievo finds apt replacements for them.

The key to chievo's success has largely depended on these previously mentioned guys as well as Corini and del neri.

Anyway I shall be supporting them next season (except when they face Milan ;) )

Ciao

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Sorry mate, you are right. :)

Well, in my opinion Chievo can't become the 7th sister (I even doubt Parma is a sister anymore...) because they don't have the financial means. When Parma started in Serie A, they had the ability to keep their best players and also make great buys like Stoichkov (even if it didn't work out), Brolin, Asprilla and Dino Baggio. Parma's downhill started when they started to sell their players. With Chievo selling their players right away, unless they replace them with equal and Del Neri is a magician, they simply won't manage to have a team as competitive in Seria A as before... Lets not forget that Parma might be a small city, but the Tardini, even a small stadium, is most of the time full while Chievo at an average game has about 15.000 fans, since they are the second team of Verona after Hellas.

Personally, I think it was a one-off thing. Let's see how Del Neri does next season though...

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Lots of rookie teams play well one season and then gets relegated or become a bottom table team. We all remember Reggina some years ago, Atalanta last year and now Chievo. The first half of Serie A they were even league leaders for a while and played incredible football but later fell down to final reach a uefa cup place. Next season it won't be the same thing. First of all they will lose their key players and probably even their coach Del Neri and if they won't replace them with some other great stars it will be really difficult to hang on in Serie A. I don't think they have the economical resources to become a seven sister either. let's now see what will happen to teams like Modena and Como.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am sorry to differ with you nick, but all have seen Chievo play this year. They were much better than Atalanta or Reggina in the previous years. Their performances were largley due to the poor performances of the big teams (milan, inter ). this year chievo's performance never depended on the performances of the big teams (atleast i think so).
although i admit that it will be all the more difficult for them to repeat this kind of performance due to the financial factor.
I will keep my fingers crossed for them.:)

Ciao.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FOR AMOROSO!

It is too earliy to say that Parma has lost/losing its designation as one of the sisters. this year is supposed to be a freak year for Parma. Keep ur head high dear friend.
The serie A needs all these sisters to become the super powers of european football once again.

One thing is a worry though, Parma selling its best players too often.:confused: Is the Tanzi family sort of money or is it only greedy:greed: .

:star: FORZA SERIE A :star:

Ciao

·
Registered
46,764 Posts
I agree with Nasty Nick. I remember Zeman's Foggia. They played a wonderful football until they had players like Signori, Baiano, Shalimov, Kolyvanov, Di Biagio.... and Zeman as a coach. Now Foggia is in C-2. Chievo will do the same: perhaps next year they will still play a good championship, but in a few years they will be relegated to serie B, I'm sure.

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
In my opinion, Chievo have potential to be what Wimbledon was to English football for many years, i.e. the big underdog who manages to survive at the top for a LONG time. It's refreshing to see a clun like them do well, and their style of play is also a much-needed breath of fresh air in Serie A too.

Some players may leave, but surely Chievo can find suitable replacements and the core of the team won't be ripped out.

It's something of a phenomenon to see clubs rise and fall dramatically, but in my opinion it says a lot about the problems so many clubs are having. Therefore Chievo and revitalised clubs like Atalanta, Torino, Piacenza and now Modena and Como are ready to take advantage of the situation and take the places of the troubled clubs. It's one of those cycles which happens in football.

·
Registered
879 Posts
somehow i think that CV will dont spiral downward next year.. or even the year after.. they seem too smart.

I think they will sell some of their players... but just enough that they needed.. no more.

Seriously though.. outside of the five clubs, lazio, inter, milan, roma, juventus... can you tell me of a club that will FOR SURE.. be better?

so.. there is always room for a 6th place serie A team that can manage itself well.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Next season will stand the test of time for Chievo,Who will go who will come will be interesting.How will the players and coach cope will all stand to be seen.Perhaps Bologna will become a sister!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts