Xtratime Community banner

Camatcho names team and says all of them are going to the WC. Analysis and thoughts.

847 views 38 replies 21 participants last post by  brs 
#1 · (Edited)
This is the squad Camatcho named for the friendly with North Ireland.

Goalkeepers: Canizares (Valencia), Casillas (Real Madrid)

Defenders: Puyol (Barcelona), Hierro (Real Madrid), Nadal (Mallorca), Curro Torres (Valencia), Juanfran (Celta)

Midfielders: Joaquin (Betis), Ivan Helguera (Real Madrid), Juan Valeron, Sergio (both Deportivo La Coruna), Javier de Pedro (Real Sociedad), Baraja, Albelda (both Valencia), Mendieta (Lazio)

Forwards: Morientes, Raul (both Real Madrid), Diego Tristan (Deportivo)

Now, these are 18 players. He also added that Luis Enrique is going to the WC for sure, even if he wasn't called for this game in order to rest.

That leaves 4 spare positions. Assuming one of them is going to be covered by a goalkeeper, it leaves 3. A debth chart of the confirmed players so far (possible starters in bold):

GK Canizares
GK Casillas
RB Puyol CB Hierro CB Nadal LB Juanfran
RB Curro Tores
RM Mendieta DM Helguera CM Valeron LM Luis Enrique
RM Joaquin DM Baraja CM Sergio LM De Pedro + DM Albelda
FW Tristan FW Raul
FW Morientes

These are 19, plus one goalkeeper 20. I think the rest 3 positions are going to be covered by one left back, one central defender and one striker. The probables are Romero or Sergi, Cesar and Raul Tamudo?

Another observation: the selection of both Albelda and and Baraja probably means Helguera could be used as a central defender...

Anyhow, the whole thing effectivelly means that Victor, Vicente and Salgado are going to miss out. Shame about Victor and Vicente though. And no matter what I still think Salgado is better than Curro Tores...

See less See more
#2 ·
This is dissapointing:irritate:

I was really hoping Vicente could at least be sub and show off his skills. And I prayed that Salgado would be taken, he has been inredible with Real lately, and It would bring Puyol in the center of the defence.... Also no Pep taken.

#6 ·
AMOROSO! said:
Munitis hasnt played in ages for Real... is he injured or something?
A better source to ask would be one of the merengues but I don't think he is injury. More likely is the fact that there are two better players in front of him for that position, Solari and Savio.

If this is true about Camacho reserving a spot for Munitis then God help us. We will need it.

#7 ·
Camacho is an idiot. I was always trying to deny it but now i admit hes a true idiot. First off, Salgado is back to his old self and still he picks that useless Culo Torres. Then, Nadal. This guy has been terrible when called upon and that will probably mean we will have a Nadal+Hierro centreback partnership with Puyol at the RB instead of partnering Hierro. Puyol at the center is a must because he defends like an animal, we could put Salgado as a RB and we will still have that offensive flair if thats what Camacho is looking for but just Puyol must be in the center. Nadal will not be able to keep up pace with forwards like Henry or Owen. Now De Pedro. With all due respect he is not National team material. Mendieta? Its a pity what happened to him. No comment. Also, Romero has been in very good form as of late. But i think Camacho is blind.

#10 ·
No sir. Don't even try and tell me this kind of Spain are going to be battling for anything - this is just a crap team. Nothing special. Let's face it.

Nadal?
Curro Torres?

Ridiculous. Almost hilarious. And even worse, they might be considered as starters(!).

Just like the Spain at Euro2000 was nothing awesome (on paper), it might be the same case this time. But only because the national coach is plain dumb.
The 3 remaining slots will probably go to Romero (I can't believe he'll be considering Sergi), Fran and Catanha.
A couple of other players will be challenging surely.
We knew the midfield would be a big problem, because there's way too much depth there. Omitting guys like Victor, Rufete, Vicente, Munitis, Xavi is just sooo sad, but there really isn't much you can do when the others are so good.

At soccer-spain.com they have Camacho quoted: "that he prefers Puyol to play in the middle".
This is the only bit of sunshine this squad has brought me. On the other hand it almost certainly means the hopeless Curro Torres on the right:wth: This is just so funny, I can't even pretend to be mad.

#11 ·
in a word:DISGRACEFUL

This is a F*cking disgrace! I don't care what anyone says, Spain have 0 chance now of winning anything.

First off, Curro Torres is a piece of f*cking trash! This guy wouldn't make Compostela and Camacho puts him on Spain. Just think that Salgado is the CLEAR, obvious choice. If Real Madrid opted for Salgado over Zannetti on Real Madrid, and Camacho can't put him on the NT, it shows how stupid this human being is.

On to De Pedro: This guy is another guy who would fit in better at Cultural Leonesa than Spain:mad:. Now let's see the guys that could take his spot: Vicente, Munitis, Fran.. these guys aren't as good as De Pedro? These guys can't fill that spot? Please.

My hate for this man has risen to a boiling point. He said he would chose players based on form not reputation. Not only is he a biased liar, but he hasn't even chosen players with a good reputation. Even if he choses every single player that I want for the WC, I am far from happy because it will take a miracle that they will even remotly resemble a gelled team. I know I'm a Madridista, and I know people with bash me for saying this, but Morientes is a guy who didn't deserve that spot. Luque, Catanha, Mista, Victor (villareal), Angulo... these are the people who deserve that oppurtunity. They work hard for smaller teams, they don't have a Zidane or Rivaldo to help out and yet they look like a machine. Last game, Morientes was just horrible vs. Holland if anyoen defends him they are fooling themselves. Vs. Bayern even worse. 2 clear oppurtunities and missed. Now tell me, this guy gives Salgado 1 chance vs. Portugal, he plays really good and now he never calls him. Amatuer, if Berelusconi or whatever Milan's Ex pres name is thought Zoff was unproffesional, he hasn't seen light yet.

#12 ·
Here is the Nthn Ireland squad....

BELFAST, April 12 (DS) - Northern Ireland squad for friendly with Spain. The match will be played on April 17 in Belfast

Goalkeepers
Maik Taylor (Fulham FC), Roy Carroll (Manchester United FC)

Defenders
Danny Griffin (Dundee United FC), Peter Kennedy (Wigan Athletic FC), George McCartney (Sunderland AFC), Mark Williams (Wimbledon FC), Shaun Holmes (Wrexham FC), Aaron Hughes (Newcastle United)

Midfielders
Damien Johnson (Birmingham City FC), Keith Gillespie (Blackburn Rovers FC), Michael Hughes (Wimbledon FC), Jim Magilton (Ipswich Town FC), Neil Lennon (Celtic FC), Philip Mulryne (Norwich City FC), Pat McCourt (Rochdale FC), Kevin Horlock (Manchester City FC)

Forwards
David Healy (Motherwell FC), Stuart Elliott (Preston North End FC), Paul McVeigh (Norwich City FC), Warren Feeney (Bournemouth AFC)

#13 ·
Guardiola and Camacho are very good friends, and if "Pep" continues to play regulary for Berscia, I`m sure he`ll take one of the spots. Camacho like the players who has expierence. But Nadal and Hierro in the center won`t even scare the national team of Andorra.

#14 ·
Juanele said:

A better source to ask would be one of the merengues but I don't think he is injury. More likely is the fact that there are two better players in front of him for that position, Solari and Savio.
He isn't injured. Solari has been picked ahead of him, and then Guti/Macca occasionally. Thats all.

#15 ·
If we want to win the World Cup we must have the best Spanish players in the team. Calling guys like Munitis, Torres or Joaquin is a joke. Nadal? I have nothing against him, but I wouldn't put him as titular of course.

I want Mendieta in the WC. It's not our fault if Lazio is playing crap this year, I'm very sorry for him because he's an amazing player and with Spain he can play at his best. I really wish him to leave Lazio and join a good club where he can play well.

If I was the coach these would be the players:

GK: Cañizares, Molina, Iker Casillas
DF: Puyol, Hierro, Helguera, Romero, Téllez, Michel Salgado
MF: Vicente, Luis Enrique, Baraja, Valerón, Mendieta, Sergio, Albelda, Xavi
FW: Raúl, Tristán, Morientes, Tamudo, Luque (or Catanha)

I think this looks a lot better

#16 ·
Juanele said:
How has Capdevila done? I always liked him but he seems to be second fiddle at Depor behind Romero.
Yes, right now he's the second choice left back currently but earlier this season he was at least equal to Romero. Capdevila hasn't impressed me much after the winter break but playing next to Romero (DLC) in the left back position recently he was doing well. Still, definitely not NT level yet...:(

#17 ·
The team is crap anyway so it doesn't matter who goes to the WC. How do you think we can win anything with Pujol-Nadal-Hierro-Juanfran as defenders????:yuck:
Again, you are talking about Michel back in the NT but why don't you talk about Casillas and Hierro out of the team?? Nadal will be outrun but Hierro won't? :rolleyes: Please...Why do you want Pujol playing in the center?? So he can run for Hierro too? He is better right back than Michel and he must play there.
Again, Munitis?????????:confused: :confused: He hasn't played in R Madrid for ages, same thing goes for Casillas, Guardiola, Mendieta and all the players that don't play regularly in their teams. I remember when Camacho began how he was always saying that only players who played regularly in their team would go to the NT...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Albelda is also a disgrace for our midfield and I would use Luque or Tamudo instead of Morientes.

#18 ·
hmmm....

Too hard on Camacho??

I will make my opinion, which is that although the squad may not be to our liking, it still has some very positive showings. Albelda is in the team again, which I think is a very good inclusion. I am not sure about De Pedro or Joaquin, but we always have Victor and Vicente or Luis Enrique/ Munitis waiting....I believe that it perhaps is now almost impossible that Camacho names any new players in the team....I can think of many great names would deserve some chance in the national team, but again, Camacho will choose from those that he has used in the qualifiers and recent friendlies, so I wont add any more names.

However, please dont say "this team is crap" it is not.
All the players in the team are good, and most of them are "above average" to "fantastic" which is esentially "world-class" Let me put it this way, I look at numerous rivals and I dont see the depth in them that we have......(this is not egoistic Mallorquin speaking here!:rolleyes: )

The only doubt is still Casillas. Do we want a barely 21 yr old boy as our 2nd goalkeeper who is not a starter at Madrid?
What about those who are week after week showing how good they are, (Contreras, Prats, Molina.....(among others) even Unzue!.. (why not? even though in that Morientes goal, "se la comio" but still better than little boy casillas.)

Spaniard: Mista or Angulo? you must be joking?

Juanele: savio is not ahead of Munitis, and he should be ahead of Solari...

Speaking of Munitis, why do you all hate him? I think he may not be in the best of form, but he is the "fastest" extremo that we have in Spain perhaps. Remember at EURO 2000? When Munitis was first making great waves in the national team, (was a nightmare for the french (thuram) ) we were all saying he was among the best for Spain in the tournament, (while Raul was perhaps the worst) yet now we change opinions. Those who perform best with the national team should be there, regardless of what occurs in their club life. Thus perhaps that is why Mendieta and Morientes are in la seleccion......

Lets hope the team can return to winning ways, although it is only a friendly, it is our last one before the trip (where there may be other friendly exhibitions against club sides or such..) but the team should have a positive feeling, a winning sensation before they depart.....

#21 ·
OK Mallorquin, perhaps "crap" is a bit too much...Let's say that our team sucks:rolleyes:
I know that a lot of people is going to tell me that Garcia Calvo is playing in segunda but don't tell me he is not any better than Nadal!! Camacho broke his own rule of calling people who doesn't play in their teams with Mendieta o Casillas. Why not a Segunda player? Bielsa has as starter goalkeeper Burgos, who is also playing with us in segunda and Argentina is way better than us if you ask me...:rolleyes:
I suppose there is a lot of people living out of Spain in this forum (like me:depress: ) who couldn't see him play much this season but his performance this year is excellent. He has been international before, he is young, he did two magnificent seasons in Valladolid before moving to Atletico...And to tell you the truth with the problem we have in defense we could use a player like him. His last game against Xerez only can be qualified as "imperial" :D
In the goalkeeper, why Casillas? What about Molina, Ricardo, Contreras? All they play regularly in their teams and they are having good seasons...:confused:
Those who perform best with the national team should be there, regardless of what occurs in their club life.
I desagree that all those who perform in the NT team well must stay regardless what they do in their club. With very few exceptions the players than go to the NT have to be the best in the year of the WC. Otherwise we should call for Gento, Santillana, Gordillo o el Poli Rincon right now...

#22 ·
Ah, you guys are so pessimist:eek:

Mendieta is a top class player and he should play; Casillas won't be the titular goalkeeper (it's Cañizares) so I could care less. I don't like Munitis but considering there are much better Spanish players than him in his position I hope Camacho thinks a bit and don't include him. Don't blame Nadal so much, he's old but he has done a very decent season this year with Mallorca. I said I wouldn't put him as titular though.

#23 ·
Hierro and Nadal are two players who could bring calmness and routine into the team. But those two together? Hell no! But who should you bench? Nadal recives better ratings everyweek in the papers. But Hierro is a bit of a symbol of the NT, and he plays against the best in the Champions League. Well, I like Nadal better so I`ll go for him. Partnerd by Tellez. I would also like to have Puyol in the center, but there`s no better rightback since Manuel Pablo is still injured. Puyol is the best we have and that opens the gap for Tellez. Helguera is also a good option if Camacho picks Guardiola. Leftback goes to JuanFran. But since he`ll proberly recive a redcard in the firstmatch, that means Sergi will play during the rest of the tournament.

The midfield is extremly difficult. Will Camacho go for routin or youth. I would like to play with "Pep", there`s many good choises. I would also like to have Luis Enrique in the midfield. Not only because I`m a Cùle. It`s because of his fighting heart that is missed in many spanish footballers. LE21 can also play in almost every postion. Valeròn has the offensive playmaking role. It would be insane to bench one of the best players in Europe!

The wings are difficult. But I would place Luis Enrique on one and maybe Mendieta on the other. Despite the fact that he doesn`t play and spend his time on the bench now days. But we all know what potential he has. Lazio is a joke! Joaquin, Tiko, Gallardo, Victor, Vicente, Fran etc. There`re are many players that could play and deserves a spot.

Upfront it`s no question; Diego Tristàn and Raùl. One of the best striking partners in the world. Morientes is a back up. Who the fourth one should? I have no idea. Tamudo is better in smaller teams and I don`t think he`ll suit in the NT. Maybe Luque? Why not! Let`s see some future in the team already. Catanha is another good choise. Alfonso? Only jokeing!;)

When it comes to the keepers, there`s no question. Cañizares plays in another league than Casillas. I would never pick Casillas for the NT. Molina should be number second.

This team won`t win the World Cup, but a semifinal isn`t impossible. Miracels have happend.

#24 ·
To choose between Nadal and Hierro is a hard choice. Can I choose neither and leave them both off? I would but Camacho will start both. Puyol will be on the right. Juanfran most likely will be on the left. I would put Puyol in the center even though some of his effectiveness would be loss. Partner him with Tellez perhaps or even with Helguera.

If Guardiola goes to the WC and Valeron is starting I don't recommend putting Pep in. If we have that it will be a slow mid. We would control the ball really well but without the ball we would be overrun. Even though I'm a fan of both players I think we would have to strike a balance. I wouldn't mind having a 5 man midfield and including both players with perhaps Luis Enrique as the third.

Up front it has to be Raul and Tristan. I'm not a big Raul fan but he will be there regardless. Even if he does the predictable and disappears.

There are really two minds here. What I would like to see and what Camacho will put out. It's kind of pointless to talk about what I would like to see so I'll put what I think Camacho will have.

GK: Cañete
RB: Puyol
CB: Hierro
CB: Nadal
LB: Juanfran
RM: Mendieta/Joaquin
DM: Helguera
AM: Valeron
LM: Luis Enrique/De Pedro/Vicente
F: Raul
F: Tristan/Morientes

#25 ·
Benbarek said:
I know that a lot of people is going to tell me that Garcia Calvo is playing in segunda but don't tell me he is not any better than Nadal!! Camacho broke his own rule of calling people who doesn't play in their teams with Mendieta o Casillas. Why not a Segunda player? Bielsa has as starter goalkeeper Burgos, who is also playing with us in segunda and Argentina is way better than us if you ask me...:rolleyes:
I suppose there is a lot of people living out of Spain in this forum (like me:depress: ) who couldn't see him play much this season but his performance this year is excellent. He has been international before, he is young, he did two magnificent seasons in Valladolid before moving to Atletico...And to tell you the truth with the problem we have in defense we could use a player like him. His last game against Xerez only can be qualified as "imperial" :D
Argentina has also a defender from Napoli in the squad! This Quiroga guy.
And when one of the best NTs in the world plays with some 2nd league guys, Spain could do this aswell!
BTW, wasn´t Salva in the NT when he was at Atlético, too?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.