Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Belgium can. They are playing very good (yeah, I know you will say against Panama and Tunisia everyone would win). But the biggest favourites aren't playing very good, so they have big chances. Let's see them with England first.
We need to see Mexico other games, because with one good game the don't pass the group stage. Everything is possible (Leicester won the Premier League, why can't Mexico win the world cup).
Croatia has the biggest chances of the 3 of them. Winning against Argentina 3-0 isn't a small thing (though Argentina played awful). As they will probably top their group they will probably miss France in the round of 16. And there they are at the quarter-finals (they will go further).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Belgium can. They are playing very good (yeah, I know you will say against Panama and Tunisia everyone would win). But the biggest favourites aren't playing very good, so they have big chances. Let's see them with England first.
We need to see Mexico other games, because with one good game the don't pass the group stage. Everything is possible (Leicester won the Premier League, why can't Mexico win the world cup).
Croatia has the biggest chances of the 3 of them. Winning against Argentina 3-0 isn't a small thing (though Argentina played awful). As they will probably top their group they will probably miss France in the round of 16. And there they are at the quarter-finals (they will go further).
I think among these teams, Mexico has a greater chance to win the world cup. They defeated Germany,Korea and their performance was beyond the expectation.

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
Belgium has a real shaky defense.

Attacking wise they are excellent. Need to see them in Action against England to really get a good picture of how far they can progress.

·
Registered
7,509 Posts
I'm going to wait till the final draw for the KO draws is out so I can determine their actual chances of winning the World Cup. Before then I'd like to see how Belgium does against England (should really pummel them) and how Mexico responds to Sweden.

A brief take on these three. When it came to Belgium in the last World Cup, they choked against an Argentina that has no defensive line. Who knows maybe their beliefs have changed this time around? But their defense still looks suspect or maybe they are just careless when they are ahead. I hope they are legit.

Mexico is a team that has historically beaten many good sides OR lost to them by a narrow margin in the knockout rounds for the most part. So far they are consistent but their obvious flaws are that they waste lots of opportunities to score on the counter, good ones especially, also they are prone to defensive mistakes in the latter half of the matches. They have an irrational phobia of Argentina, perhaps if they avoid them they can do well here.

Croatia historically hasn't been consistent at the World Cups, much better in the Euros. However, so far they handled Nigeria with ease without breaking a sweat. Seems like they play African sides pretty well. Then they followed it up by beating Argentina in convincing fashion.

Thing is though Croatia had a pretty damn difficult World Cup qualification group with attacking sides. They managed to do well there. When they played the tricky playoffs against Greece, they didn't show panic, they stomped them. Before that in the Euros they defeated Spain. They are gradually getting the results. Defensively they are getting better. In this World Cup, Nigeria and Argentina failed to score on them. On the otherhand Belgium conceded some cheap goals and Mexico nearly did as well. So if I had to look at things defensively, Croatia look resolute in comparison to these two teams. So far at the moment I'm leaning toward Croatia. But I still want to see the KO map to see who has the best odds.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts