Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean can we? If we get confident like we were in the GC...then for sure....Holger has added a new degree of confidence to the team thats for sure......

The group we are in now is one that we should qualify from:
Panama-2 wins
Trinidad-1 win, 1 tie
Mexico-2 losses (I am hoping for 1 draw at least!)

what do you guys think?

Oh yeah...Mexico is really going to be pumped up to beat us this time around....

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I think Canada has to be a good bet to progress to the final round, where the competition will be considerably stiffer.

In this round, we may be able to get points off Mexico when the teams meet in Toronto in November, particularly if it's cold and miserable weather. But assuming Mexico wins all 6 games, Canada can advance with two wins and two draws against Panama and T&T.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'd have to say that there's a pretty good chance Canada should be able to make. The only team that Canada should find problematic in the group is Mexico. Beating them in Mexico City is difficult task for every team. But I think we should have enough points to make it.

The real problem for the Canadian team is the home games. There are usually more fans of the opposition team than there are of the Canadian. I find watching these type of games to be somewhat disturbing.

I'm not really sure why so few people attend soccer games in Canada. It has the most participants of any amateur sport in Canada yet few people attend the games. I mean if in Vancouver we can get 4000 to 5000 people to watch the 86ers, why cant we get bigger crowds to games for the National team? I haven't any clue?

My real dream is for Canada to score in WC 2002, not like WC86 when they didn't even manage a goal. Here's to hope.

·
I Need More Cowbell!
7,047 Posts
This is why Canada has a good chance to beat Mexico.

1) Mexico is way over rated, they think they are better than they really are.

2) Mexico is used to sunny weather and won't satnd the feezing temperatures in Toronto, specially in November.

3)Over confidence

4) Canada is playing its best football since 85-86

I think, in fact I know that CONCACAF is the weakest Federation. That's why Mexico goes to just about every WC
(shame on them for not making it to Italy '90). On the FIFA rankings, besides the US, the highest ranked team is Canada (somewhere in the 40's).

PS- Canada can pretty much take care of T&B and Panama.:)

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
WOW!!!!!! whata stunner.

Stern John and Yorke can do even better i am sure.

Also i honestly think that the Oceana division is even weaker than COncacaf. After Australia i am sure that a team like even Cuba could beat every team from Oceania.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
I am simply to lazy to make any sort of attempt to even think about the country I live in's chances of making the world cup. I have no passion for them. But I hope to see them there. :)

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
I feel the same as you Eclipse!
Its not that i don't have a passion for the country but its the country itself that doesnot seem to have a passion for the most beautiful game.:(

Once the country gets some passion for the game, then i'll develop some passion towards the country!

Has anyone heard of this: In Toronto, there's been some talks about TO bidding for the 2008 Olympics who just failed
and after that, in the political arena, there's been some talks about Canada bidding in the future (maybe in the vicinity of 2014 or 2018) for the World Cup!)
Imagine a World Cup game in mid June in Edmonton or Vancouver or Quebec City or Toronto in the middle of the Stanley Cup finals...with all these canadian fans still with their Leafs or Oilers or Canadiens or Flames flags still in the Stanley Cups finals being swapped by all these football fans from all over the world!!!
Would be awesome!

[Edited by San_Siro_1 on 21-07-2000 at 06:17]

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If Canada were to host the WC...where would the first game be played? I vote for Montreal...

G

·
So Canada is able to hosts the World Cup? :cool:

Since theyr'e in the same group as Mexico I don't fancy Canada's chacnes. Mexico somehow seem to go through each time.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Canada couldn't possibly host a World Cup. :rolleyes: We don't have more than three natural-grass stadiums of suitable size in the whole country!

[Edited by giglio on 22-07-2000 at 03:22]

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
canada is great and all, but it doesnt have the followers of soccer. i mean this country has people from all over the world living here and i dont know how in the world they cant get supporters. This is really sad. we have hockey, baseball, basketball, football(the saddest league of any sport, the CFL..hahahahahha), golf and other bull**** sport....oh ya, CURLING..HAHA WHY NOT SOCCER? WE ARE TRAPPED IN A COUNTRY THAT DOESNT FEEL ANYTHING FOR THE GREATEST SPORT IN THE WORLD. SOCCER IS IN THE HEARS OF EVERYONE IN THE WORLD EXCEPT CANADA!

well, i am praying to god for canada to make the wc so they get more recognition in their own country so we could get more soccer coverage of the greatest leagues in the world like italy, spain, germany, france, argentina, brazil....damn! CANADA SUCKS! :)

another reason i would love to see canada in the wc is so they could get their ASSES whiped by coutries like france, brazil, argentina, spain, yugoslavia, italy.....man, their games are going to be high scoring...scores like 9-0 or 6-0.....who wants to see canada get KILLED! HAHAHA

guys, i like to see fellow people from canada tell me who they are......anyone here from canada and what city?

im in VANCOUVER, THE CITY OF THE CANUCKS AND THE SAD GRIZZLIES!!!! YAY! :)

G

·
I thought New Zealand was the only country in the world who didn't give a toss about soccer.

Now I heard Canada doesn't either, aswell as India who are cricket mad. :eek:

How coul almost a billion people like sport that moves at a pace which makes watching checkers exciting? :confused:

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Soccer is the most-played amateur sport in Canada - not hockey. There is a whole generation of youngsters and their parents who are exposed to soccer on a regular basis for four months a year.
I believe there is plenty of interest in soccer in Canada. All we lack is a real professional domestic league, and for that we don't have enough professional players and sponsorship interest.

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
argentina

those are some real stupid comments. You want to see Canada get whipped? Aren't you an immigrant (or your parents are immigrants)..you want to see the country that has let you live a good life get whipped?

Canada has 10 stadiums capable of hosting the WC..if the Montreal Expos get a new stadium then that is 11 stadiums capable of hosting..

·
International
8,545 Posts
The problem in Canada is that the sport isn't taken seriously. When parents enroll their children in soccer programs, it's only a "summer" sport to keep them occupied, and one that is relaively cheap compared to others such as hockey. It's also considered a "safe" sport for young children.

Now believe it or not, there's more people registered in soccer programs than there is in hockey programs. That is a fact, it may be hard to believe, but it is 100% true.

Now what happens to a kid when he's enrolled in a soccer program. His parents just want him to "have fun". As he gets older, it keeps him in good shape, and nothing more. Now if the kid doesn't have parents to push him like he might if he were playing hockey. A lot of parents of hockey kids push their kids because they want them to go far, and maybe become professional. In soccer it's often not even a consideration.

Now the kid gets older and maybe joins a "rep team" At this rep team he has a coach who could be any of us, not a coach who really knows anything about player development. A few years go by and the kid reaches a DEAD END. There's nothing for him to go for now as there is no real worthwhile "semi-professional" organization. The CSL was a joke, as is the NASL or whatever they call it.

Through the formative years, the kid has no real guidance, and nothing to look forward to. The kid needs self motivation in order for him to reach a higher level. Since the kid lives in Canada, he knows there's not going to me many scouts out to look at him. So the kid is demoralized, and football becomes a thing on the side, a passion that will only remain a passion, and not turn into anything else.

Of course there are exceptions to this, but not too many. There's no such thing as "player development" in this country as relates to football.

In hockey there's tripleA, then doubleA and so on, while in soccer it's not such a clear line to professinal play. There's no structure in what amounts to an almost non-existent program.

For all you living in Canada, how many of you felt like you were that kid? You loved playing the game, and you felt like you had some talent, but there was nobody there to refine it for you, no guidance and basically no hope. You might have thought "oh well I'm not good enough to become professional anyway" but if you had the right guidance at the right age, you could have have been trained in a way that you could have reached your goal.

That being said, we can qualify for the WC, but 1 point out of the first two games(including a weak Panama) isn't a great start.

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
I'm glad that FINALLY in this forum we got some life!Keep it up people!

OK, Argentina its very nice to see people here from Canada cheering for the most beautiful game of the world, football!
I'm from Toronto and i also like your initiative of knowing more about all the canadians in here.
So the other canadians, manifest yourseloves!

Well Argentina, i don't think that Canada will get whipped by the big nations in the world cup should Canada reach that level. And Marcoa has a good point on what do you want "the country that allowed a lot of people and their families to live a good life being whipped".

Marcoa is right, Canada has at least 10 stadiums able to host World Cup games and maybe 11 if the EXPOS get a new one
It would be really beneficial for the country in all aspects
if they host a World Cup:
-they will see what the real competition is about and really see what real football is all about.
- economically it is going to be a HUGE source of extra income for the whole economy not only during, but also before and after the event.
- this will definitively help boost the interest for football in canada and may result in a league of its own well organized in which young talents can develop and improve which will obviously strengthen the national team...

I agree with all your analysis IVO. You have seen it right and i could not have said it any better.

So how many of you do follow the local leagues such as the American league (in which Vancouver and Toronto are playing)
or the winter indoor league?I personnally don't care about any of them because whenever i watch them play i fell asleep. Its so much boring with so many easy mistakes that even Under 15 teams of any big european clubs could avoid. However, it would be time that we start to follow what's going on under our noses...

So anyone in here are going to watch the coming huge world cup qualification clash between Brasil and Argentina with real canadians?
I will try to watch it at a brasilian bar with some canadian friends. We have in a way a duty of teaching or rather making these people discover the beautiful game so they can do the same to other people and on...till a lot of people get that fabulous virus of football.

Anyways, keep this forum alive with interesting discussions

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Hello? Earth to Canucks! Earth to Canucks!

Where exactly are we hiding these "10" stadiums capable of hosting World Cup games? I know none of them are in Toronto.

The smallest stadium used in the 1994 World Cup in USA was RFK Memorial in Washington DC - Capacity 56,600 people. The others were 60-80,000, except for the Rose Bowl, where the final was held, capacity 102,000. Nothing in Canada with natural grass comes even close.

Toronto is working on a bid to host the Olympics. To host the soccer events several stadiums would have to be built or renovated. And the Olympic soccer tournament is tiny compared with the World Cup!

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
IVO makes some good points, but I don't agree that parents don't take the game seriously when they enroll their kids. I have been to many kids games and the parents are just as fanatical as they are in hockey leagues. Moreover, there is a very high regard for soccer among the "ethnic" population, including a lot of parents (and kids) who are quite knowledgeable about the game.

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well I am pretty much a washed up player but I remember my parents pushing me just as hard for soccer as they did for ice hockey (which I am better at). The problem here is the frame of mind that the people have about canadian soccer. The "We suck, so lets not even bother attitude". How do you expect people to show an passion for the team if they don't get this idea out of their head. I cheer emphatically for Canada, as much as I do for Portugal. I am happy when they win and sad when they lose.

As for the Stadia, quit comparing us with the Yanks, we are not like them and never will be...but we do have 10-11 stadiums in the nation.

Vancouver
Edmonton
Calgary
Regina
Winnipeg
Toronto (at least 2-skydome, varsity?)
Ottawa
Montreal (2 stadiums..Olympic stadia and Labatt Park (maybe) )
Hamilton

Thats 11 stadiums folks. Sure they would need to be renovated, except Labatt Park, but hell the amount of income that the Cup would generate would be enormous. Opening game has to be in the heart of the nation....MONTREAL!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts