Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously not this season, since it already has an owner. :strong:

Seriously, Athletic has a good squad, with high level players like Yeste, Iraola or Del Horno and some more who can do a great job when they're at 100%. Probably, Athletic is the team in better form in the last couple of months and they've shown that they can beat anyone anywhere.

I'm too young to recall the Athletic of the early-mid 80s that won everything. I know that some years ago they were runner-up and they got a place in the CL, but I see more talent in this team that the one I mentioned before.

IMO, the defensive line is still too weak to be a real contender for the title. Lately, the champions are teams that don't allow many goals. The question is: can it be solved? If so, do you see this squad fighting for La Liga soon?

I already know Athletic limitations for their own policy and economically, but football is not maths and Valencia and Depor have shown that you can win La Liga, even having less than a half of the budget of the 2 big clubs.

What do you think?

·
4,421 Posts
The problem is taht big teams from Europe will be soon buying all of our stars, but if we keep them, and solve our defense problem we may be fighting for the title in coming seasons

I think that we have a better team than that which did the CL, we have the greatest Athletic since the last Gabarras, so I have the ilusion that we can win something soon

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
I agree Bio, in a way I hope that Athletic doesn't sell their stars, even if it means that they might win La Liga, but I have such admiration for what they do and represent.

I am rooting for them to make it to the CL, I think they can make it even after losing ot FCB in Barcelona in a couple of weeks:D

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
BioJedi said:
The problem is taht big teams from Europe will be soon buying all of our stars, but if we keep them, and solve our defense problem we may be fighting for the title in coming seasons

I think that we have a better team than that which did the CL, we have the greatest Athletic since the last Gabarras, so I have the ilusion that we can win something soon
Totally agree.. If all the big clubs keep on buying the stars away, there will be no chance. Have to say without the stars, no teams would be as complete as Athletic. Not even Real Madrid or Barcelona..

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
I commented this some time ago, at the end of last season I think, and I don´t think it´s a bilbainada. We have a good young team that can only get better. It´s true rich teams will come for our players but it´s also true home players have demonstrated they prefer to stay here even earning less money, if we become league contenders there will even be less excuses for them to leave.

Appart we have good players in the youth system if we need to cover any position, actually the (for many) best generation of Lezama still have to make their debut, we´ve only seen Fernando Llorente but we still have to see his 85´ generation teammates; Garmendia, Amorebieta, Galdós, De Paula and Campanera. These 6 players are considered by many one of the best generations of Lezama, as I already said I´m specially fan of Joseba Garmendia. Of course all of them won´t become stars (by instance, Andoitz and Campanera´s progression has stopped a bit) but from such a good generation we´ll have useful players for sure.

We have a problem in the defense, true. First thing is that we lack a tall strong defender to stop tank style strikers, Murillo and Prieto aren´t too good on the air, specially the first. We had Aitor Ocio but Zubi decided he wasn´t necessary since we had Karanka.:rolleyes: Fernando Amorebieta is the man for that position but he has problems with injuries, let´s hope he can make it. Also, the way Valverde wants us to defend isn´t the best (for my taste) but well, I suppose we´ll improve that.

Anyway, we have a team that will bring us a lot of happines, I´m sure.;)

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
BTW, I want to mention something that maybe some haven´t noticed but I think it´s important.

I think we all agree motivation and mental strenght is very important in this sport, right? We all know how a moment or a game can change a team. Well, I think there´s a before and after in Athletic, and I think that turning point was the Standard game.

Before, we were already strong home but played with fear away from San Mamés. Since then our players are sure of their possibilities and know they can beat anyone anywhere, they have a champion mentality, and even when things have gotten bad, (0-3) they stayed calmed and played their football (with the fans support) because they know noone is superior to them, at least in San Mamés. Indeed, I think if we win something this season (and what we can make in the following years) it will be partly thanks to the "Liège spirit".

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Agree with you all, if we can keep players like Yeste, Etxebe, Del Horno, Iraola etc at the club, and we can keep them at the level they are now, I don't see why we can't win the league...

However, over the last year we're most times doing good against direct competitors like Betis, Sevilla, Atletico etc, also against big teams like Barça and Real (most times), but we're poor against teams like Albacete, Numancia... I think that's a bid our problem, at least of the first half of the season.

But as long as our most important players are not going to move, and if there will come some new youngsters like Iraola, why not?

We also need a good bench, what for example if Yeste breaks his ankle and is out for 6 months? We need someone with (almost) the same level if we really want to make a challenge... anyway, there's are oppurtunities.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just like some international teams, the Athletic can be really good for one generation and useless in another.

look at Scotland, they used to have a decent team, now they can't beat the Faroe Islands!

All they can do is get the best coach possible, and hope that their players' national pride will make up for the fact that they are less talented than La Liga's foreign sides.

Is it the policy that Athletic can have a foreign coach or does he have to be Basque?

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a question. How are the salaries of the players? I mean, Athletic doesn't have to pay huge transfers because of its policy. Where does the money go? Maybe Athletic could retain the key players paying higher salaries, as you did with Julen Guerrero long ago. At least, the spine of the team could be saved.

Another question: What happens with the "new stadium"? You've said many times that San Mamés is already too little. I understand that the stadium is a symbol, a place loved by the fans, but if Athletic could get more resources, why not a bigger stadium? There's a point where you have to put tradition and future on the table and decide what you need to do.

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Koeman4 said:
Just a question. How are the salaries of the players? I mean, Athletic doesn't have to pay huge transfers because of its policy. Where does the money go? Maybe Athletic could retain the key players paying higher salaries, as you did with Julen Guerrero long ago. At least, the spine of the team could be saved.

Another question: What happens with the "new stadium"? You've said many times that San Mamés is already too little. I understand that the stadium is a symbol, a place loved by the fans, but if Athletic could get more resources, why not a bigger stadium? There's a point where you have to put tradition and future on the table and decide what you need to do.
First of all, I'm not the man to give answers, but from my own point of view:
Retain key-players paying higher salaries? I agree, players like Yeste and Etxebe should get what they want.
Where does the money go to? First of all we haven't got one big sponsor just as most teams have, what Real Madrid receives from Siemens is just as large as whole our profit I guess... and don't forget, because of our policy we doesn't have to pay huge transfers, but it also means we doesn't earn a lot, we're not selling our players for a huge amount either... which was the last one?

Our stadium... hmm, we don't need to build a new one I think, if needed, why not expanding San Mamés? That's also possible I thought... that way we can keep our tradition and look forward to (a good) the future, many teams have kept their tradition and rebuilded their stadium, not sure of expanding is possible though.

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Knoert said:
First of all, I'm not the man to give answers, but from my own point of view:
Retain key-players paying higher salaries? I agree, players like Yeste and Etxebe should get what they want.
Where does the money go to? First of all we haven't got one big sponsor just as most teams have, what Real Madrid receives from Siemens is just as large as whole our profit I guess... and don't forget, because of our policy we doesn't have to pay huge transfers, but it also means we doesn't earn a lot, we're not selling our players for a huge amount either... which was the last one?

Our stadium... hmm, we don't need to build a new one I think, if needed, why not expanding San Mamés? That's also possible I thought... that way we can keep our tradition and look forward to (a good) the future, many teams have kept their tradition and rebuilded their stadium, not sure of expanding is possible though.
Of course, I would never compare what Barcelona and Madrid get from marketing sellings, tv rights, etc. with Athletic's ones. Anyway, as far as I know, Athletic has 35,000 socios, which is a great amount. Moreoever, if I'm not wrong, Txupa said that there is a lot of people who would like to be ticket holder, but they can't, because San Mamés is too "small". Seeing this pic, I see quite difficult to expand the stadium.

I guess that most of the money go to the salaries of the first team and another big amount to Lezama and the Youth system. Anyway, I'm just asking. Just wondering if Athletic could retain a player like Yeste (to say an example), if a big club appears with a big contract for him.

Going back to San Mamés. I'm not an Athletic fan, although I guess what San Mamés means for you. On the other hand, if Athletic's future could be better in a new stadium, why not? I guess that many barcelonistas missed Les Corts, when we moved to the Camp Nou in the 50s... but it was necessary to grow. If leaving San Mamés is a step forward for the club, why not?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts