Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zurich, 16 April 2004 -Meeting today at FIFA headquarters under the chairmanship of Marcel Mathier (Switzerland), the FIFA Disciplinary Committee fined the Cameroon football association CHF 200,000 and deducted six points from its national team in the preliminary competition for the 2006 FIFA World Cup™.
The punishment was imposed as a result of Cameroon’s failure to comply with the equipment requirements of Law 4 of the Laws of the Game during the African Cup of Nations 2004 in Tunisia. FIFA had shown leniency at the time for Cameroon’s attire in the group round of the competition after the association had given assurances that the team would wear authorised playing kit in the knock-out phases.

Despite this agreement, Cameroon subsequently wore the same equipment in the quarter-finals.

The Disciplinary Committee opened an inquiry on 13 February 2004 in order to rule on this serious infringement of the Laws of the Game and the association’s failure to fulfil the pledge made to FIFA.

Fifa.com

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
Another unbelievable decision by Fifa. A fine ok, eventhough I already find that over the top, but a 6 points deduction. :rolleyes: For doing something from which the other team can't bothered at all, besides the jersey-exchange at the end of course. ;)

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
...so Cameroon had SIX of their points "deducted" because they wear unusual jerseys? :wth:

Absurd. And six points are quite a heavy punishment, this could cost them the WC spot. :mute:

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
I must admit, the first time I read the story I thought it was a ridiculous punishment, and to an extent I still do. But the Cameroon FA have been very stupid also, continuing to wear the strip after FIFA told them they couldn't, and after Cameroon said they would change it.

And at the end of the day, the kit was against the rules, so why Puma decided produce and distribute it without anyone thinking to check up if it was legal is something of mystery.

The whole thing is something of a farce.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Yet another stupid decision by FIFA, while other much more serious rule-breakings go unpunished. 6 points deducted for an illegal kit is a joke. Points should be deducted for too many cards, bad fans, and other serious issues which actually harm football, not this shit. :yuck:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I honestly think this is a complete bs desicion, a fine is good for illeagal clothing but deduct 6 Points which will most probably cost the lions their WC place is very ridicolous. I think Blatter got personal issues with Issa Hayato.

But i agree with mutu that the Cameroon were very unwise to wear the kit when Fifa clearly told them it was illeagal. Cameroon probably thought that cause their man Hayato is the President of CAF, they could get through with anything.

But again when i think now about how Egypt suffered over the years from similar false decisions, i say its about time we get something back. I particularly remember when the WCQ 1994 game with Zimbabwe was replayed in France because a stone was shot in the feild. And eventually we teid and couldn't make it to the WC. Also for 2002 WCQ we were tremendously abused by Algerian fans in that last crucial game that wouldve saw us through if we won. Our coach got a stone on his head and was bleading live on cameras, plus the teams bus wuz shot with bottles and broke the windows. And what happens, nothing, no game replay, no fine, no WC.

Anyways i still think this is too much of a sanction, but i still believe that Cameroon are not out of the world cup yet. They will play all their games with extra potential to make up for the lost six points. And hey dont forget Ivory Coast, a team with tremendous talent that could be the new Senegal.

So basically this group is still "the group of death" with Egypt, Ivory Coast, and Cameroon all challenging for a place in Germany despite the contradictive Fifa decision.

·
Banned
129 Posts
I am happy for the Egyptians,their chance has become extremely strong!Actually if they failed this time I suggest they stop playing football at all!

Stupid decision by the way!I think any so-so appeal could enlighten it a little bit.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MoDa said:
I am happy for the Egyptians,their chance has become extremely strong!Actually if they failed this time I suggest they stop playing football at all!
I cant hide that im kind of happy to for the advantage Egypt has now, but honestly I would've liked it if all teams would have started on equal points. I won't be so satisfied now if Egypt qualifies, people are probably gonna think we went to Germany cause of Cameroons sanction.

And again man, dont ever under-estimate Ivory Coast. Trust me when I tell you their just as strong as Egypt and Cameroon.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Ahlawy said:
I cant hide that im kind of happy to for the advantage Egypt has now, but honestly I would've liked it if all teams would have started on equal points. I won't be so satisfied now if Egypt qualifies, people are probably gonna think we went to Germany cause of Cameroons sanction.
It's quite simple, really. If Egypt qualifies with an advantage of more than six points over Cameroon, then the Egyptian qualification will be unquestionable. However – if you qualify with an advantage of less than six points over Cameroon, then you will have qualified due to their "deduction".

On the other hand.. in either of those scenarios, Egypt would be in Germany to play the World Cup in 2006, and that's what ultimately matters.

Good luck, by the way. ;)

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Garrincha said:
However ?if you qualify with an advantage of less than six points over Cameroon, then you will have qualified due to their "deduction".
I believe this would cause a vicious circle. Other matters should not be included into football. Cameroon certainly would claim it to the court if so. Others would follow under similar cases. Please don't bring football into the court!

·
Registered
57,416 Posts
Tardelli's one lucky bastard. :D

Don't really care if the decision is fair or not, we've been robbed before so i don't give a ratsarse about others. Now we have to do the job on the pitch. And Cameroon didn't exactly impress in the last CAN so we have the chance to beat them. But Ivory Coast will be a threat no doubt. Especially with Drogba :skull:, Kalou, Aruna, etc.. in their talented side.

The first game away to Sudan on June 6th is crucial. Only a win is accepted.

Grazie FIFA :happy:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Garrincha said:
It's quite simple, really. If Egypt qualifies with an advantage of more than six points over Cameroon, then the Egyptian qualification will be unquestionable. However – if you qualify with an advantage of less than six points over Cameroon, then you will have qualified due to their "deduction".

On the other hand.. in either of those scenarios, Egypt would be in Germany to play the World Cup in 2006, and that's what ultimately matters.

Good luck, by the way. ;)
Ture say. Actually id feel all good with qualification if we get to defeat Cameroon when we meet them to assure our right in qualifying to Germany.

Its also true that in both cases, Egypt qualifies and thats what counts. Im pretty sure no one cared about the fact that Egypts national team was terrorized in Algeria in our last game for WCQ and that we lost our 1-0 lead that could have sent us to Korea & Japan because of crowd violence. All they thought of was that Senegal made it to the World Cup.

And thanks alot for the good luck man, I really hope we make it to the finals. :)

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Y'know, I don't know what bothers me most, Fifa "deducing" 6 points from Cameroon for their refusal to conform to a stupid technicality or the technicality itself. Why can't Cameroon try a different style of jersey? Competition swimmers are always trying new materials in their uniforms, to improve performance. Many women's volleyball teams use skintight jumpsuits similar to what the Cameronese NT was using. WHY can't Cameroon try something different? What is Fifa afraid of? I really don't understand punishing someone over this. What, is Fifa suggesting that wearing the skintight jumpsuits gave Cameroon an unfair advantage? And even if it did... when one team wearing special ultralight dri-fit uniforms faces a team whose jerseys aren't so sophisticated, isn't that a similar "advantage"?

Through history, the materials used for football jerseys, shoes, shin guards and keeper gloves ALL were improved and changed: goalkeeper gloves that once were made of simple leather, now have special high-attrition rubber on the palms that stop the ball from slipping. And shirts that once were pure cotton now are made of delicate microweaves that don't absorb sweat. It's called PROGRESS. Fifa never objected to these changes before. Of course, not all "innovations" resist the test of time, but change and progress can't be seen as bad things. Or can they?
:confused:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Garrincha said:
Y'know, I don't know what bothers me most, Fifa "deducing" 6 points from Cameroon for their refusal to conform to a stupid technicality or the technicality itself. Why can't Cameroon try a different style of jersey? Competition swimmers are always trying new materials in their uniforms, to improve performance. Many women's volleyball teams use skintight jumpsuits similar to what the Cameronese NT was using. WHY can't Cameroon try something different? What is Fifa afraid of? I really don't understand punishing someone over this. What, is Fifa suggesting that wearing the skintight jumpsuits gave Cameroon an unfair advantage? And even if it did... when one team wearing special ultralight dri-fit uniforms faces a team whose jerseys aren't so sophisticated, isn't that a similar "advantage"?

Through history, the materials used for football jerseys, shoes, shin guards and keeper gloves ALL were improved and changed: goalkeeper gloves that once were made of simple leather, now have special high-attrition rubber on the palms that stop the ball from slipping. And shirts that once were pure cotton now are made of delicate microweaves that don't absorb sweat. It's called PROGRESS. Fifa never objected to these changes before. Of course, not all "innovations" resist the test of time, but change and progress can't be seen as bad things. Or can they?
:confused:
Yeah but the thing is FIFA told them its against the rules. Soccer kits have to be 2 pieces - a shirt and shorts, according to the rules of the game (LAW 4). Looking for an improvement within the bounds of what the law permits is OK. But doing it outside it is wrong. It becomes the same as doing anything illegal - i.e. against the rules of the game.

But then again, you can't feel sorry for Cameroon. They (be it their FA, PUMA) behaved real arogantly after being *warned* and now only have themselves to blame. They should have never stepped in the QF match against Nigeria in the same uniform.

·
Registered
57,416 Posts
Cameroon tried to challenge Blatter. Blatter clearly told Cameroon that they can't play with this kit. Cameroon were warned and they still wore the same kit in the quarter finals. We all know Blatter is an egoistic freak, so that was expected. If you challenge Blatter, you're screwed. Just ask Rio Ferdinand. ;)

Not to mention the not so good relationship between CAF President, Issa Hayatou (Cameroonian btw) and Sepp Blatter.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
**** him! Egypt sucks. :yuck: He's only lowering the quality of the WC. It's ridiculous to have a team qualifying to the WC without really qualifying. Just put a fine on Cameroon. It's even more logic to disqualify them altogether than to make them play and win the group and not letting them qualify. FIFA has a long history of absurdities and arbitrarities.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
**** him! Egypt sucks. He's only lowering the quality of the WC.
Your saying this based on what?

Man Cameroon pay the price for their arrogance, they thought they could do anything they want scince they think that they "own" the CAF. They make a mistake and have to pay the price for it.

And dont you worry we'll demolish the lions in both games in the qualifiers just like we totally out-played them in Tunis, and then no one will be able to tell us sh!t about qualifying because of the sanction.

·
Registered
57,416 Posts
Latinlover said:
**** him! Egypt sucks. :yuck: He's only lowering the quality of the WC. It's ridiculous to have a team qualifying to the WC without really qualifying. Just put a fine on Cameroon. It's even more logic to disqualify them altogether than to make them play and win the group and not letting them qualify. FIFA has a long history of absurdities and arbitrarities.
Yeah and Venezuela :howler::howler::howler: is the World champion. Gimme a break. :D

Exactly what has Cameroon added to the last 3 WCs ??!
Spot on. ;)

They added jackshit..That's what they added. :tongue:

·
Registered
40,564 Posts
Nerazzuri4life said:
Spot on. ;)

They added jackshit..That's what they added. :tongue:
Sure man, but they qualified in a fair way for those WC's and that wasn't without reason, besides 1990 was a year all Africans celebrated, or am I wrong here? Not to mention the Olympics they won, one of the huge leaps forward made by African teams in which Cameroon contributed in a great way.

FIFA just showed it's true colours once again and to deduct points just because of the shirts that were worn is nothing short of ridiculous.

I hope Cameroon appeals against this decision and common sense proves to be the winner at the end of the day.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts